• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Where oh where is the '24 National?

ForumAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
Last edited by a moderator:
I've been going to the COG Nationals since (I think) 2002 in Montrose Colorado)
So I have some thoughts.

My guess;
(since we're going to the "Left Coast" this year)
Mebbe somewhere on the "Right Coast".

or; (since we're dreamin')
I've always wanted to do one (anywhere) in Canada! (y)
Hint, HINT!!!!!

Ride safe, Ted

PS: Or mebbe West Virginia? We haven't been there in a while.

Last edited:
I've been going to the COG Nationals since (I think) 2002 in Montrose Colorado)
So I have some thoughts.

My guess;
(since we're going to the "Left Coast" this year)
Mebbe somewhere on the "Right Coast".

or; (since we're dreamin')
I've always wanted to do one (anywhere) in Canada! (y)
Hint, HINT!!!!!

Ride safe, Ted
Ted

I see you call your C-14 "Traveler II". Considering how often you refer to your RED bike, I think a different nickname is in order. Maybe Red Rocket or Crimson Tide. Anything is better than Traveler II

Now ya done went and done it....

Nothing better than "Traveler II" except "Traveler".

In this case the name "traveler" has nothing to do with riding a distance.
"Traveler" is the name of a famous horse.

"And NOW the Rest of the Story".

When I first got into the COG, everyone used to name their Connie.
Most felt that the bike and circumstances helped you pick out the name.
The joke was, listen the bike would tell you it's name.

At that time, I was restoring my first Concours and was on a trip to Virginia.
We happened to stop at the Washington College in Lexington.
There we discovered (hand over heart) the Grave/Chapel of General Robert E Lee.
Outside of the General's Chapel was the grave of his horse during the entire Civil War. "Traveler".
(ie; Traveler was "Still with him after all those years".
It stirred me and I liked the idea so I named my bike in honor of him.
When I got the C-14, I did it again. "Traveler II"
Mebbe I'll call him "Traveler II"

Ride safe, Ted

PS: Traveler

Last edited:
Well, I was watching and wasn't going to say anything, but, yes Southern OH would be nice, but, I've not heard anything here about it planning wise. I know it will be closer to me wherever it is, and that's good.

I've heard that a conversation was overheard between Smith and Kaplitz where they thought that Ohio was mentioned. I have no clue, but am certainly curious as most are. Where do you think its going to be held?

Guess we'll find out tomorrow.

I was 25 miles from there all w/e..... and passed through there on my way home earlier today. If I'd known they were accepting reservations this early, I would have stopped and done the deed early on.

Keep an eye out for THIS Character when you're over there. We happened to be at my dad's home up the road in Glanville, (the town where I was this w/e) when we heard about it on the radio. They didn't have a TV in the house at the time. It supposedly appeared up over the hill to the east from town.

FWIW - Not going to an alternate this time due to my procrastination (ref. Spring Fling, Cumberland, MD) - room for the 2024 National is booked as of earlier this morning.

No issues what-so-ever. Straight-forward with a nice lady that had a good sense of humor. She told me that one other was registered when I made mine.

See ya'll in 2024 if I'm still vertical.

As Jason might say: Book those rooms.

Our wedding anniversary is 8/11. So Kat is getting a ride to the national and an extra night at the hotel. Reservation made.

Now I just need to plan a ride to get there. Google puts it at around 6 hours, but a lot of that is interstate. I will find a better way than that.

I just booked our rooms too.
(Yes, I know what you're thinking; "Aww S___, there goes the neighborhood".)

The lady sed that 12 rooms have already been booked.

I challenge y'all to book 20 rooms before Wednesday.
If'n ya make it, 2andblue and ONObob are gonna buy the beer!

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo,,, Who's next?

Ride safe, Ted

Book your rooms!
But, (while we're waiting) an update/word from Ted....

Ted

I see you call your C-14 "Traveler II". Considering how often you refer to your RED bike, I think a different nickname is in order. Maybe Red Rocket or Crimson Tide. Anything is better than Traveler II
UPDATE:
As I sed previously, nothing is better than Traveler.

But, {after careful consideration} I decided to do as Steve suggested and change the bikes name.
(Please don't tell anyone that Steve had a good idea).

For clarity; I feel that the reason for the change needs an explanation,
So here is "The Rest of the Story"..

