• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Why did YOU buy a Concours

mydogyuma

Big Wheel
Hello All, After five years of no bike I'm looking for number 8. My last bike was a V92C Victory...POS....and I'm now looking for something dependable. So here I am.....I liked the KLR, Versys and Vulcans then I caught sight of the Concours 14. Yikes! OH Mamma! Tell me WHY and WHAT you like and dislike about your Concours, you opinion is more important than you know.... Maintanence intervals, etc...true costs... Thanks, David

Hello, I bought mine because I wanted something lighter than my GL1800, equal or better power, luggage/carrying capacity, shaft drive and easier to drive fast :). The Concours 14 delivers all of that and more. Things I did not like: seat - changed to Sargent, windshield - changed to V-Stream, handler bar height - added Helibars, no heated grips - installed Hot Grips, disliked OEM trunk - bought 42L Shad instead. Only have 13K on Boston Blackie now so can't really comment on maint. Though I did try to snug up my exhaust header bolts, which were/are loose, next to impossible without pulling a lot of plastic. Same for plugs. Later, Norm

I bought my 2008 Concours 14 because it was the new and improved version over my older Concours (C10). At the time I also and still do own a 2003 Kawasaki Vulcan Mean Streak. I enjoy owning both a sport tour and a sport cruiser. My Mean Streak has been a flawless reliable motorcycle since I bought it. My Concours 14 on the other hand had been the least reliable motorcycle I ever owned. After three years, I no longer own the Concours 14. I will say that mine seemed to be the problem child of the lot having more troubles than most people reported. I am not posting this to bash the C14. I'm just stating the truth. Take it with a grain of salt! Bionic Bob COG & AMA member First C14 CDA member #0220 08 C14,03 Mean Streak, & 86 C10
2638311280103513287fDmUTZ_th.jpg

After 30 years of riding a 1980 Suzuki GS1000G (Which I still dearly love)I was ready for a more modern motorcycle. I have friends that have the Concours 14, and they talked very well of its comfort and performance. I also have taken a couple of rides with the COG group on my GS over the last couple of years, and thought it wise to join the group. This last Memorial Day, I purchased a new 2009 C14 and have enjoyed every minute of it. It's comfortable for long distances, and is an absolutely blast to ride on curvy secondary roads. My only nit, is that gas mileage per tank is under 200 miles. More like around 190 miles even when driven in 6th gear and keeping a steady 70 MPH. Even my brother who has a 2009 Buell 1125CR loves the smooth power and cornering ability of the C14.

Due to physical reasons after sellin my 02 C10 which was my dream bike since 1986 when they 1st came out I brought the Triumph Sprint ST w/ ABS as it has enough power for what I wanted in a all around sport tour bike 2day & one word describes it 2day & that is AWESOME!!! I didn't get the C14 as it was not a good fit for me plus the weight was an issue for me, but after C'in a Ninja ZX-14 at the COG VT Rally set up for sport tourin which I think loaded weighs less than a C-14, which puts it maybe 60# more than what I got now & don't think it'd be an issue I am puttin it on my list of future bikes as I like the way it fit & the owner said it's fast & nuff said on that bike!!! The best thing is U don't have to owm a Kawasaki Concours to belong to the COG, which is the best sport tour group on the planet IMHO 2day!!!

I like high speed travel and a smooth engine. I sold my R 1200 BMW because it let me down it these areas. The C14 excells in these areas. Rick

I had 75k miles on my BMW R1100RT. Great bike but I just wanted to modernize. The main reason I got a year end '09 C14 was $. I saved at least $5k to $8k when compared to a new ST 1300 or R1200RT. I love the C14, it does everything a good sport tourer should do, good storage, ABS, etc. The power and handling are superb. I added a Sargent seat, Cee Bailey windshield and Two Brothers exhaust and Throttlemeister. I might add electronic cruise control. I haven't had any maintenance issues but I know no matter what, it will always be cheaper than a BMW. I took the money I saved and bought a Triumph Bonneville. My only serious complaint with the C14 is the heat on the lower legs. I don't like it but I'll live. Good luck.

Bought my 2010 for 'Smart' ABS Powerful Radial Braking System Traction Control Tire Pressure Monitoring Battery Voltage Monitoring Goes great, stops great. Safety.

In 1999, I bought a fixer-upper row house in Brooklyn, NY with a garage for my bikes. At the time I had a 1994 Road King, 1997 Triumph T595 and a 1989 Kawasaki EX500 (my around-town beater bike). A few months later, my garage was broken into and the Road King was stolen. Since the RK was my road bike that killed my weekends, but that was okay because I was over my head with a house renovation anyway -- something which occupied almost all of my free time over the next ten years. Last year, with the house mostly done, I decided that I needed another long distance bike. My first choice, again, was a Harley FL but I engaged in a little due diligence and found myself liking the options, among them the Concours. My client, who is a diehard Beemer guy, bought a 2010 Connie and loved his. In the end, six months of research pointed to the Concours. Even though I hadn't ridden the bike I knew I would like it. Two weeks ago, I took delivery and I'm thrilled with it. I only wish I'd done it in the spring, but WTH. Fall in the northeast is a time for motorcycles, emptier roads and heated garments.

