• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Whose was it? (Northwest)

rIDESLOW2004

Training Wheels
Sitting on the floor at Renton Motorcycles, 2008 C14, Cee Bailey with COG sticker on it, risers, Area P exhaust, top box, and a Power Commander sticker by the tail light. Low miles, they said the owner traded in a Wing to get the bike, and traded it in on a Wing.

Great looking silver bike, set up like I would do it. 

Within my reach, if they take my Harley in on trade. 

Seriously thinking about it. 

But if I wait, and sell the HD outright, I could get the next gen with the upgrades....

gPink said:
If you trade the HD for the c14 you may have to change your handle.  :motonoises:

Well, maybe, it goes with a saying in my riding group, "Old People Heal Slow"  and it is a reminder.  The dealer said they could put me in touch with the prior owner, if they agree.  Right now, we are very far apart on the differential.  We will see.  I haven't ridden a C-14 yet, so if we get close, I will ask for the test ride, to make sure it fits.

If they can make you a GOOD offer on it then it's a good bike, but if it were me, I'd wait and get the new one.  They made some changes in 2010 + that were worth the wait in my opinion..(Redesigned fairing that doesn't throw heat on your legs,  Traction Control, etc)

Welcome to the addiction :)

Mad River Marc said:
If they can make you a GOOD offer on it then it's a good bike, but if it were me, I'd wait and get the new one.  They made some changes in 2010 + that were worth the wait in my opinion..(Redesigned fairing that doesn't throw heat on your legs,  Traction Control, etc)

Welcome to the addiction :)

Thanks.  I have probably 300,000 + miles on KZ1000's and variants.  I always thot traction control was something you did between yer brain and yer wrist.  Not a big fan of ABS after I dumped an ABS equipped BMW R1100 with front wheel lockup.  BMW said not possible.  I had witnesses.

I am reading all the posts here, and really listening, before I decide which way to go.  Financially, I would have to wait until next year to get the newer bike.  But if they come close on the differential, I might bite.  Not buying the bike to commute, have a Softail Harley for that.  Just wondering how rough the heat could be on long trips across Eastern Oregon and into Idaho, on the back roads, where speed might not be over 70 or under 35.

Some complain about the heat and some don't. I'm one that hasn't really noticed it a lot and I have rode in 100 + temps. I wear tall boots so that might have something to do with my legs not feeling the heat. There are block off pieces you can get on e-bay for $45.00 that slip in there and block off the heat if its an issue.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawasaki-Concours-14-GTR-1400-Heat-Shields-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3f0cd37a3eQQitemZ270798125630QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

joe in calif said:
Some complain about the heat and some don't. I'm one that hasn't really noticed it a lot and I have rode in 100 + temps. I wear tall boots so that might have something to do with my legs not feeling the heat. There are block off pieces you can get on e-bay for $45.00 that slip in there and block off the heat if its an issue.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawasaki-Concours-14-GTR-1400-Heat-Shields-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3f0cd37a3eQQitemZ270798125630QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Thanks.  I have Danners, 9" and 12", I use for riding, good protection for my weak ankles.

My learning curve is really jumping up.

Starting negotiations today.  If we get close will take a test ride on Saturday.  Anything in particular I should be looking for?

RideSlow2004 said:
Starting negotiations today.  If we get close will take a test ride on Saturday.  Anything in particular I should be looking for?

Yes, try to contain the smile when you get back from the test ride.  It will really compromise you're negotiating position.  ;)

Otherwise, make sure it has both Fobs, doesn't buzz (vibrate) too much at RPMs above 4K for you, and doesn't have any strange handling quirks that might indicate a previous owner crashed it and someone rebuilt it.

If the mileage is at 15K or above, ask for proof that maintenance has been performed at each service interval.  If they can't provide it, use that as leverage to get them to include a valve adjust, or what ever is called for at the nearest major service interval.

C1xRider said:
RideSlow2004 said:

Yes, try to contain the smile when you get back from the test ride.  It will really compromise you're negotiating position.  ;)

Otherwise, make sure it has both Fobs, doesn't buzz (vibrate) too much at RPMs above 4K for you, and doesn't have any strange handling quirks that might indicate a previous owner crashed it and someone rebuilt it.

If the mileage is at 15K or above, ask for proof that maintenance has been performed at each service interval.  If they can't provide it, use that as leverage to get them to include a valve adjust, or what ever is called for at the nearest major service interval.

Thanks, good stuff.  They called while I was at work, to make me the same offer!!!  I said they will have to do better.  Must resist urge to make the call back...

Had some time to start cruising the net.  Have come to the decision that unless they take my bike and $500, it is not a good deal for me.  There are new 2010's out there, non ABS, for around 13,000.

I will call them on Saturday, to see if they will budge. 

My only advantage is that I can walk away and be OKAY.

Still a C-14 in my future, maybe not that one.

Sales guy calls me....good sign....got a different bike on trade.....not such a good sign.......stopped by to look......

2009 Two Brothers slip on, Kawasaki rear box, risers, Throttlemeister, aftermarket windshield, GPS.  1800 miles.  Not a misprint, 1800 miles.  Owner had 2 bikes, ZX-14 and C-14, traded them both in on a Harley.  I told the sales guy nothing has changed as far as what I expect for my bike. 

More waiting .....