• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Which Trunk to get??

aphill45

Tricycle
I just joined--bought a 93 Concours on April 18--and I'm looking for some sound advice on a travel trunk...I was under the impression that any Givi (or Shad) trunk could be adapted to fit just about any bike--it's all a matter of getting the right hardware. But when I tried to BUY a trunk (Givi Monolock E450) I was told by the vendor's sales rep. that they recommend the Monokey V46 for the Concours, because it has a mounting bracket designed for it...(and is a $80-more expensive trunk!) Of the many after-market vendors who run ads in the MC mags, not many sell travel trunks...the Murph's Kits 42, is the best price I've found, but got no idea of the quality of that trunk (the backrest looks cheap!)....anybody have any ideas or suggestions as to WHAT TRUNK is a good fit--in form & function--for a Concours? Thanks for the replying....TOM

The GIVI Monokey system has a direct bolt-on bracket to allow easy install of any Monokey box. I have the GIVI E52 with light kit, rack and backrest pad, really like it and my SO says the backrest is comfortable. Plus with the GIVI rack, a extra twist of the key and push the big red button and the box is off as a piece of luggage and the flat rack is available. My $.02 workt. Robert Elliott Cornelia, GA 2006 C10 COG # 7598 CDA#0293

For a Givi you want to use an E128 mounting kit. I would think that any Givi case that uses that mounting kit would work. You might want to double check the E450 case and see if it can work with the E128 mount. As for Shad, generally Murph sells nothing but the good stuff. If Muprh sells it, it cant be all bad. So its worth considering. As for back rests, even the Givi ones are not the tops either. I would call it cheap as much as its not greatest in comfort. There are a number of people that have done goldwing rests on a connie. There is a thread you just posted in with the guy who custom did his, etc. I have the "soft" Givi rest which I agree is not all that soft. The wife doesnt complaint that much. 2003 Concours, 49K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://mysite.verizon.net/slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

Looking at one site that sells Givi, they have the "Monokey" design AND a "Monolock" design. On the monolock cases it says: "Note that this topcase features the Givi Monolock design, which means it must be used with a special fitting plate (included) designed to fit onto flat tubular-style topracks. Fitting to other types of luggage racks may require custom fabrication and a trip to the hardware store. This case will not fit Givi Monokey racks (Wingrack or Monorack) without the use of another replacement adapter plate (not included)." The E128 kit I mentioned is for the Monokey systems. The V46 the sales rep recommended is a Monokey system. 2003 Concours, 49K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://mysite.verizon.net/slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

I have the E-52 with brake lights and love it. Well worth the money. Buy it locally as it cost me over $50 to ship it back to givi when the lock broke, the internet ain't always cheapest.

You can't do better than Givi, but they are spendy. A lot of people are very pleased with the Shad cases, etc. For Givi trunks I'd recommend the E52, E460 or E45. Those numbers are the size in liters. The E52, the E460, and the V46 (per the catalog) also have brake light kits available for extra money. You have to get the adapter for the specific bike, then also get the universal Monokey bracket that bolts onto that adapter, then the Givi case snaps onto that bracket. The Monolock system is for smaller units intended more for bikes like scooters. Go with the larger Monokey system. I have the Givi E460 trunk with top carrier rack and brake light kit, I didn't install the backrest because I don't ride two-up. I also have Givi E36 and E21 side bags for the Wee-Strom. The nice thing about the Givi system once you get the mounts is that any of the Monokey cases are all interchangeable. I swap the E460 trunk from bike to bike or I can put an E36 on either bike as a trunk, or whatever. Actually, the E36 and E45 cases look very good on the Connie as a trunk, almost the same shape as the stock bags, if they meet your capacity needs. www.R_L_motorcycles.com is a good dealer, there are lots of others on-line, almost all of them offer 10% "discount" or so from the "suggested retail", but still a bit of money when you add it all up.

I've had a GIVI E460 for the past 7 years and it has been in continuance use for the past 80-90K (maybe more I can't remember). However I recently broke the inside elastic retainer plastic clip. Damn chCheap "Eye-tale yan" stuff I say! ;p AKA "2linby" That's 2-lin-by folks! Northwest Area Director COG #5539 AMA #927779 IBA #15034 TEAM OREGON MC Instructor http://community.webshots.com/user/2linby http://tinyurl.com/njas8 (IBA BunBurner Gold Trip) http://tinyurl.com/lwelx (Alaska trip)

Another plus for the GIVI stuff is that on the 52liter the trim is exposed on the outside and subject to cracks and breaks from getting caught. I called GIVI and they sent me replacement trim at no cost, part of the lifetime warranty. They also mentioned that they will be having a larger bag out soon. Can't remember whether they said 55 or 56 liters. Robert Elliott Cornelia, GA 2006 C10 COG # 7598 CDA#0293

Givi now has on their website the E55. Real monster with a remote control to open it as well as the key. http://www.giviusa.com/caschi_borse_bauli_accessori.asp?CO_ID=33943&lang=en Robert Elliott Cornelia, GA 2006 C10 COG # 7598 CDA#0293

I've got the JCW $45 Special. Although it's serving its purpose quite well... I replaced my side bags with Givi E-41's after a bout with SPS (sudden pedestrian syndrome). The fit/finish if the JCW cheapo now kinda shows... and worse, the red reflectors are nowhere near close to a match. I'd hate to think I'd replace it simply for asthetics...but is has me thinkin'...

+1 on the Givi E52 trunk and E128 mounting plate. I recommend getting the largest trunk available, the 52 liter looks as good as the smaller trunks, and you may as well get the extra capacity. I'd seriously consider the new Givi 55 liter trunk if I were

I just got the E36 and it's quite nice, but just a bit smaller than I wanted. I may move up to the E45 or larger if it becomes a hassle.

When it comes to luggage... Bigger is better... -- Steve Smith, COG #3184 COG Northeast Area Director (somewhere in south central CT)
larryline.gif
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Gotta agree with Steve, you can never have a trunk large enough and Givi has a new one, a 55 liter, the E55. http://www.giviusa.com/caschi_borse_bauli_accessori.asp?CO_ID=33943 tcars John