• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

what tire you use ? what PSI you run ? what kind of miles you get ?

2800 miles, are you nuts!!!
I have Bridgestones 023, I have 8,000 on the front and still no where near wear bars. I have 6,000 on the rear and less than 1/2 way down,. I run 42 front & rear. A friend runs 023 on his ST1300 and got over 12,,000 from the front tire

joe in calif said:
I have Bridgestones 023, I have 8,000 on the front and still no where near wear bars. I have 6,000 on the rear and less than 1/2 way down,. I run 42 front & rear. A friend runs 023 on his ST1300 and got over 12,,000 from the front tire

+1 exactly...except for the info on the ST1300  ;)  I got 7300 on both of mine currently and i just got back from the mountains.  Probably atleast another 3k left on the back.  Keep in mind too that the GT version is only the front tire, from the info i have seen.  I do like the tread pattern on it a little better than the standard version.    :motonoises:

joe in calif said:
  yep i ride mine like a sport bike , sucks thats why im asking about PSI and different tires , it would be so nice to get over 4000 miles , i get my tires put on for free and great deals on my tires so no worry there , just be nice to not have to mess with it for some time ,

Just replaced the stock BT021 with Conti Road Attack 2.  Got 6300 unhappy miles out of the stock tires. :mad:  Front was severly cupped after 2000 miles and needing repalcement at 6300.  Rear probably had another 1000 in it but was more than happy to replace them both. Religious about maintaining 42 psig on stock tires.  Now have 550 miles on the Conti and am pretty happy with them.  Much better feedback in corners and much more confidence inspiring in the wet.  Big questions yet to be answered is mileage.  Will update once I have a better idea.  At this point I am very happy with this choice.  Continue to run at 42/42 with the Contis.

so on my current set of BT 016  i have less then 2000 miles  on both tires , the front is so bad the sides are bald but the center has some life just to commute to and from work , the rear is even side to side but down to the wear marks , you guys that are getting 6000 +++ miles i want to call bull **** , ok im  disbelieving and come on some 9000 miles on the front , well well  :beerchug:

Angels. #1 On my first set, so don't know the mileage yet, but love the tires. Had PR2's before and they were OK, but not as good.

gsun said:
Angels. #1 On my first set, so don't know the mileage yet, but love the tires. Had PR2's before and they were OK, but not as good.

I like the Angels the best as well. IMO, they provide excellent feel and grip. Although the Michelin's will probably give you better wear. I personally hated the PR2's, and would take less mileage than have to use them. But I now have been running the PR3's. I find them to have decent grip. (not on par with the Angel's, but still very good) And the PR3's are the best rain tire I have used. So the trade off is a little bit of grip (which is more pronounced in the cooler weather). But it looks like better tire life.
  I like both the PR3's and the Angels. Both are good tires. Both have good grip. Both give pretty good wear life, with the PR3's probably wearing just a little better. Both are good in the rain. What it comes down to is your needs. If you ride a lot in the rain, then go with the PR3's. If you want the maximum tire feed back, feel and grip, go with the Angel. If you want maximum mileage at a slight expense of feel and grip, go with the PR3's. If you ride a lot in cooler weather, go with the angels. It all depends on your needs.

tony said:
joe in calif said:
  yep i ride mine like a sport bike , sucks thats why im asking about PSI and different tires , it would be so nice to get over 4000 miles , i get my tires put on for free and great deals on my tires so no worry there , just be nice to not have to mess with it for some time ,

Well I can say one thing, you really enjoy your bike. And there's nothing wrong with that, thats what they are made for. 
I would go broke putting tires on every 4,000 miles.

Avon Storm II's run 42# Front and Rear had 9,924 miles on front and 12,224 miles on the rear when put up for the winter.  Rear is at wear bars and front still has a lot of tread but cupped badly.  I am very happy with these and will replace with same this winter.

I run PR2's and PR3's with 42 psi front and rear.  The most I have ever gotten is 6,100 miles, but normally it is around 5,000.  I ride pretty hard and enjoy each and every mile.

Avon Ultra Storm II's, 42# frt. & rear. Out of 9 sets of tires there the only one's to go past 5,000 mi. I got 8600 out of them, plus they stick pretty well. PR2's that everybody seem's to love just did'nt cut it for me, only about 4600-4800 mi. each set (had 2 sets) & they don't stick could enough for me. Think I'm sticking with Avon's for now! :beerchug:

A friend just sent me links to prices and some reviews on the Shinko Raven 009 tires.  Prices seem too good to not at least take a look at.  Anyone have any experience with these???

PR3s, 42psi front & rear.
12,000 miles front, 7,000 miles rear.
I am heavy (360lbs) and heavy handed which probably explains the big difference.
Currently on my 2nd PR3 rear (nearly shot, will replace with PR3) and 2nd PR3 front (nearly new).
Still handles well and predictably, especially in the wet, which is regrettably common here.

2010 Concours 14 with about 20K miles. I'm getting ready to put my 4th set of tires on. The stock tires (BT021) got me about 7-8K (I was really gentle with those...bike break-in and such). I replaced those with Pirelli Angel ST's and got about 5k out of those (chord was showing on rear at 5K). Then I put the Michelin Pilot Road 3's on. I'm at about 6K now and the chord is almost visible. I keep the tire pressure at 42-43psi. I don't know what people are doing to get 9-10k miles out of tires, but that would sure be nice. I do tend to ride it more like a sport bike, even when touring. I need a kind tire benefactor!

I have a brand new pair of Michelin Pilot Road 3 tires which will go on my 2012 before it leaves the dealership.

