• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

What C14 parts/accessories/farkles are becoming rare/nonavailable?

x01660

On a Connie in a neighborhood near you
Hey! This is my first C14 post, as I don't have a C14.

Yet.

And that "yet" is the operative word; I hope to aqcuire one sometime this year.

So with that said, what are some off the things that I should start looking to snag? I've heard that Canyon cages are becoming rare, as well as some metal dash shelf? And AreaP full exhaust is hard to comeby (or super expensive) as well.

So what else should the soon to be C14 owner be on the lookout to acquire?

Assume the rider will be riding with bags at all times, and the bike will be ridden solo most of the time.

Thanks!

-Z

1. B.D.F. KiPASS Bypass and Low Fuel Bypass harnesses are no longer available.
  2. Phil's Racks announced here that he is closing shop and will not be manufacturing more once stock is depleted.

With regards for the c14.dash shelf. I'm still waiting for the manufacturer to fabricate and ship them to me. I should up date that thread.

A good set of (2008) ZX-14 headers are getting harder to find.
Baldwin no longer makes seats.
Anddddd, you can no longer get handlebar wedges, nor Phil's racks.

Ride safe, Ted

I did not know about ThrottleMeister, that's too bad, I transferred mine to the C-14 from my C-10.
They may not make a lot of this stuff new, but it's out there as I've found out the last 2 years. Most is in really nice shape, you just need to spend some time looking around, it hasn't reached unobtainable yet.

Of those mentioned so far, I'd say Canyon cages and the DVD sets are the most missed. Although I also would miss Ronnie's highway pegs if I didn't have a set. It could be that in the near future the farkles are going to out value the bike?

The Canyon cages could be replaced by Top Block protection from Murph and a set of rear saddle bag protectors from T-Rex Racing.
The dash shelf could probably be made by most here with access to a sabre saw and a Dremel using a baking pan from a dollar store,
some well nuts and black rattle can of paint.
-------------------------------------------------------
The DVDs?
(caution: Marty opens big ol' can o worms here)

There are several DVD duplicator/decrypter programs on the internet that may or may not duplicate the DVDs. However, (even if Fred were to openly allow and give permission for that) there is always the problem that may arise with any marketing partners he may have and or loyalty he may have to his past customers who's DVD sets would become less valuable as a resale item. Still, there could be a wink wink loan and borrow
program amongst friends with tight lips.
-------------------------------------------------------

Highway pegs could still be purchased/fabricated for clamping onto either T-Rex Racing's tip over protection or (with more work) on to Top Block protection. To duplicate Ronnie's pegs would be much more difficult as those were some stout well designed SOBs. However some taller people didn't think they were far enough out and preferred the clamp on type that could be moved to the best place for their longer legs.

The KIPASS bypass (stuck KIPASS switch bypass would be more accurate terminology) is almost described by Brian in the Spring 2011 Concourier and I think most with any electrical skills could determine how to make their own.

The same goes for the low fuel warning bypass device. Sooner or later someone will cut open their device and reveal the color codes of the resistor in there that Brian so pain$takingly researched and soon many will be able to make their own.

Not sure what if anything will replace the Rostra electronic cruise control if that ever becomes unavailable, but I think there are some that are sitting in folks garages that were never installed and those may become available with some prodding.

Phil's racks are a loss, however Givi racks are still available. I never understood the need for the handlebar wedges, but still there were/are many big fans of those so perhaps someone could be convinced to dimension those out for others to make?

I think lowering links could also probably be easily duplicated once dimensions are published...dual exhaust systems?...well if you want those you might need to pounce whenever a set becomes available, however it's probably going to $hurt$ more than the pain is actually worth in my opinion, but then that's just my opinion.

I commend -Z for bringing this subject up, as it could be an important consideration for new C14 owners.... and perhaps this thread should be moved to the C14 accessories area so it will be easily found in a search?