"The Rest of the Story"
At the recent National the bikes were often parked together.
Looking at the other dull/boring colors in the parking lot "many" noticed that my RED bike stood out.
(Particularly when parked near Steve's
boring Black Connie)

Someone commented; "That" RED bike looks like a Rooster in the Hen House.

I liked that thought so I decided to change the bikes name from Traveler to "Rooster".

25A7D62B-9746-42CF-968D-CBEBD8C35725.jpeg

Ya shoulda known..
Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
Moosehead??
I may not drink a lot of it as it ain't Texas Beer (But I'm willin' to try).
However, I DO know that some of the others will. (They'll drink anything)
Bring a lot!

Ride safe, Ted

PS: You still owe me some Texas beer..

Last edited:
Just booked my room! Suite! This will be my first National Rally.
Is anyone coming from central or southern Ohio, interested in riding over together? > 4-hour ride to the hotel.

It is getting hard to find. Pity.
Excellent beer.
Better than that Texas swill Ted drinks 🤣🤣
Ahh, Uhh, Err,,,, ""B______t""!

KWBOY, glad ya got it booked. We'll see you there. Your gonna love it!

Others,,,, Don't wait.
BOOK YOUR ROOMS!!
Let's make this one an exceptionally big Rally!
(See ONObob for your beer when ya arrive)

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
Is anyone coming from central or southern Ohio, interested in riding over together? > 4-hour ride to the hotel.
KW
We got a suite too. This will be our 4th rally
You’re in for a treat

We will be coming from Lebanon Ohio.
Be glad to hook up if it works
Best
Bob

I haven't been able to see pictures of what makes up the suites.. plz enlighten me...

Pat,
Now don’t take this as gospel…. But…. According to the reservationist I talked to…. The “suites” included in the COG block rates are just rooms with a microwave in addition to the fridge. We did get one with a balcony
The microwave is a big deal to me because I have to eat my own food as much as possible due to food allergies and sensitivities
Now that being said, when I was on their website I saw some really nice suites with sitting areas etc. but they were all over $225 per night

Bob

I haven't been able to see pictures of what makes up the suites.. plz enlighten me...
I went to the hotel's website to see pics of the rooms, suites are king bed and appear to have a bit more room with a sofa - at least that's what is listed as a 'suite'. I wonder if it's a sleeper sofa? Kinda limited in description but I thought what the heck, I'm there for several days so might as well spend 15% more and make it feel a little more like home. Might let the wife come along also (if she behaves!), so also good for her.

Last edited:
I went to the hotel's website to see pics of the rooms, suites are king bed and appear to have a bit more room with a sofa - at least that's what is listed as a 'suite'. I wonder if it's a sleeper sofa? Kinda limited in description but I thought what the heck, I'm there for several days so might as well spend 15% more and make it feel a little more like home. Might let the wife come along also (if she behaves!), so also good for her.
Thanks for the info...

Heads up for the tent campers, I checked on camping & there aren't any dedicated tent sites. She even said they didn't want tents & discouraged them by intentionally jacking up the rate, $127.00 per day is what I was told for a tent.
STOP!
Tent camping will not be $127.00.
Reservations won't be accepted until after Jan 1, 2024.
The KOA will allow 3 small tents on one RV site.
Pricing has not been set yet.
Pricing for Tent camping will be announced as soon as it is provided by the KOA.
Jason

I just made my hotel reservation for a king room. When I asked about a suite, she said they were $165. I asked her if suites were ever available for $115, her answer was no. There's a communication breakdown somewhere. 😜

I just made my hotel reservation for a king room. When I asked about a suite, she said they were $165. I asked her if suites were ever available for $115, her answer was no. There's a communication breakdown somewhere. 😜
Bud,
you're right!
We're talking to the hotel right now to get this straighened out.
Sorry for any inconvenience caused.
jason

Thanks for being this to our attention. It’s been confirmed that the room pricing on our webpages is correct for our dates. Possible communication breakdown at the front desk will be addressed.

Keep an eye out for THIS Character when you're over there. We happened to be at my dad's home up the road in Glanville, (the town where I was this w/e) when we heard about it on the radio. They didn't have a TV in the house at the time. It supposedly appeared up over the hill to the east from

Is that Russ Saunders?