See the most things already mentioned here. I have already driven some 1.250.000 km (775.000 miles) with all kind of vehicles. Only the last years I drove more with the motorbike (BMW K75RT but especially Honda PanAm ST1100 and sometimes with the fantastic VRSCA VROD from HD, first version 2001-2002) which accelerates in extremis in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear (6,7 seconds for max 167 km/h = 103 miles in 3rd). But the last I cannot use for working with the bike as independant (accountancy; journalism; EDP and software; and now also playing 'lawyer' after the tried to 'get me down' in a huge divource process). The main reason I bought this bike, has a rational and an emotional side. The bike from 155 HP is symbol for my turnback from emancipated half-man life before the divorce and to turn back in a normal macho man with 155 HP between the legs. On the other hand I calculated as an accountant for maintenance and purchase price. So I could get a deal on a share demobike that can be used by the fantastic dealer www.interbike.be (probably the best of Europe, because he is honest and talks also about the minus-points in technical terms) and the intervals of 12.000 km (7500 miles) means for me a difference of 3 maintances instead of 5 on the PanAm. And I hope I can try the new BT023 Batlax to get 20.000 km (12.500 miles) out of them and restrict that also to max. 2 pair of 'shoos' each year. As I am a happy father of three fantastic kids with my own extra names of 'He who thinks, she who does, she who sees/dreams' (Floris, Marieke, Stientje Van Belle), they made me promise them to live at least still 15 years. So security is also an option. The Kawa 1400gtr (name in Europe for model 2010, former are called GTR1400, here and in Australia called Concours) is a huge adaption to get used. I saw most of the time, it is set on the display with ABS-modus one for high speeds, but I prefer the normal setting with only the wheels on the display with the brackets, so that I can brake normal with the foot brake (rear) and use the front myself. This is going to make a difference in wear on the front brake, because I read in the technical manual that using the foot brakes (smoot in K-ACT modus one and only when pushing hard in K-ACT modus two) makes the front brake cooperate, but only on the right side (explains the topics verywhere on the world about this brake-topic), and from the replacment of my brake pads (front and rear) I will test how long I can go with it in economic driving style. Also the KTRC-function is not necessary, but gives more self-confidence when taking a turn and getting on sand (I live in the country at 5 miles from a bigger Flemish town, 2 miles from the border with French Belgium - a very weird situation in Belgium, and 10 miles from France and 15 miles from Lille) or on painted parts on the bad road surfaces in Belgium (Germany and the Netherlands have perfect roads). See you later, probably, and hope you understand me a little bit, because I sometimes seems to think very fast and 'weirdo', and I cannot imagine this is better in English than in my own language. The lesser point of the GTR is also the better one: I had problems to get my legs over it, but now I am sure, it trains my bones and flexibility! Wanted also to get this option on http://www.corbin.com/kawasaki/kc8trnk.shtml but Corbin seems not te be interested on replying to my mails, so it will probably be the standard large monolock topbox in Neptune Candy Blue...

I bought one cause I had been waiting 20 years for Kawasaki to release a new one. Got my first Concours back in 1988.

I bought mine because I wanted a bike that could do it all.
I'm not dead yet, and I wanted a bike that I could have fun riding fast and one that could go on long rides in comfort.
Plus, My 2009 was a two time "Bike of the year" winner for the "Sport/Touring" class.
When I saw the Candy Diamond Red, that sold me as this is one of the nicest colors to ever be offered on a motorcycle.
Bobby.

I bought mine because:
1) Isn't this the ULTIMATE Sport/Touring motorcycle around period, and 2) the PRICE, sorry but this was a no-brainer for me. :D

Evolution of course
Went from 600 Ninja to ZX-6 to ZX-6 to C-10 to C-14.
All in the family. :)
Yes there were a few outsiders mixed in there for short times.

My wife (The CFO) made me do it!
No I'm not joking!
She wanted to go touring and the cost to buy was less than the cost to rent.

Bought a pair of C10 Connies an 86 & 88 for $1,000.
They were cheap (can go wrong for $500 each right)
Easy to fix, good community of folks to help you out if you get stuck and need advice.
Plenty of after market parts and accessories. 

Its been down hill ever since!  :p

When my 95 C-10's motor died due to Owner stupidity( not any defect in the bike directly :) ) I looked at the 09 C-14 and decided against it in favor of an FJR,  at the time I was leary of premium gas, Kipass, difficulty of working on the bike as well as the 08/09 C-14's propensity to roast your legs in traffic. 