Last edited:
T-Rex also offers tip over bars for the front.
I think the reason why he didn't mention t rex front bars is that more aggressive riders have had the bars touch down. I have a scrape on mine from the previous owner. He didn't care for that at all. I've not ridden hard enough to have that happen.

Regarding the CDs harder and harder to even find a computer with a CD. Might be worthwhile for someone or even COG to buy the rights from Fred and put them in the Cloud as a subscription service or put them on a jump drive and sell them through the COG store.

Interesting. Many of these parts are already installed on my 09 C14 ABS that's for sale in the C14 Classifieds. Maybe I should raise the price?

Regarding the CDs harder and harder to even find a computer with a CD. Might be worthwhile for someone or even COG to buy the rights from Fred and put them in the Cloud as a subscription service or put them on a jump drive and sell them through the COG store.
You're right about CF/DVD drives on computers, but there are many external USB drives that work well. We have two of them. I had one, Irene forgot I hah it, and bought another one.
I have a set, but I like your thought about the COG store.

You're right about CF/DVD drives on computers, but there are many external USB drives that work well. We have two of them. I had one, Irene forgot I hah it, and bought another one.
I have a set, but I like your thought about the COG store.
Yes I do also but it is old technology. I bet you have a 3.5 floppy drive somewhere also. :)
First step would be if Fred is willing to sell the rights.

Ha! How about a cassette from
Yes I do also but it is old technology. I bet you have a 3.5 floppy drive somewhere also. :)
First step would be if Fred is willing to sell the rights.
Ha! How about a cassette from my Commodore 64!
(Not really)

Ha! How about a cassette from

Ha! How about a cassette from my Commodore 64!
(Not really)
...or a cassette from my TI99?....well I might have the cassette but the 99 is long gone. Probably valuable* now. :rolleyes:

*edit: I just checked eBay, nope not valuable now.

...or a cassette from my TI99?....well I might have the cassette but the 99 is long gone. Probably valuable* now. :rolleyes:

*edit: I just checked eBay, nope not valuable now.
We used to sell the TI back then. I have one with the software that an old friend gave me before he passed.

Well, not that personal old time computer memory lane wasn't fun, let me try to get this back on track with what the OP had in mind.
Just to jog your memory without making you go back to the top of the thread: What C14 parts/accessories/farkles are becoming rare/nonavailable?

I agree that DVDs have given way to 4K Blu-Ray, streaming and just flash drives....but I still think Disc media is probably the best for something you want to keep around for reference....and yes it would be nice if something could be worked out between COG and Fred at some future date.

My guess/read on the Fuel Warning Eliminator device is 110k ohms 5% tolerance (110,000 ohms plus or minus 5500 ohms ).
Feel free to make your own guess: https://fartymarty.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Brians-Fuel-Warning-eliminator-device/n-bPnd2h

(warning, opinionated response ahead) I really don't think the Fuel warning eliminator is all that desirable, since one can have the warning and the readout by just pressing the buttons on the dash, but to each their own.

Brian's KIPASS switch bypass on the other hand, could be almost trip saving if the stuck switch gremlin ever shows up while one is out and about hundreds of miles from home. It is probably easier to install as well. Although Brian chose to use a fuse as the operational part of the device, I think a normally closed momentary switch could be used instead, and might be easier to use when stuck somewhere at night.

I imagine that windshield makers will start cutting back production at some point both for the C14 and maybe even motorcycles in general (Cee Bailey has stopped completely and AeroFlow has stopped for C14) so I guess once one has established that the stock screen isn't for them that they should not dilly dally looking for a replacement. I've tried several screens on my '10 C14, and the best for me is the updated stock screen with the vent, so I'm thinking if that one doesn't suit you that you shouldn't have any trouble selling it to others with older C14s.

I think the reason why he didn't mention t rex front bars is that more aggressive riders have had the bars touch down. I have a scrape on mine from the previous owner. He didn't care for that at all. I've not ridden hard enough to have that happen.

I was looking at mine and it looks like the fairing would touch first. Not talking about highway pegs. But, I’d be on the ground by then. I wonder if there was a slight redesign at some point.