Privateer said:
I have a brand new pair of Michelin Pilot Road 3 tires which will go on my 2012 before it leaves the dealership.

Yeah, but then you don't get to find out how bad the 021's truly are!  :))

Cap'n Bob said:
Privateer said:

Can't be as bad as the Bridge-rocks that were on my 2008 when I got it new.

Privateer said:
Cap'n Bob said:
Privateer said:

Can't be as bad as the Bridge-rocks that were on my 2008 when I got it new.

Sure they can!  >:D

Jack said:
I don't know what people are doing to get 9-10k miles out of tires, but that would sure be nice. I do tend to ride it more like a sport bike, even when touring.
I think it's riding style which does it more than anything else.  Easy starts, gentle stops, and keep them filled with air.

I ride 20k-25k each year, down from 30k-35k a few years ago when I could afford to take vacations.  I run Metzler 880s at 40psi on my C10 and get AT LEAST 15k miles out of them.  More often they go slightly over 20k if I can avoid punctures.  I buy these tires because they wear like iron and I don't need the sticky sidewalls to go ripping through the twisties here in Florida, yet they handle fine in the mountains too - I don't push the twisties too hard there either.

I'm at about 5500 miles on my oem 21's and the rear is at the wear bars and the front is getting there. I run 42 front and rear consistently. Based on all the reviews and feedback I ordered a set of Angel ST's. Frankly if I get the same mileage or better as oem I'm happy. I consider this exceptional mileage considering I tweak the bike pretty hard.

What happened to the OEM Bridge-rocks on my ZX14 is they flat spotted the first riding season, and I didn't even put that many miles (compared to last year, for example) on it.

Once that happened, they were dangerous for the way I ride, because I scrub tires right to the sidewall and the bike became hesitant to drop over with me on curves, I had to "pull" it over.

My PR2s, despite 4 times as many miles, have yet to flat spot, and are showing good tread still. A++++++++++++++

My bikes got Mich. PR2's on it right now.  I haven't rode it enough to formulate an opinion, but I'm leaning on replacing them with the same tire or Shinko 011 Verge. 

I got my Angels on today. I'm running them at 40/42 and put 140 miles on them and they feel great. It's not really fair to compare them to the stock tires since the stones were squared off but they do feel like the drop into corners more naturally than I recall.

Russ said:
My bikes got Mich. PR2's on it right now.  I haven't rode it enough to formulate an opinion, but I'm leaning on replacing them with the same tire or Shinko 011 Verge.

A word of caution on the Verge; It is very soft and will last about half (or even less) than the PR2.

I just changed my stock rear tire yesterday.

8100 miles on the stock Bridgestone  Battleax BT-021 tire. 

Tire pressure run at 42PSI cold.  No heavy loading, no passengers and mostly flat slab riding in Florida.

I could have pushed the tire further than the 8100 miles,  it was cupped and very flat spotted with some flat patches but no cords showing yet.  I decided to change to the PR3 as I have some long haul rides scheduled for the next few weekends.

I got 6000 out of a set of Metzeler Sport Tecs. Looking back I think I should have changed them at 5000. I have PR3's on it now and it handles like a different bike. It will be tough to talk me into something different now. No matter what the mileage is. Running 43 cold and will go up to 45 or 46 warmed up. If you adjusted your air pressure up or down over the course of time would it affect the wear?

I hit a long right hand sweeper yesterday, its a corner I take often on the bike and I am very comfortable with it.  Entry speeds of about 55-60mph are very relaxed,  its a right sweeper with an incline and a long straight on the exit. 

I took the corner yesterday on the new PR3, and found myself wide on the exit.  Its going to take some time to get used to the PR3 and its handling characteristics compared to the BT021.  Granted its still a new tire and it only had about 45 miles on it when I hit that corner.

Umfundisi said:
I hit a long right hand sweeper yesterday, its a corner I take often on the bike and I am very comfortable with it.  Entry speeds of about 55-60mph are very relaxed,  its a right sweeper with an incline and a long straight on the exit. 

I took the corner yesterday on the new PR3, and found myself wide on the exit.  Its going to take some time to get used to the PR3 and its handling characteristics compared to the BT021.  Granted its still a new tire and it only had about 45 miles on it when I hit that corner.
You still have the oem BT21 tire on the front?!.. Sir, get rid of it. It's worn out. They were junk when new. You are trying to compensate for for a crapped out front tire and not the new rear. A scary combo. Put a matching PR3 on the front and live to corner another day...

I actually have the BT023 on the front with the PR3 on the rear.  I replaced the BT021 on the rear for the PR3.

The 23 has to be at least better than the oem 21. A miss match with tires will work, but, to get the most out of either, they have to have their matched friend. The profiles and construction overall were engineered to be run together. Food for thought....enjoy

While I value your input on the tire mismatch,  I see it from a different perspective,  matching the front of your choice with the rear of your choice to get the best that fits your individual style and preference. 

Matching what the manufacturer designs may not work best for your individual ride style.  I have found the BT23 on the front a good fit for my style and road conditions.

You said you had a new handling issue with the Combo, so naturally I was thinking, hey, this could be caused by a funky mismatch. But what the heck, glad it works for you. I have no such problems with my Road3s.. Just sayin.......Enjoy, I do...

...I had very bad sevice from some Brigstone tires that came on my 1977 CIVIC and...do you remember... (here Tony Bennett singing???)  the recall Firestone had a few years back... lead me to the conclusion NOT to buy tires with the word stone in the name... :)