A year later, I had a minor accident in Vermont with the FJR (overcooked a turn and lost traction resulting in a lowside) I was fine, but the ins company totaled the bike so it was time to start looking again.

This time I took a closer look at the C-14 as Kawi had made a bunch of improvements on it (Raised the Mirrors, fixed the heat issue) and I decided to get the '10 C-14,  So far it's been an amazing bike,  fast, fun and comfortable,  I did put some bar risers and a sergeant seat on her (and will be going to a Russel when I can) but she is very comfortable for long trips as is :)  The premium gas is not really a big deal after all (Amounts to a few  extra bucks a week) and as another COG member pointed out, I spend far more time riding then I do working on her so I can deal with some additional headaches with that (but now that I've been in there it really isn't that bad)

About the only thing I don't like is the K-Act (Linked brake system) as it has a tendency to apply too much front brake when the rear level is activated which is unnerving  but now that I am used to it, it's not a big deal.

Loving my C-14 :)

Mad River Marc said:
When my 95 C-10's motor died due to Owner stupidity( not any defect in the bike directly :) ) I looked at the 09 C-14 and decided against it in favor of an FJR,  at the time I was leary of premium gas, Kipass, difficulty of working on the bike as well as the 08/09 C-14's propensity to roast your legs in traffic. 

A year later, I had a minor accident in Vermont with the FJR (overcooked a turn and lost traction resulting in a lowside) I was fine, but the ins company totaled the bike so it was time to start looking again.

This time I took a closer look at the C-14 as Kawi had made a bunch of improvements on it (Raised the Mirrors, fixed the heat issue) and I decided to get the '10 C-14,  So far it's been an amazing bike,  fast, fun and comfortable,  I did put some bar risers and a sergeant seat on her (and will be going to a Russel when I can) but she is very comfortable for long trips as is :)  The premium gas is not really a big deal after all (Amounts to a few  extra bucks a week) and as another COG member pointed out, I spend far more time riding then I do working on her so I can deal with some additional headaches with that (but now that I've been in there it really isn't that bad)

About the only thing I don't like is the K-Act (Linked brake system) as it has a tendency to apply too much front brake when the rear level is activated which is unnerving  but now that I am used to it, it's not a big deal.

Loving my C-14 :)

And I was there to see both episodes!  >:D

I agree with the K-ACT ABS that meant a large adaption from PanAm ST1100 to C14.  But I put in now almost always in second K-ACT modus so on your display you see the wheels without 'brackets':

O O  instead of    (O O)

Then you can use the rear brake with small pressure with your handbrake, so it acts a lot more 'normal'.

Take care also, with K-ACT, only the RIGHT front brake co-acts, so the wear of the front brakes will no longer be even. You can correct this by always using BOTH brakes in the combination you like yourself.

The use of  (00) so results in an faster and especially uneven wear/spoiling of the brakes in front.

Sorry for my poor English in this, I hope you understand what I mean.  Nice and very intelligent forum anyway! Bravissimo in extenso!

Looked good , price was right compaired to some high dollar machines that can't do what this one can , and can carry the mail .

Hi everyone,

I bought a Concours because my fiancee was embarrassed when we would bottom out on my 1981 Honda GL500 Interstate going over bumps.  When she'd ask what was that noise, I'd explain that two people weigh more than one.  :eek:

I loved the ease of maintenance of the Honda but it was getting harder to find and more costly to upkeep the parts.

I had no idea what to replace her with.  A neighbor rode H-D's, BMW, and Kawi.  He was good for advice.  I set a budget of $3000-4000.  Then it was off to Craigslist !!!

I found two Concours for sale last October not far from Milwaukee.  Rode both.  First one was clean and neat.  Second one set up for his wife with longer Rifle shield, heated grips, bar ends, and homemade trunk rack. She didn't ride it much in town 'cuz it was too big.  Loved the longer rides on it though.  Offered money on the second one.

Been in the family ever since.  Rode her to Tomah for national rally.  Commute 74 miles each day, March thru November.

It has been fun to add Kawi backrest for her,  GPS RAM mount (low-end TomTom 125 is nice to have), battery tender w/power socket fro GPS, and now Cee Bailey 26.5" windshield.

Next farkle might be Shad 46 top case to replace Kawi back stop, I mean, backrest.

My two cents...

Matt

I could care less about all the different bikes made and brands.  I wanted a bike with a windshield and some bags to carry my work stuff.  I just lucked into a Concours.  That was 8 years ago or so.

I am a very rational man, but when it took me nine months of bad luck (leasing-problems due to severe divorce problems) I always tried harder and harder till I got wat I wanted via a client (working bike).

Now I realize I just fell in love with this bike on the trade in January 2010 with my blue lover girl 1400GTR (called C14 in the US) now.

So it was and remains rational (price/maintenance/safety/carrying capacity) and emotional (horse power/ beauty/driving 'orgasm') the same time.

Mea culpa mea culpa mea maxima culpa!