Keep an eye out for THIS Character when you're over there. We happened to be at my dad's home up the road in Glanville, (the town where I was this w/e) when we heard about it on the radio. They didn't have a TV in the house at the time. It supposedly appeared up over the hill to the east from town.

From the Fall 2023 Issue of Goldenseal Magazine:
Goldenseal%20Cover20231005-XL.jpg

More info on the Flatwoods "Monster":
Flatwoods%20Monster20231005-XL.jpg

A detail, not small. State maps are helpful and make it easier to figure out where you are relative to where you want to be.
Blindly following GPS (or Google) takes a lot of the adventure out.
BTW...reading a post that said they were the 2nd, I may have been 1st as I made the reservations when I was there in midJuly.
Really looking forward to it!

Last edited:
A detail, not small. State maps are helpful and make it easier to figure out where you are relative to where you want to be.
Blindly following GPS (or Google) takes a lot of the adventure out.
BTW...reading a post that said they were the 2nd, I may have been 1st as I made the reservations when I was there in midJuly.
Really looking forward to it!

Yeah. You really coming out this time?🤣😊

This is going to be a rip-snorter. I've been to the hotel and it is fine. Not originally built as a days inn, so don't let that bother you. it's well kept and maintained. American owned and operated. Restaurant is very good. Roads are very good. I'm scouting out roads to the west and am finding some very good stuff. I'll go again in the spring and find more, then I'll list them and you can make your own routes. I don't know for sure but I believe most of the routes presented by the rally organizers are probably to the east.

I'm scouting out roads to the west and am finding some very good stuff. I'll go again in the spring and find more, then I'll list them and you can make your own routes. I don't know for sure but I believe most of the routes presented by the rally organizers are probably to the east.
Thanks!!!
In the works are several example routes to the north, south, west & east of Rally Central that can be used to create routes as well.
The plan is to get them finished and posted to the COG GPX archive by JAN 1 2024 or sooner.

1698595241008.png

I agree on the hotel. It was 100% booked when I was there in July, but I did spend some time in it and everything I saw was well kept and nice.

In the works are several example routes to the north, south, west & east of Rally Central that can be used to create routes as well.
Very good. The area I'm talking about is the loop that goes over to just south of Parkersburg. Many good, high quality surfaced roads inside that loop. And adjacent to it. All those loops to the east are fantastic.

Can the road numbers be shown on the map above?

Very good. The area I'm talking about is the loop that goes over to just south of Parkersburg. Many good, high quality surfaced roads inside that loop. And adjacent to it. All those loops to the east are fantastic.

Can the road numbers be shown on the map above?

Unfortunately, Basecamp does not display road numbers when zoomed out.
The closest example route to Parkersburg gets to Elizabeth (RT14 and RT53).
The rally team has 3 example routes of varying lengths headed west that can be connected if the GPX files are customized.
These routes can easily be extended further by rally attendees using equally great roads.

The plan is to get the GPX files posted as early as possible to allow attendees to review than and create their own customized routes.

This recent Brad Paisley music video was filmed in West Virginia, mostly on the Tunney Hunsaker Bridge, with the New River Gorge Bridge in the background. This location include is within riding distance of the National Rally. There is great scenery, fun riding, and good people in West Virginia.

Good Grief! That is 30 hours from home.
Glad I don't live in California! 40 for some of them.
Will have to see what I can work out.

We’re in, but I totally blew my National Rally attendance count when filling out the registration form. Not sure where my head was (no comments please!), but I said 4, when it was actually 15…… 16 if I make it through to Flatwoods. CRS and all that is my only excuse.

** Early Registration Room Prize Giveaway **

Register for the 2024 National Rally by May 27, 2024 and your name will go into a hat to win one of six room prizes for your rally stay at the hotel during the event week!

Winner Eligibility: Any COG member (or associate) who registers for the rally by May 27, 2024, and is a member in good standing at the time of rally registration and through end of the rally. The person whose name is pulled must use the room. Room cannot be given to another member. If unused, the room reverts back to COG.

coming from Eastern IN via Greenville /piqua /maybe Urbana and hopefully 56 down through Hocking Hills and then 35 down to WV. Depends on whether folks from the west are going to slab it or not

https://maps.app.goo.gl/H6U5hgDdey7aDzXw7
or for those who are addicted to 4 lanes.