• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Who needs a car in the winter anyways?

LOL - I know some people who ride two wheels in the snow.  I lived thru a Michigan winter once, it would be hard to ride through 5 feet of snow though.

Visited with a guy last spring who was riding one. 
He said that practicle top speed was a little slow for freeways.  Other than that he loved it.

If you can get a 2 wheel drive one then they are good in snow.
Trouble is that the 2 wheel drive ones are crap on the road.
They are all slow and the engineering makes 60s Brit bikes look newfangled.
They are a hoot to ride but suffer from all of the sidecar problems.
They tankslap like a bitch at about 10Mph (hang on and ride through it).

Over here they are nicknamed "Urinals"  ;D

Boomer said:
They are all slow and the engineering makes 60s Brit bikes look newfangled.
The 60's Brit bikes ARE newfangled compared with the Ural.  They started off in a BMW factory in the 1930s which was disassembled and carted back to Mother Russia by the Red Army at the end of WWII.  They put the factory back together and began cranking out Urals with the usual Soviet attention to fine detail and precise engineering.

A friend with a motorcycle shop sent several cylinders to be milled before he even bothered to try starting them.  That was about 10 years back though; I believe they're making them to much better tolerances these days.

Ryan,

If you're serious about owning one, I know someone in the Brighton area who's owned one for around 5-6 yrs. Let me know & I'll have him give you a call...

My neighbor had one, sold it. piece of crap. He could never ride on the interstate as top controllable speed was about 50 mph!

Although he did say it was a hoot to ride and people took notice when he had his black labrador retriever in the sidecar!

I have a `08 ural gear-up which I bought new. About the first month I owned it I had serious buyers remorse but as I came more accustomed to its behaviours I began to enjoy it. I have 17K on it now and I love it. I have had 2 small issues and both were rectified by the dealer promptly.
It is not a great highway bike but I have had mine on the interstate for 100 miles @ 62 mph with no problems. Mine is the 2 wd version but I would not say it is necessary. I ride mine year round in ohio and would guess that I have not had the sidecar wheel engaged for no more than 10 miles since I`ve owned it. The fastest I have had mine is a gps indicated 74 MPH. I wasnt trying for a top speed when I hit 74 and was surprized to see it when I looked at the gps. A ural is in the record books at bonneville with something like 110 mph.
If you do get one be prepared when you ride it for the Ural delay factor. Where ever you go, whether riding down the road, stopped at gas stations or anywhere else people will ask about it and you have to talk. I could not put a nude super model on my ducati 1098s and get this much attention. I`m not kidding.
Feel free to pm me about any questions and I will give you my phone #>

I just added these:

743476453_f53ME-M.jpg

743476460_oJyNt-M.jpg

Worked great.

:))

Jim and I passed one on the way back from the SE Wrenching session in Georgia recently. The rig was pulling off on a little side road and I slowed down thinking he might have a problem. Then I saw a big huge German Shepherd in the sidecar who looked WAY interested in getting out and taking a pee or something. I pointed and just rolled on. Looked like a scene right out of Hogan's Heroes... :D

Hogan's Heroes - only in America would you see a comedy about a Nazi POW camp...

I suspect the same could be said of The Producers too, actually...