BBAR said:
And I was there to see both episodes!  >:D

So what you are saying is that the only dangerous thing for me is riding with you? LOL

I wonder if there really was a problem with your Kipass or if it was just your "Murphyonic" field making it fail LOL  :D  >:D

I bought the concours because I was tired of inflated part prices and having to take 4 days off work twice a year to ride to another state to have my R1150RT serviced with the moditech computer.  Kawasaki dealers everywhere.

I bought a C10, or 1000GTR, in 1989 and rode it regularly until moving from UK to the Middle East in 1996. "Almost my perfect bike" is how I described the C10, being big, comfy, long-range, reasonable handling, etc.

And then in 2009 I talked myself (and my wife!) into buying a new 1400. It is everything I want from a motorbike: large, decent fairing, shaft drive (very important!), hard luggage, comfortable, decent handling, and more power that I'm ever likely to need. And the popularity of the C14 makes farkling reasonably straightforward, provided I don't mind international mail-order.

The fuel tank is too small for a grand tourer, and KiPass and the TPMS I could live without.

In a brief comparison, I recently rode a Honda ST1300 for a weekend. This was the other bike I was looking at before buying the Kwak. I'm glad I made the right decision; the 'Pan Weave' was there at 90mph, although not alarming. (C14 is rock-steady at that speed). I liked the ambient air temperature display, 'cos I was riding in near freezing conditions in the wet. OK, so the C14 2010 models onwards now have this. And I suspect the Honda's valve adjustment is a lot simpler that the Kawasaki's.

Summary: I'm very glad I bought the Kawasaki. I would, in a heartbeat, buy another one. That it's cheaper than the obvious competition is a bonus.

Safety...

Brakes: radial mounted calipers, petal rotors, user selectable ABS 'will rearrange your internal organs"
Traction control
Tire pressure monitoring
Great lights
High speed stability.. turns out to be exceptional in these windy southern plains

Oh yeah, let's not forget the fun factor

KIPASS!  8)

No wait :eek: ... my bike is too old to have kipass... it's an 86 C-10.  I bought her cuz she was big and bad and... well, she was cheap. 

Years later I have spent a lot on her I reckon :-* , but the adventure has been a lot of fun.  Whenever I think there's something that a new bike has that I wish mine did... I build it into her old carcass and she keeps me smilin' and profilin'.

She's got upside down forks, oversized radial brakes, electronic cruise control, 17" wheels and modern rubber, tubular bars, a T25 Garrett turbocharger pushin' 11 psi boost, and homespun EFI.  So, what's a NEW bike got that mine don't?  I reckon that would have to be...
KIPASS!  ;D ;D ;D

All joking aside, Connie is still an exciting bike that dellivers performance, mileage, reliability, and the best weather protection out there in one economical package.  I like her a lot.

BBAR said:
Rev Rider said:
KIPASS!  8)

<SNIP>

That's the reason that I got rid of the C14 and kept the 86 C10!!!!  :D

And I'm not kidding!  >:D

I don't want you to think we're really... like... kindred spirits or anything Bob.  But I have to admit, I had you in mind when i made my post.  ;) ;D

Set da hook and reel.  I'm such a troll ain't I.  :)

Rev Rider said:
BBAR said:
Rev Rider said:
KIPASS!  8)

<SNIP>

That's the reason that I got rid of the C14 and kept the 86 C10!!!!  :D

And I'm not kidding!  >:D

I don't want you to think we're really... like... kindred spirits or anything Bob.  But I have to admit, I had you in mind when i made my post.  ;) ;D

Set da hook and reel.  I'm such a troll ain't I.  :)

Yes sir, and I'll probably take that hook every time!  :D

I was ready to trade up from my Kaw 750 in '90, and stumbled onto a new '86 C10 at a dealer in So Cal, and for the price - why not.  Well, I was immediately hooked on the original.  Took it up through Yellowstone, No Cal, etc, WOW.  I bought a new '99 and rode it until the C14 came out, and started drooling.  But, the problems (heat, mileage, etc) that people talked about kept me away, along with the cost.  But, the '99 was getting old, and the '10 C14 was all good.  After finding a great dealer in Temple City, I rode that blue beauty home, and haven't stopped smiling since!

It was a bit tall for me, and I ended up putting on Projekt D lowering links (they let you keep the center stand), and I love my "new" bike.  I added Murph's bar risers, radiator guard, loud horns, fender extender, and who knows what-I love Murph.  Also hyper lites, tail brites, helmet locks on a license frame, Sergeant seat.

The bike is so solid, so fast, so much fun, so f'n fantastic that I am happy every time I throw my leg over the best bike I have ever ridden - in 40 years starting with a Suzi 250 in Cool TX.

It is definitely worth the cost, and I am not a big spender, but I understand value, and this is it.

