• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

What is a good starting point on suspension?

kdub

Moped
What would be a good starting point on setting the suspension on my C14?  The settings from the dealer seem to be pretty harsh and the rear of the bike seems to have no sag at all.  It rides down the road just about like a hardtail Harley.  I could get out and fiddle with the settings but having a starting place would make it a lot easier.

I normally ride with empty/empty-ish  side cases and weigh about 230 all geared up.

Thanks,
Kevin

Back off the rear spring adjuster all the way, and then turn it in 21 clicks. Set the front preload to 3 lines showing.

Gigantor said:
Hey Fred what would you suggest if the rider is about 420lbs?

MAX everything and them some.  ;D  Of course when you 7 foot tall to go with the 420 lbs. The bike is going to feel small in all areas.  ;)

Gigantor said:

Dunno, haven't tested that high, but I'm thinking you'd want higher rate front springs and probably a different rear shock with a custom spring made to your weight. I'd contact Traxxion Dynamics for the front and probably Ohlins for the rear shock.

I backed the knob off all the way soft then up 21 clicks then up more to see how far it would go (25).  Now it seems to be stuck, I really have to lean on it to get it to turn.  It might be full soft then up 4 now, hard to tell though because the knob is super hard to turn.

kdub said:
I backed the knob off all the way soft then up 21 clicks then up more to see how far it would go (25).  Now it seems to be stuck, I really have to lean on it to get it to turn.  It might be full soft then up 4 now, hard to tell though because the knob is super hard to turn.

This is a common problem. I haven't taken one apart yet, but I believe the threads on the adjuster are galling. Some good quality spray lube shot under the knob usually helps free it up. I like to use the liquid wrench dry type spray lube. Whatever you use DO NOT use WD40.

By the way, according to my 2010 service manual (page 13-20) there are only 23 clicks total, counting from the first click you get after the adjuster is turned full counter-clockwise. But the manual is a little ambiguous, and I'm not sure if the first click you come to should be numbered as 0 or 1. The exact words in it say:

"The standard setting for an average build rider of 150lbs with no passenger and no accessories is the 12th click from the 1st click of the fully counterclockwise position of the adjuster".

I'm a bit confused if this means you should turn it twelve more clicks after you get to the first click, or if you should turn it 11 more clicks. So there could actually be a total of 24 clicks, if the first one is supposed to counted as the zero start click.

This afternoon I walked out to my shop and the clicker turned just fine!?  So I ran it all the way soft then up 10 clicks.  I can feel that its softer than before, which I believe was full firm.  Now with it on the softer side I can click it up until it feels right to me.  The front end is already set with four marks showing and felt about right for me.  It was the buck board rear that was killing me haha...

Gigantor said:

Tighten the preload adjusters until they are about level with the top of the front tire  and tighten the rear adjuster about 450 clicks LOL  :))

Ok the preload adjusters are all the way down, but the knob for the rear stopped at 25 and won't budge, should I use a wrench to get the other 425 clicks?

Everyone's a comedian, if you guys ever need an anchor don't count on me.    :D  :rotflmao:

Gigantor said:
Ok the preload adjusters are all the way down, but the knob for the rear stopped at 25 and won't budge, should I use a wrench to get the other 425 clicks?

Everyone's a comedian, if you guys ever need an anchor don't count one me.    :D  :rotflmao:

Maybe an impact hammer?  LOL  :rotflmao:

I have been riding my KLR to work until today.  The 10 clicks form full soft is so much better than the way it was set up.  Just for kicks I went up to 11 clicks when I got home.  It just eats up the chip and seal road I live on now!