• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

What do you wear under your 1 piece textile suit in The winter?

Jjjtx

Crotch Rocket
So I have a 1 piece suit, Textile.

I'll be going on a trip this fall from Texas where it'll likely be 90f, and end up where its in the 30-40s at night in Wyoming.

What are you guys wearing UNDER your suits?

Theres no way I can wear jeans under this suit. I already know this because I had some chaffing on my knees on the first part of another unrelated trip and had to take them off!.

I have a nice ( expensive ) pair of spandex that fits well and I'm thinking thats the best route to block the drafts, and prevent chaffing.

What are you guys and GIRLS doing on long rides like this? 

Ride time will be end of August, 1st week or so, of September, so I shouldnt see snow, at least not until I get to Pikes Peak, but it should be relatively warm.  But theres no predicting what can happen in the rocky mountains.

I know the other option is just a pair of SHORTS, but this will involve some cooler temps in the mountains of Colorado and Wyoming/Montana...

ETA: the brand of spandex is alpinestars, and they say its for WARM WEATHER RIDING.

But I'm not sure why it would be limited to warm weather.  Any info suggestions is great from the group.

I have this one

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/19738/i/alpinestars-summer-tech-long-bottoms

Ranger Jim said:
I normally wear a tee shirt and a pair of shorts under my Aerostitch when the temps are up above 85.

I will only be above 85 in Texas.  Temps will be well below that as soon as I make it into the Mountains of New Mexico.

I need something to prevent chaffing on the armor on my suit. 

The alpinestar long pant underwear seems to be a good idea...

I used to wear a moisture wicking T-shirt and LDRider shorts / underwear in August.  In the winter I will wear my Cabella's ECW long underwear, exercise pants and my gerbings heated jacket...

I purchased some Klim vented pants to go with my mesh jacket, soI no longer wear my Aerostich above 80

I have done a little of this.

Base layer  http://ldcomfort.com/  or some equivalent, I have one pair long pants and few pairs of short pants, I have a variety of long and short sleeve shirts. They are not all LD Comfort I am to cheap for that but they are all out of the high tech microfiber stuff.

Pants I wear these http://tinyurl.com/grvoldh or equivalent.

On top of the base layer shirt I wear my heated jacket. If it is really cold < 40F I wear a snug fitting wind resistant jacket over the heated gear.

This is all under my Aerostich.

The best stuff I've ever used. 1 pr each long pants and shorts. 2 long sleeved shirts. Washed in the hotel room sink easy enough. From low 30's in Nor Cal across death valley at 113 in the same day in the stich. Be doing the same this year from Hendo NV to Helen Jaw Jaw on the southern route in June (not in 1 day though). Just for, Ya know, Fun.

http://ldcomfort.com/

Two for LDCOMFORT.

I didnt know they existed, and I like the tighter fitting style stuff, plus their prices!

Thanks for that one guys. I'll have to snag up a pair of those.

Looking forward to more suggestions and what you all do in the winter.

Though I'm not going to be in freezing temperatures, at least not very long.    Last year on the way back, we had some frost on the window of the car in the early AM hours in Colorado, but it wasn't cold long.  But again I'll be riding on a bike this time, not in car !

I wear the same winter and summer. Just change from long pants to shorts. Out here in the dry heat  ;) a cooling vest. Been in the low 20's so far and was chilly but the only thing for that IMO is electric gear.

For those wearing top/bottom LD comfort tights, are you wearing anything UNDER this?

I have a set of under armour which is heavier than just the standard spandex type thing.  the important thing is layers so you can take off or put on as weather changes.  Looks like your suit has a quilted layer in it, so on the bottom, I would probalby not wear more than that.  perhaps take a pair of long underwear just in case it gets more chilly.

Sport Rider said:
I have a set of under armour which is heavier than just the standard spandex type thing.  the important thing is layers so you can take off or put on as weather changes.  Looks like your suit has a quilted layer in it, so on the bottom, I would probalby not wear more than that.  perhaps take a pair of long underwear just in case it gets more chilly.

The makers of that LD comfort say their dual layer stuff is superior to simple spandex and their video is quite convincing.  I think I'm gonna try a top/bottom and their socks as well.

Though as you said, A long-john top/bottom wont take up any room in the bags and it'll be good backup.

And yes the Suit I have has a pretty warm layer under it that is zipped in/out and is quite warm.  But I know I cant wear jeans that far, so what is between me and the relatively comfortable inside of the suit is the issue at hand mostly.

Some good ideas coming.

CycleGear- "Heat Out" for summer,
                "Freeze Out" for winter.

Great base layer stuff at a reasonable price. They have everything from head to toe.

3rd year I've used it, works great, lasts great.

They also sell similar stuff, more expensive, made by Sidici, which is good stuff, too.

I also wear a pair of their armored riding shorts... year round.

JTX said:
Old Man on a Connie said:
Commando  :-\

I;ve done that before =D
:)) :)) :)) No, I meant between me and my LD gear. I don't think my baby soft skin could be bare in a 'Stich. That would require way to much monkey butt powder. :beerchug:

But this trip, no =D