Tim

The majority of my family is within a 5 hour radius. That means an overnighter for all but one. Gas cost high=no see family! Bike with bags a must. Living in Texas, the only thing constant about the weather is if you wait a bit it will change. Leave in sunshine return in rain= windshield and fairing a must. My budget left the choices at 5 year old or older. Choices were Honda ST, Kawasaki Connie or Yamaha FJR. Honda was sport/TOUR and good. Enough power, reliable, a bit cushy but could be enjoyed on the sport side some. Kawasaki was SPORT/TOUR about as reliable/service friendly, more sporty with a well supported rider network. Yamaha was SPORT tour and agressive about it. I would be new to street and had done quite a bit of riding motocross and street trail in my younger days so the upright slightly forward was a good match for my practiced style of riding. I followed them all on Cycle Trader for quite a while and was pretty sold on a ST in Houston by a private owner but couldn't quite connect up when a new ad popped up on an 06 with 3100 miles just 15 miles from the house at a dealer that would stand behind it for any issues off the bat. Got the price comparible to the Honda and couldn't pass it up. This group of avid supporters was the extra that sealed the deal. Now me and ConRad are the best of friends!  :D

After learning on a Vulcan 800, I found myself wanting to take longer trips than that bike (and my anatomy) would allow.  Was leaning HARD towards an FJR, but the price always got in the way.  Last October I found a 1999 C10 for sale just up the way and went to investigate.  Seller allowed me to take a test drive on a local stretch of Interstate. Was sold on the spot - hook, line, sinker AND fishing pole.  Ride was rock solid at speeds which it was way too easy to arrive at  :eek:, the shifting and take-off are silky smooth, weather protection is fantastic and there is loads of storage (I've proved it!).  Price was good for me, too.  Bike came with GenMar risers and rear luggage rack, and fit me near perfectly from the get-go. So far I've not gotten to go near enough ...but I do have my first of hopefully many SaddleSores completed!

Since the purchase I've learned two more great things about the bike - it is fun to maintain and there are LOTS of great people in COG willing to share knowledge, who actually show up to provide help, and assist (or conspire, if you prefer) with about upcoming rides/events.

12/24/10 update:  I have now put a little over 350 miles on the new C14 and that is because the fairing is so protective, the heated grips very effective, and the new Cee Bailey Ultratour windshield so effective, that I can comfortably ride when it's in the 30s.  This bike is actually more comfortable to ride in cold weather than my Gold Wing was!  So, I don't have to wait until the summer season!

I have been riding motorcycles for over 40 years.  I had one of the original Concours from 1986.  Did a lot of tours on that bike and put about 40000 miles on it.  I sold it in 1991 and bought a Kaw KLR 650 for riding in the mountains.  A long dry spell from touring then occured and lasted until 2007 when I bought a Gold Wing 1800.  Really liked that bike a lot and did several long tours.  But it just did not have quite the sporting feel that I remembered from my old Connie.  I had been following the development of the C14 since its introduction and when I saw the improvements on the 2010 model (especially the heat control/management!) I knew it was time for another Connie.  I just bought the 2010 about a month ago and have only ridden it about 100 miles.  Can't wait for the summer touring season!

I bought mine today after saleing my 1800 wing last May.
ben riding since 1964 . My dealership had an 08 at a steal so I took advantage of it
I love it. I road raced for 10 years so the Connie and I feel right at home

Bought mine because it reminded me of the '83 Yamaha Venture Royal that I sold when I moved to SE Alaska in '86. (no roads and too much salt).
Got my 1990 in 2007 when I took up riding again after almost 20 years.

When I was walking by it on the showroom floor, my pant leg scuffed the paint on the kick stand and they MADE me buy it!  Really!  And my wife believed that!

Seriously, I made the horrible mistake of test riding one at the International bike show in the fall of 2009.  When I got a big promotion in the spring, the deal was done.  I spent about 12 years riding ZX11s and I loved the C14 when it came out.  I'm actually convinced that the only reason I wasn't a C10 rider years ago is because my only local Kawi dealer simply never had the Connie on the floor.  I loved the idea of sport tour, but never had the chance to try it out.  Then I got older and wiser and lived somewhere with more exposure to larger dealerships.  LOL

I was looking for something lighter in weight and a little more agile than the Goldwing when riding alone.  This does it in spades but I will be hanging onto the Goldwing for a few years.

My 90+ mile daily commute has become a rain or shine commute. Because of that, I wanted a bike with ABS and belt/shaft drive. After looking at a list that included: VFR 1200 DCT, K1300GT, V-Rod Muscle, and the Connie, the C14 won out with the list of standard features at a much lower price than the competition. The added benefit of traction control was the clincher.

Although I haven't ridden it in the rain this week (getting over a pretty bad flu), I no longer dread it like I did on my previous bikes (chains are a PITA to keep clean and lubed in wet weather - I'm lazy but anal  ;D ).

