• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

What are my seat options?

smithm1979

So I bought an 09 used with a Sargent seat, not a big fan. I'd love to go with a Russell day long or a Laam but they both say you need a stock seat, which seem kinda hard to come by. Any advice? Should I keep looking for a stock seat to do one of the customs or try to find another plug and play aftermarket? Just looking to see what others have done and what they are happy with. Thanks in advance.

I did seat roulette and tried a bunch. Like u mine came with a plank , er Sargent. So I found a gel seat from an 08. No joy there either. I then went to a corbin 2 piece, used, and the word was that it takes miles for it to.break in. Loved the height and seat support, BUTT it never broke in after 10k miles. So I tried a stock seat from a 2016. Cuz the word was it was redesigned . It was ok, but not the one. I.found a used RDL cheap and unfortunately it didn't fit/work for me. It would need to be sent back for reworking for me. The. I.found the genuine Kawaski touring seat. WOW!! Wondabar! I've been using it as my primary, cuz I found a saddleman at a price i.couldnt pass up, and I'll tell u it's pretty good. The pockets a little smaller but comfy. I'm still looking a redoing the RDL tho, once I get my allowance....

I upgraded to a Corbin seat right away and really like it. The stock seat may still be somewhere in my garage......

I have stock. a Laam and Kawa touring seat. The touring seat worked best for me. I still pad up with bike shorts for the long hauls. The right seat is hard to find.

Last edited:
I have a stock, a Sargent and a Laam. I have had a 2 piece Corbin that was slippery and hard as a rock. The pocket was too far back. I sold it. I haven't really tried the Sargent much, but it's pretty firm. I've had quite the selection of C10 seats as well. If I had it to do all over, I would get an air cushion and spend time figuring out how it works best. I do like the Laam, but without the cushion my favorite riding friend gave me, I would probably still be wishing for more comfort. They don't need much air. I run mine backwards per David's recommendation. It helps make the pocket a better fit and when you need to, it can be moved around to deal with an spots that begin to be uncomfortable. I don't attach it to the bike. Try one. Lots cheaper than a seat. Someone here has one they want to sell I bet. Key is to try different positions and air pressure. Remember, very little air. Don't give up quickly. I was a confirmed doubter.

@smithm1979 I take it you do not have the seasonal downtime (winter?) experienced by many?

While you wait to find another stock seat-pan to have the custom seat mounted to - I would suggest you look at the solution my wife and I have used for comfort which is the medium size AirHawk 2. This ‘Comfort Seating System’ (as they call it) is remarkably comfortable, our experience is they will last for many years (approaching 10 years and over 100K miles no problems) and transform your ride. Both my wife and I have the AH2’s and although not flashy looking like a custom seat / our tushies (SP?) necks and spines are very comfortable for true all day riding. Cost is 85 - 90% cheaper than a custom seat, easily and widely adjustable in firmness and 30 second removable if you wish. Just a thought.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

I have a stock, a Sargent and a Laam. I have had a 2 piece Corbin that was slippery and hard as a rock. The pocket was too far back. I sold it. I haven't really tried the Sargent much, but it's pretty firm. I've had quite the selection of C10 seats as well. If I had it to do all over, I would get an air cushion and spend time figuring out how it works best. I do like the Laam, but without the cushion my favorite riding friend gave me, I would probably still be wishing for more comfort. They don't need much air. I run mine backwards per David's recommendation. It helps make the pocket a better fit and when you need to, it can be moved around to deal with an spots that begin to be uncomfortable. I don't attach it to the bike. Try one. Lots cheaper than a seat. Someone here has one they want to sell I bet. Key is to try different positions and air pressure. Remember, very little air. Don't give up quickly. I was a confirmed doubter.
I've had a Corbin for 12 years now, I'm happy, I like how far back the step is, I've always leaned forward, that's how you ride a bike right ;)

I tried handlebar risers, I took them off, I tried what others have tried, and I don't ride straight up, never have, and just because I'm 70, I'm not about to change:cautious: I tried lowering links and hated the way it changed the feel, thump, thump.
I'm going to send my seat back to Corbin for a recover because I'm the original buyer I have a lifetime warranty, when I first got my seat it had a 1.5-inch circular line that now 12 years later is ripping a little. It's a grey snakeskin.

Still have the original perfect seat, original front tubes, and original rear shock,

Last edited:
Smithm; I suggest you wait to buy a seat until you go to a COG Rally (or even better) a COG National.
There, you could set on other seats to help you make a decision.

I have a Baldwin that was built for me.
I really like it.
Unfortunately, they're now unobtainable.

Ride safe, Ted

If anyone's interested, I have a stocker, a heated/1 piece Corbin, and a ZX-14 seat here that I'd like to sale.
NOTE: The ZX seat isn't necessarily more comfortable to ride, but it would be a possibility for the *height challenged COGgers (as it sets really low).

** ie; It "would" be a "definite" benefit for Harry. 🥴

Last edited:
Wow thanks for all the replies...
As far as an air hawk, I had one on my old bike, could never get used to it, didn't like the feel of it so I got rid of it. Even with the recommendations I'm a little hesitant to try it again. Sounds like the Kawasaki touring seat is an option to try.

Wow thanks for all the replies...
As far as an air hawk, I had one on my old bike, could never get used to it, didn't like the feel of it so I got rid of it. Even with the recommendations I'm a little hesitant to try it again. Sounds like the Kawasaki touring seat is an option to try.
Not trying to twist your arm…

I also hated the AirHawk feel at first. I then realized I was using too much air. I felt like I was riding on a bubble and not stable, my feedback to the road 100% gone. After removing considerable air and testing a bit I’ve found the sweet spot and rides are void of sore behind and elsewhere.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Well I'll try the air hawk again, found one on eBay used for under fifty bucks including shipping. I think I may have had too much air in it cause that's exactly how I felt, on a bubble and not stable. Thanks for all the replies. I am doing the wellsboro event in May so maybe I can check out other seats then.

Well I'll try the air hawk again, found one on eBay used for under fifty bucks including shipping. I think I may have had too much air in it cause that's exactly how I felt, on a bubble and not stable. Thanks for all the replies. I am doing the wellsboro event in May so maybe I can check out other seats then.
I felt like the bike was leaning when it was just my tuchus leaning all over.

I’m sure there will be plenty that will share their seats, thoughts at the spring ride - good idea.

BTW - We were in same position of finding a replacement seat then landed (lol) on the AirHawk as a quick option before a ride and didn’t want to pull the trigger too quick on a custom seat without enough knowledge behind my decision. We just forgot about the custom seat thereafter.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

..I failed to mention that I also use an air hawk on my long distance rides. As the others have related too much air is BAD. Btdt..Just a couple small puffs is all it takes. Makes a world of difference..

So I bought an 09 used with a Sargent seat, not a big fan. I'd love to go with a Russell day long or a Laam but they both say you need a stock seat, which seem kinda hard to come by. Any advice? Should I keep looking for a stock seat to do one of the customs or try to find another plug and play aftermarket? Just looking to see what others have done and what they are happy with. Thanks in advance.
I think Russell will make a seat using your Sargent seat pan. You should ask them. I know they were using some Mustang seat pans for some applications at one time. They just need a seat pan to start with because they do not produce any pans. For me....I have a RDL and happy butt!