• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

What went wrong in this video?

Target fixation by a newb. That curve could have easily been made at a much higher speed.

I think the proper question is what couldn't have been done?

1. More protective gear
2. Slower speed on the ramp
3. More lean to make the curve
4. Merge correctly
5. Don't be a dumb@$$

Neither rider ever turned their head to check the merge. Lead rider gassed it, then fixated, probably on the line, made his error worse by getting in the marbles. Didn't look where he needed to go.

Hi,
        In Georgia they call that "Damned Lucky"!!! ;D

Attachments

• photo-1-31_zpsgekwyssb.jpg
    photo-1-31_zpsgekwyssb.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 152
It might have been that he didn't think there would be enough traction to allow more lean.  Especially when the tires got off onto the untraveled stuff in the triangle.
When I was a new rider (and maybe in my fears still) I would kind of "select" a lean angle that often didn't suit the turn and then it was like sci-fi trying to turn the bars for the right balance & turn radius.  It felt like posing, as in "hold that pose" but not good.
After what others saw & said, given the wide angle views that most cameras have, a lot of the bikes with cameras must be following real close at times.  Likely why the front guy hit the throttle so hard on the ramp.
A different video I saw recently the front bike was almost riding on the 2nd bike's shadow at times.  I think it was this one (it's long, 29 minutes before the slide):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6olw5NXGns

I think this goes beyond target fixation.  It reminds me of something that happened to me before I had a lot of riding experience.  I did not go down or hit anything (luckily) because the road was just barely wide enough to soak up my mistake.  Keep in mind this happened after I fully understood counter steering and used it with confidence.  I entered a right hand curve too hot  (visually wide open with no oncoming traffic, thank goodness)  and my mind went into partial panic mode.  I say "partial" because I knew not to grab brakes.  I knew to not chop the throttle but let off gently.  For some odd reason my brain would not allow me to press harder on the right grip.  It went back into "steering mode" instead of staying in "counter steering mode".  I went clear across the oncoming lane but engine braking barely kept me on pavement.  Later, after my pulse calmed, and after mentally re-living the incident, I realized I had plenty of lean angle left and could have easily stayed in my lane with additional inside grip pressure. I also remembered, with extreme clarity, that feeling of "partial panic", and still remember it to this day.  The problem was, and is, I could not understand why that "partial panic" only affected my brain's "counter steering mode".  But somehow I did know this,  that I would never again forget to PUSH HARDER ON THE INSIDE GRIP.  And I haven't. 
I wonder how many other riders have experienced the same phenomenon and crashed,  or died.  This happened to me in the late '70's and this is the first time I've shared it at all,  because I didn't understand it and didn't know how to describe it.  Maybe I still don't.  Does any of this sound familiar to anyone else?
Every time I see a video of a bike going wide for no apparent reason,  I wonder if the same thing is happening to them.

Flat-spot:  Yep, have known that feeling.  The feeling of panic as you know you're going too wide prevents you from immediately counter-steering.  You just want to try to leeeeeeaannn  just a little more.  Which is what the rider in the video seemed to be doing, among his other mistakes.

Only cure, seems to me, is to practice counter-steering often, whenever you get on the bike, if you can remember to, so it becomes second nature.

Flat-spot said:
I think this goes beyond target fixation.  It reminds me of something that happened to me before I had a lot of riding experience.  I did not go down or hit anything (luckily) because the road was just barely wide enough to soak up my mistake.  Keep in mind this happened after I fully understood counter steering and used it with confidence.  I entered a right hand curve too hot  (visually wide open with no oncoming traffic, thank goodness)  and my mind went into partial panic mode.  I say "partial" because I knew not to grab brakes.  I knew to not chop the throttle but let off gently.  For some odd reason my brain would not allow me to press harder on the right grip.  It went back into "steering mode" instead of staying in "counter steering mode".  I went clear across the oncoming lane but engine braking barely kept me on pavement.  Later, after my pulse calmed, and after mentally re-living the incident, I realized I had plenty of lean angle left and could have easily stayed in my lane with additional inside grip pressure. I also remembered, with extreme clarity, that feeling of "partial panic", and still remember it to this day.  The problem was, and is, I could not understand why that "partial panic" only affected my brain's "counter steering mode".  But somehow I did know this,  that I would never again forget to PUSH HARDER ON THE INSIDE GRIP.  And I haven't. 
I wonder how many other riders have experienced the same phenomenon and crashed,  or died.  This happened to me in the late '70's and this is the first time I've shared it at all,  because I didn't understand it and didn't know how to describe it.  Maybe I still don't.  Does any of this sound familiar to anyone else?
Every time I see a video of a bike going wide for no apparent reason,  I wonder if the same thing is happening to them.