I've wanted a bike since I was 10 years old. My brother and I always said we'd take some time and ride cross country. Well he got his bike first (a 2007 Suzuki Boulevard M109R). I like his muscle cruiser; but  for my 250lbs. 5'10" frame it was a stretch to ride long distance so my quest started for the perfect tourer. I was looking at the BMW R1200RT; but soon stumbled across the C14. After a lot of comparisons and digesting every review I could get my hands on I picked a 2011 C14. The ABS with Traction control as well as the price sold me. Now my bro's all  jealous of my speed and comfort on the road. He's looking to trade his M109R in for a 2011 C14 too!  :D
Good things come to those who wait.

needed a bike with more weather protection and a place to carry my stuff when comutting to work. plus it was reasonably priced. shaft drive, luggage and fairing weather protection.not too complicated to work on. etc. oh, mines a zg1000

It all started with me buying a 1978 Z1R after getting out of the Military.  Loved that bike and wish I still had it.  I had a pretty bad wreck on it and both of us came away from it pretty well.  I got married and raised three kids.  Priorities weren't with me riding or owning the bike so I sold her. 
My friends all had multiple bikes and started letting me go along with them knowing it wouldn't take long for me to get the bug again.  I started looking for one to make a trip to the Mid-Ohio bike races and found a 2001 Connie in mint condition.  Reminded me of the Old Z1R only with bags.  Really liked the bike!!!
Two of my friends owned 14's and after riding one of them I couldn't resist and sold the 1000 for the silver streak.  WHAT A BIKE.  Like riding an electric rocket on rails.  So smooth and powerfull.  Only bitch I have is the heat on rt leg and the God awful UGLY pipe they come with.  Mine got a pipe replacement within a week.  I never thought that riding a bike could be so pleasurable and this one makes it just that!!!

I had been looking for a bike that had more touring capabilities than my Nighthawk, saddle bags, centerstand and full fairing.
When i stopped into my local dealer for a snowmobile trail permit, i seen a left over 2009 C14 sitting over in the corner ... i couldnt believe the price, so i bought it.

MKorn said:
I had been looking for a bike that had more touring capabilities than my Nighthawk, saddle bags, centerstand and full fairing.
When i stopped into my local dealer for a snowmobile trail permit, i seen a left over 2009 C14 sitting over in the corner ... i couldnt believe the price, so i bought it.

I see it's your first post. Welcome to the forum. If you would like, take the time and start your own thread in the introduction section down below, and tell us about yourself!

Yes, welcome MKorn!  I hope you enjoy your scoot as much as most of the rest of us.  And I hope you enjoy the folks you meet here and desire to become a part of our club.  In any case, welcome and join us for some rides or whatever is going on in your area.  If you feel like a longer ride, come visit me in Texas.  It's ALWAYS nice here.  Nice and comfy weather here right now, soon it'll get nice and hot.  :D

mydogyuma said:
Hello All,  After five years of no bike I'm looking for number 8.  My last bike was a V92C Victory...POS....and I'm now looking for something dependable. So here I am.....I liked the KLR, Versys and Vulcans then I caught sight of the Concours 14. Yikes! OH Mamma!  Tell me WHY and WHAT you like and dislike about your Concours, you opinion is more important than you know....  Maintanence intervals, etc...true costs...  Thanks,  David

David,

I was/am a BMW rider for the past decade. I'm a member of BMWMOA & BMWRA. I joined COG for the people & rallies years ago, even though I was riding BMW RTs (sport tourer with emphasis on touring). I find COGGERs great riders & very social/helpful, similar to BMW riders. I was looking at purchasing the K1200GT/K1300GT BMW sport-tourers (with emphasis on sport), but heard from friends & and at BMW major rallies, that BMW was having a lot of trouble with these K-GT  bikes. I demo-ed the 2008 C14 at the COG National Rally. Waited until they fixed the heat problem, moved mirrors, changed windshield, etc in 2010 (& many other minor changes), for the better. Now I own a 2010 C14 for almost $10K less than a new BMW K1300GT. NOTE: I purchased the new 2010 C14 last Fall for $13K (no one was buying at that time), and the BMW dealer wanted $23K for the K1300GT with all the Farkles on it. I think the C14 2010 &11 is better than the new BMW K12/13GTs and/or the new BMW 1600GT or 1600GTL! I do long distance riding for the entire summer (college adjunct faculty ... off all summer). I wanted a sports tourer w. emphasis on SPORT). I'll let you know how I make out on the C14 after this summer. I added bar risers, pigtail for electric clothes, Stebel Dual horns, in process of adding Garmin Zumo 665 GPS Unit w. traffic & weather overlays, etc.

Rich

Ditto to what everyone's said...but in my own words...
I like my bike to look modern, perform modern, and feel modern.  What more could one ask for than a Connie?  Has the looks of a sport bike, but is made to tour....performs like a MotoGP racer, but is tame enough to make everyday rides exhilarating....and rides like a Ferrari, but won't cost you your first born child.  If you can find more 'BANG' for your buck let me know won't 'cha?

