• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Who in N.C. wants to host a wrenching session?

The Pope

It has been a while and I feel that it may be time to have a wrenching session. So..... anyone want to host?

I don't have the room to host, but will definitely attend. Overdue for valve clearance check and not sure I want to tackle it for the 1st time by myself. Also not sure about the procedure to sync the throttle bodies.

I don't have the space or facilities to host a session but would be willing to travel with tools.
Buzz

JeffP said:
Overdue for valve clearance check and not sure I want to tackle it for the 1st time by myself. Also not sure about the procedure to sync the throttle bodies.

Checking the valves is a too in-depth and time consuming for a wrenching session. Maybe we can find someone local to you that could help you with this.

I don't have as much space as in the past, but if it came down to it we'll figure out something.

Perhaps we should start with a pole of who would like to have one?  if it's a smaller number, it will be easier to host.  As long as it's good weather, I have driveway space.

The Pope said:
JeffP said:
Overdue for valve clearance check and not sure I want to tackle it for the 1st time by myself. Also not sure about the procedure to sync the throttle bodies.

Checking the valves is a too in-depth and time consuming for a wrenching session. Maybe we can find someone local to you that could help you with this.

I am comfortable with the process. Been doing valve clearance checks and shimming on my Honda dirtbike for the last several years. Clearly, though, it is a little more complicated with a 4-cylinder motor. I have a service manual too. But nothing can replace the experience of someone who has already been through it at least once.

If there is anyone near Mooresville that has been down this road with the C14 and wants to help...I can offer beer and food!  :)

Sport Rider said:
I'm not familiar with a C14, but for beer and food I can lead you down the wrong path with no problem!  :))

:rotflmao:.... I may have to come down for this! ...."Ok fellas, step one: remove front axle..." :08: :beerchug:

Jeff,  I can't remember for sure, but I think doing the valves on a C14 takes a few hours. So if you have the space at your place for a few more bikes, it might good to hold the wrenching session at your place as you might need a shim that you don't have readily available.

Just a though.  :)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but valve adjust must be done when engine is cool?? If you ride to a tech session then you'll need ample time after arrival for engine to cool down before starting the project.

Buzz,
You are correct, the checks and adjustments are done on a cold engine. Kinda takes the fun out of it though!
Matt

JeffP said:
That may be a possibility Pope. What's involved in hosting a session?
Space.  :)

-An area (ideally a enclosed place like a garage or carport just in case it rains) for the bikes to be worked on.
-Any large items (oil catch pan, etc....) that someone can use but is too large to bring on the bike.
-Something for the folks to clean up with after they've finished wrenching.
-Food/snacks and beverages (some do this and some don't, so if you want to, let me know) and/or a local restraint where we could go to for lunch.

I know that I've missed mentioning some things, but I know that others will chime in.

So that's "basically" the gist of it, but if there are any special items needed by someone, they normally/should ask if you have it or if someone could bring it.

Oh! You get to pick the date!

Jeff....I'll IM you.  We can chat about it and perhaps between the two of us we can come up with a plan.

Pope....or anyone else for that matter....I kinda see Jeff and my area as being pretty central.  But if there's a more central place to conduct this, maybe we can discuss alternatives.

Blaise (Bbroj) and I are in the middle of building a home in southern Alamance County- town of Graham. The hold up- the 22' x 30' garage that is being built.

We're hoping to be in by the end of September and have a poured driveway by the beginning of next year. So stay tuned. He loves to be in the garage and I love to cook!  :)

Sport Rider said:
somewhere around 9/28, 10/5, or 10/12?  Or later in October?  I'm pretty flexible.

9/28 is the SE Cog Rally weekend, so that's no good (well, it's no good for me.).

So sometime October (or later) then.

Lets see what others think.  ;)

Sport Rider, with all of these responce to a possable date  ::) , can you sort through and pick one.  :)
Then I'll post it up on the calender.

It's been difficult to sort through all the date options and find one that works for everyone.  I guess that's the problem when you have so many responses.  :nananana:

Since you are out for the 28th and I have work on the 5th, let's go with October 12th.

All in favor say Ya.  "Ya"
Apposed say Nay.  (crickets chirping)

Motion passed, so the 12th it is!

Please pm me your address Dave.

I'm bumping this thread because it already has a lot of info that a newbe host might want to know.

Ok folks, it's time to get some wrenching sessions scheduled. I'd like to have three of them before the end of May (basically atleast one each in the Coastal Region, Piedmont & Mountain).

So....... who would like to host one? :beerchug:

I can do one in the center of the state.  Perhaps we try to schedule 3 at the same time, eastern, central and western?  Perhaps we can try some high tech skyping to join in together?  Just a wild thought.  :great:

Sport Rider said:
I can do one in the center of the state.
Please let me know a few dates that would work for you.

Sport Rider said:
Perhaps we try to schedule 3 at the same time, eastern, central and western?
I'm not up for that, but depenting on the interest of others, maybe we could pull it off.

Sport Rider said:
Perhaps we can try some high tech skyping to join in together?  Just a wild thought.  :great:
I'm not up to speed on Skype, so we'd need the people that are hosting to be. So, yes, it's possible, but not likely. We'd also need for the dates to line up too.