Well said.

One other question - was his speed excessive? I've seen lots of speed comments on other forums on this, and I didn't see it. He may have been speeding past his skills, but he was merging right at the speed of traffic (or it looks so to me).

yeah, all that that you guys said...

but am i the only person who giggled during the slow mo segments, when he slowly drawled out

OOOOHHH  SSSHHH@#$%^&*!!!!

what went wrong, he didnt actually learn how to pilot a motorcycle...
CLASS school, Cali superbike school, STAR school, any school...
hey, before you get on the slopes to ski they make you take a class...sheesh.  TShirt should have been told

What went wrong? The guy in the truck fled the scene of an accident LMAO. It was all the trucks fault.

What really went wrong is the guy on the bike did not trust the bikes ability to hold. Then he looked at the bed of the truck and he found it. I did that in 1982 in San Diego California on a T-500 Suzuki. Came off the 8 freeway hot in Hotel Circle at about 1 am. Never saw an off ramp like it before seeing as I had spent my entire 21 years in Detroit. Ramp kept getting tighter. I panicked and went right into a field of Ice Plant. Slide for what seemed to be a mile and my whole body was green. Got my ass up, looked around, got my bike out and re-started it. No Helmet, Converse All Stars, Sleeveless Shirt and a pair of $140 Ray Ban Leathers. That was a lot of money back then. Never found the glasses. I paid $500 for the bike and it was mint.  Went home and cleaned my bike for a longtime and kept my mouth shut until now. 

If you ever find yourself heading into this sort of situation... at the point you realize it could go wrong... instead, look at the guardrail on your right, and physically move your body as far to the right as you can. Hang off the bike like a racer if need be.

ConcoursKZ said:
What really went wrong is the guy on the bike did not trust the bikes ability to hold. Then he looked at the bed of the truck and he found it.

Yep... target fixation. Not sure that he was focused specifically on the truck, but he wasn't looking where he should have been, thats for certain.

I just watched this video since I had some time to kill. What I see is a rider who should have been able to exit on the ramp without problems. He might have been coming in a little hot, but IMO, definitely doable. To me it looks a though he realized he was a little faster than he had wanted to be. This is where (IMO) he panicked. He chops the throttle which kills his forward bite/traction. This causes the bike to push away from the turn. Then rather than focusing on the turn by forcing the bike into the turn with counter steer/ lean/ and if possible throttle application. He drifts wide probably by panic. Did he fixate to a/mutable targets? I can't say for sure, but the combination of panic and target fixation is probably the best explanation.
  Has he just eased off the throttle slightly and focused on turning the bike, then slowing if necessary, all probably should have been fine. He might not even needed to slow the bike after the turn, but being a ramp, I would think he probably would. I won't say he was inexperienced since I do not know. What I did see leaves me to think it might be so. But either way IMO panic rather than focus caused this nightmare for him. Thankfully he didn't get run over.

At least he didn't hit the brakes that I can see. Given his body position, lack of counter-steering, target fixation, etc, etc his angels were working overtime. That entrance ramp should have been a routine sweeper where you can even add throttle as you set the lean angle and GO!

I'm no expert, but it appears he failed to maintain his lane because he didn't know how to counter-steer the motorcycle.

That was the bad kind of knee and elbow dragging for sure.

Hi,
      I've seen that vid before and can't help but wonder what the skill level of the driver was?

Or, how long he had driven a C14?

It is a big powerful bike, and it WANTS to go fast! Just sayin! ;D

Attachments

• 35c045b4d1ecd4b017f8df23823e91a7.jpg
    35c045b4d1ecd4b017f8df23823e91a7.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 100