I bought a brand new C10 in 2006 it had been 20 plus years since I had been riding. I put almost 70,000 on that bike and through COG met some of the best people ever. I needed an new bike what othere choice did I have. My 2011 is a great bike I got it in March and currently have over 8,000 miles on it.

Buy what you want but get to know these people and you will have a happier life.

I'm new here as well and will do the introduction asap.  I went into the shop for a zx10.  After test riding it, I lost interest. Very fast, obviously, but no comfort...not that it was built with that in mind, but it would it really hurt anything?

The second choice was the Ninja 1000, which was a great bike.  If I were buying strictly for myself, I may have gone this direction,  but my wife turned into a motorcycle monster after I gave her a ride on my sv 650.  At some point in time we noticed the 2008 Concours abs in the corner of the shop.  It had 3000 miles on it, plus a Leo Vince pipe, radiator guard aftermarket rack and backrest.  It was priced 3000.00 less than the Ninja 1000.  A test ride on it sealed the deal.  Very fast engine, but more important was enough torque to leave a stoplight. That seams to be something left out on about 50% of the bikes for sale...

In the week I've owned it, we've put 700 miles in it.  I've ordered a taller windshield for it as the stocker feels a few inches too shirt for me.  Yesterday I would have said I wish it were 100 lbs lighter, btu driving through a mountain area last night we got hit with 40 mph crosswinds....and two sparrows...at that point I wished it weighed 1000lbs and was armed with a shotgun.

The best part of the bike...I get home from work today and she says..."Dont mow the lawn....lets go for  a ride." Thats priceless.

Congrats on the new bike .. i love mine.

i too looked at the new Ninja 1000 but i just didnt like the seating position.  after putting a set of Murphs risers on, i am comfy.
i love my Connie!

I have been a sportbiker for the past 17 years.  As age was catching up to me, i made a solid plan about 5 years ago to move into  the sport-touring niche.  My first looks were of BMWs and the FJR.  I wanted something more comfortable but with the athleticism of a sportbike.  then the concours came and my dreams were filled.  It has the heart of a true sportbike (the ZX14), the bags to carry whatever, so i can put my backpack away for now, it has all of the modern tech a bike should have (upsidedown forks, radial brakes, ect.), yet when i get on and ride, i am sitting up, i am comfortable, and i love this adjustable windscreen thingy...thats pretty kool.

all in all, i am enjoying my purchase and cant wait to get back out there and ride.

I suffer from this strange affliction that causes me to go back and forth between cruisers and sport bikes, so I thought maybe a sport-touring bike would quench both tastes and keep me from swapping bikes every few years.  The Honda VFR and Triumph Sprint GT were more sport than touring and I really didn't think I'd be comfortable on either over the course of a long trip.  I also looked at a couple Suzuki Bandit 1250's and really liked them and I really considered buying one.  Then I looked at the FJR - another great bike and I actually preferred it's riding position over the C14's, but the lack of a 6th gear and a few other minor nit-pic's kept me from pulling the trigger.  The Beemer and Ducati's were well out of my price range and the maintenance costs are even worst so I didn't even bother looking.

As for the C14, I really wanted a 2010 or newer to get the extra goodies, but ended up buying a new 2009 non-ABS model for a song.  In all honesty I'm kind of glad I did from a reliability standpoint.  No ABS system components to go bad, and no traction control or linked braking to worry about.  Yeah I'll miss the headed grips and economy mode, but I can add heated grips myself and if I feel the need I'll can have the ECU reflashed with a new map to get better fuel economy over the winter.  Yes the right side gets a little hot, but it's not near as bad as some air-cooled cruisers I've ridden (big twin Harley's, Yamaha Road Star, etc) so it's a mute complaint to me. 

I bought my 2010 C14 cause :

1) That engine!!!
2) The ergo's
3) The style of the machine
4) That color!!!
5) It puts SPORT touring first

It's the ONLY motorcycle that can take ME across North Amercia,with the biggest grin on MY face. >:D

Riding since 1972-Honda CB450,CB750,CX650Turbo then a HD FXR in 1990 that my wife LOVED and I got a FXRS-Sport in 1991. To carry the boy we bought an HD ULTRA in 1993 and wife got an Dyna Wide Glide in 1997 and I bought a VTR1000 as the ULTRA was BORING but comfortable. Tree rides to Sturgis('92,'94 and '98) wa the HD ROADGLIDE in 1999 and a XR650R in 2001 for the desert out here. AN Aprilia TUONO joined the garage in 2006 and by 2011 I needed a SPORT TOURING bike to go into retirement. EVERYTIME I ride a friends Rtor GS i am totally bored................ EVRYONE says the C14 is the BEST so with a COSTCO deal I bought the 2011.