I was looking at mine and it looks like the fairing would touch first.
Hmmm, perhaps I'm not understanding you, but isn't that what they are supposed to prevent?...I'm not sure if the bike leans over in a turn different then it falls over?...if they don't prevent the fairing from touching in a turn lean..how do they protect it in a drop?

I didn't list them earlier for the exact reason Bud mentioned, I just didn't bring it up as there was no video to confirm that when the person I know wrecked with those. It was all post crash guessing by those that were there at the time.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, just across town.....
I found this post: https://forum.concours.org/index.ph...rash-bars-for-the-concours.56226/#post-673625

Their website has an 81 out of 100 on scamadviser. They are about double the price of T-Rex Racing bars but still cheaper than Top Block. The Spiffys require heat shield cutting on right side and the TopBlocks require a hole on lower black fairing on both sides.

Last edited:
I guess so. The last couple of C-14s I’ve seen on their side (right side in both cases) seemed to roll over on the bars and missed the plastic down low. One had t-Rex bars and the other had Canyon Cages. I I’m not going to lean mine over to see, though.

I have Top Blocks on mine, bought from my bike's PO, along with the front and rear slider also made by Top Block.
He told me he dropped it once, and they did their job- no contact with ground on the fairing or bag.
As for the point of contact being different when dropped or in a turn, the suspension will be compressed more in s turn then when dropped, but that seems to be too much precision for the makers of the protection to determine.

Way back when at a National they were laying a Connie down just to show how well the Top Blocks worked. Footpeg will touch and start to fold before the block. This is what is supposed to happen when riding. That way the rider knows before the bike suspension is being affected.

Way back when at a National they were laying a Connie down just to show how well the Top Blocks worked. Footpeg will touch and start to fold before the block. This is what is supposed to happen when riding. That way the rider knows before the bike suspension is being affected.

From Fred Harmon:
https://pbase.com/fredharmon/topblock

134427771.cVmunYz7.Top_Block046a.JPG

Although the Top Blocks appear to adequately protect the saddlebags in Fred's photo above, I thought (with my luck :rolleyes: ) it might be possible to drop the top heavy bike with sufficient force to "go over" the top blocks, so I added the canyon cage saddlebag protectors to mine to be sure. Maybe a bit like wearing a belt with suspenders, however it's not always flat and level, where the drop happens. Although I've drop tested (not intentionally) my setup several times I still don't know if I really needed the saddlebag protectors, but I do know that I managed to scrape the paint off of the protectors and my saddle bags are still good. I think the T-Rex saddlebag protectors matched with either the Top Blocks or the Spiffy's would be the way I would go today if needed.

Last edited:
Top Block also makes a great place to mount conspicuity lighs...like my 7W LED lightsView attachment 38216
Good/great idea, my curiosity is peaked....but...but...but...could we see more photos of that from different angles?....'cause it kinda looks like the light is mostly just shining on the underside of the Top Block in that photo. Perhaps some mounting area photos too. Sorry I'm so needy. :rolleyes:

Marty, because the Top Block sliders taper in and downward, they really don't block the lights. The only downside is that when yiu get a little off-center (maybe 20 degrees) you only see one flood light. My main goal was to help be seen by people who might pull out from side-street or driveway, or turn left in fron of me. These drivers will see both lights, and the "Light Triangle ".
Gg to this site, then "about" and "safety studies". Not sure why, but if I try the link to the studies directly, the page is not found.

BTW...I did not pay $1k for the lights. I bought them from Superbrightleds.com for $40 each. They don’t carry this exact model any more, but there are numerous, similarly designed, lights out there.
I often turn them off at night because they are "flood" lights, not "fog" lights and will blind oncoming traffic, especially in coutry roads.

Attachments

• IMG_20170104_210228869s.jpg
    IMG_20170104_210228869s.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 11
  • _20170102_084430.JPG
    _20170102_084430.JPG
    128.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20170104_210017194.jpg
    IMG_20170104_210017194.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 11