I've been riding for ... what?  .... 40 years.  E-gad !  Anyway, started on a '58 650 BSA that I bought while I was working in steel for $500 from a guy that lived out of the back of his car by the lake.  I had never ridden a bike before that.

Several years later, several BSAs and Harleys and Valkyrie and Goldwing, FJR later.  I bought an ST1300 which I cared for a great deal.  Much more responsive in the curves and I enjoyed the ride.  Got a ZX14 Ninja cuz I wanted one and the price was great.  Had to sell it before it killed me.

Decided to move to a Connie 14 2010 version because of the message boards, the reviews in bike magazines and how closely it matched the Ninja in power. 

I think it is nearly my favorite bike of all time!  (Goldwing 1800 is still on top by a tick or two)  It is comfy (now that I've spent a ton of money on the saddle, grips, windscreens, risers, lowering pegs, yada, yada.  Yes, a crap load of dough was spent to make it feel good to me.  But, all money well spent, IMO.

The bike is very quick, very responsive in the twisties, puts a smile on my face when I ride it (and I seem to ride it faster than I should), and comfy (now!).  It looks great, altho I'd like Kawa green I think.  Bike sounds great with the Holeshot single can ... and hope to install a ZX14 header and dual Holeshots soon, too.

It's just a great bike !  All 'round great bike.  The C14 does most things very well.  I'd only will use the Wing for long distance work.  The C14 still needs some work to get that comfy and have all the luggage capacity of the Wing for long ride.  But, I love this bike !  Good thing I can have more than one bike, eh.

i had my 02 gl1800 for 9 years and wanted something faster, newer and more nimble. Test drove the new bmw 1600 and the rt 1200. hated the rt( too buzzy) and the 1600 was crazy expensive with no negotiation possible. I saw the concours in the showroom and kept going back to that bike while the dealer ran a credit app.
2 weeks later i bought a 2011 Black abs, traded in the goldwing and am not looking back.

Bill

I've rode sportbikes for years and wanted a bike that still had good handling and performance but more comfortable so I bought an 08 C14 in feb. 09 for 10500.00 and love it only complaint is it hot on the legs so I don't ride when it's hot.I have been looking at the GS 1200 lately because I love duelsport riding but I have a KLR and my C14 is paid for so I'm not looking at the BMW very hard :)

Bought my new 2010 C-14 two months ago!
Pros - Great distance bike, handling, very little vibration, loves the curves, power to spare, looks great, payed $13,500.00 out the door
Cons - stock seat sucks, added heli-bar risers, will replace OEM WS, first brake-in service was $250

"Adventure Traveler Enjoying Life" said:
mydogyuma said:
Hello All,  After five years of no bike I'm looking for number 8.  My last bike was a V92C Victory...POS....and I'm now looking for something dependable. So here I am.....I liked the KLR, Versys and Vulcans then I caught sight of the Concours 14. Yikes! OH Mamma!  Tell me WHY and WHAT you like and dislike about your Concours, you opinion is more important than you know....  Maintanence intervals, etc...true costs...  Thanks,  David

David,

I was/am a BMW rider for the past decade. I'm a member of BMWMOA & BMWRA. I joined COG for the people & rallies years ago, even though I was riding BMW RTs (sport tourer with emphasis on touring). I find COGGERs great riders & very social/helpful, similar to BMW riders. I was looking at purchasing the K1200GT/K1300GT BMW sport-tourers (with emphasis on sport), but heard from friends & and at BMW major rallies, that BMW was having a lot of trouble with these K-GT  bikes. I demo-ed the 2008 C14 at the COG National Rally. Waited until they fixed the heat problem, moved mirrors, changed windshield, etc in 2010 (& many other minor changes), for the better. Now I own a 2010 C14 for almost $10K less than a new BMW K1300GT. NOTE: I purchased the new 2010 C14 last Fall for $13K (no one was buying at that time), and the BMW dealer wanted $23K for the K1300GT with all the Farkles on it. I think the C14 2010 &11 is better than the new BMW K12/13GTs and/or the new BMW 1600GT or 1600GTL! I do long distance riding for the entire summer (college adjunct faculty ... off all summer). I wanted a sports tourer w. emphasis on SPORT). I'll let you know how I make out on the C14 after this summer. I added bar risers, pigtail for electric clothes, Stebel Dual horns, in process of adding Garmin Zumo 665 GPS Unit w. traffic & weather overlays, etc.

Rich

Rich,

i thought about the new BMW 1600..  what don't you like about it??

I've had a couple dozen sport bikes over the last couple decades+, about 3 years ago I bought an 06 VFR (pic of her below) to have something a little more comfy and with hard bags for longer trips, it was a great bike for just me but with mama on the back and the luggage loaded up it was just too small and underpowered/undersuspensioned...

Sold it and bought an 09 ABS leftover model last fall for $10.6 OTD, very happy with it and mama is too...  :13:

vfr4.jpg