• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Why didn't you make an evasive maneuver?

mitchvon

Mini Bike
Monday 02/07/11

I'm coming home from work I turn left on the final avenue before the turn off to my home. The streets are wet from rain but only raining lightly now.  The daylight is fading as the evening begins to gather.  I am the 3rd vehicle in the left lane of a 4 lane avenue.  As I approach to within 30 feet of a SUV waiting the turn left across the driver suddenly turns left in front of me.  I drop an F bomb as I brake and begin to slide.  The sliding of my bike as both it and I go down alerts the SUV driver and she stops.  It is too late and the sequence of events unfold. 

I hit the pavement at 30 mph and slide watching my bike separate from me.  It slowly comes to a stop at the edge of a driveway to the shopping center on my right that the SUV was trying to enter.  I pick myself up and look to ensure there are no other oncoming vehicles behind me.  I approach my bike, engine still running and turn her off.  As I pick up my gps and tank bag off the pavement witnesses rush up to me blocking my view of the SUV.

A woman in an excited voice tells me that I am in shock and that I must sit down.  I ask "Where is the other driver?" The woman point to the SUV in the parking lot and again tells me I must sit down because I am in shock and that she has taken CPA.

I remove my helmet and ear plugs so that I can better communicate.  My right thumb is numb and as I take off my glove to inspect the damage another woman shoves a cell phone into my face proclaiming "911 wants to speak to you!"  The first lady continue that I must sit and I tell her that I don't want to sit on the wet pavement.  She signals the second lady to bring up their car so I have a place to sit.

Inspecting my thumb, now a sort of eggplant purple and distorted I speak to the 911 operator.  "Are you injured? She asks.  Yes, I reply, my thumb is broken.  The operator tells me help is on the way.    A muscular man gets out of a tow truck and hands me his card.  "I was behind the SUV and saw the whole thing.  Give me a call if you need anything" he states matter-of-factly.  I ask if he can stick around for the accident report.  He tells me no problem.

The first woman tells me to sit down again and I tell her I need to get the driver information from the SUV.  She tells me she will take care of it if I sit down.  The second lady arrives with her car at that moment and the first lady shoves me into the passenger seat.  I ask what about the other driver.  The lady asks if I have a pen.

Now mind you all of this takes place less than 200 yards from my home where my wife is awaiting my arrival so I can follow her in my car so she can take her car to the repair shop.  I pull my droid from my tank bag and also a pen.  I hand the pen to the first lady and call my wife.

I've had an accident and I'm over at the Bartell’s parking lot.  Can you come over and give me hand please?  She asks some questions centered on my well being and said she would be right over.

A 3rd lady approaches me with tears in her eyes and tells me she is so sorry am I alright.  I tell her I think my thumb is broken along with my bike. She asks “Why didn't you make an evasive maneuver?" I looked at her a moment, fighting the urge to throttle her and replied “I did, I hit the brakes” She asked why I didn't go around her.  I said "Ma’am, I have no idea of what was going on in your head.  I didn't know if you were going to continue your turn or what you were going to do.  I did my best to avoid hitting you.

The fire rescue squad arrived.  They were quite mature for firemen and one of them remarked "It's a Kawasaki Concours” I asked the fireman if he rode.  He said he had a 93 and a 97 concours.  I asked if he was a member of COG and he said now but was thinking about joining.

As one of his associated began dressing my thumb I extolled the virtue of COG membership and what swell bunk COGgers are.  I told him about the upcoming 20th Anniversary Bun Cooler at the foot of Lolo Pass.  The other firemen all commented on what a great road Lolo pass was.  While they asked if I needed a lift to the ER I saw my wife pull up.  I thanked them all and said see you on the road.

My wife arrives, assesses the situation and asks about the location of the other driver.  I motion to the SUV and ask if she can get the driver’s information as well as the tow trucker driver/witness.  She goes into action and I move to sit in our car.

The police office arrives and gets out of his patrol car.  He quickly separates the drivers and witness from the rest of the crowd and goes about taking down the facts, just the facts.

I hear the other driver plead that I was hard to see.  I am still wearing my high vis reflective vest scrotchbrite reflective strip.  I explained to the officer that I drive with HID driving lights on and wear a white helmet for increased visibility.  The officer tells me that he has just rotated out of 6 years as a motorcycle officer.  He  said “I’ll go you one better, I was one riding a police bike with red and blue lights flashing and siren blaring when a driver turned left in front of me.  People just don’t look” he said then asked if I was OK.  I told him about my thumb.  He said we would complete is investigation as quickly as possible so I could get to the hospital.

The other driver insisted to the officer that it wasn’t her fault because the motorcycle was at least 10-15 way when she began to make her turn.  I heard the officer reply “Ma’am, the speed limit on this street is 35 mph.  At that speed a vehicle will cover 50 in 1 second.”  The officer and the driver walked up and down the pavement where the accident occurred. The officer then spoke to the tow truck driver and took down his statement.

The officer issued the driver a citation for causing the accident while she continued to feel it wasn’t her fault.  The officer looked at her standing next to her teenage daughter and coolly said the following:

“ Let’s take  you out of the accident for a moment.  A vehicle suddenly turns in front of a motorcycle. The motorcyclist hits the brakes to avoid collision and goes down.  The motorcycle continues to slide down the street.  Now lets put your daughter crossing the street at the same time.  The motorcycle slides into her and causes your daughter to be injured.  Wouldn’t you want the driver to started the chain of events that injured your daughter to be held responsible?” The woman replied “Yes.” The officer then said “Now lets take your daughter out of the scene and put you back in the car that started the sequence of events.”

She looked over at me and apologized.  I told her I accepted her apology and didn’t believe she did it on purpose.  I told her that it could have been worse. “I could be lying on the pavement with a sheet over me. The bike can be replaced.  The important thing is that we are both here and able to talk about it.”

The bike had to be towed home and I and currently wearing a cast on my right hand.  The X-rays at the ER revealed my right thumb to be shattered and my right index finger to be fractured.  Shattered is a word I never imaged to be used to describe the condition of one of my appendages. The bike is totaled.  Her insurance claims adjuster said he rides.  Don’t know if he was just trying to make a visceral connection or if he actually rides.

Still sore from a contused left hip and, mostly annoyed but working with the adjuster on my medical bills and value of the bike.  The adjuster said he would take care of everything.  Time will tell.

A few days after the accident the guys at the firehouse sent me a post card they all signed wishing me well. Think I’ll swing by and drop off a copy of the newsletter.  They seem like a bunch of OK guys.

Holy Crap, Mitch.  I'm glad to see you're somewhat OK.  If you have any, and I do mean any concerns about your hand, tell me ASAP.  I'll give you the name of one of the world's best hand docs.  He teaches at U.W. med school.  Let me know if you need any help with repairs.

Wow, Mitch, glad your injuries were not any worse.
You sure wrote a clear, easy to read, detailed account.
Sorry about the Conk damage too.

Hey Charlie,

Thanks for the support.  I have a pretty good Dr. over at Valley Orthopedic Center but things get sideways I'll take you up on your offer.

All's I can say is WOW! Glad you are more than OK but sad you were even the slightest bit hurt.  Amazing that you were able to collect all these thoughts together and you happened to be in the graces of a few people who were more than just empathetic, but knew the deal.

Rest, get well and see you at the BC! Rock on Dude!

Mitch - glad you are doing well. Thanks for sharing your tale.  The cop handled the situation incredibly. I wish more officers rode and can be as fast thinking as he. Although, nothing compares to you who after a crash, suffering with a broken thumb, being pushed around by good Samaritans... still manage to sell COG.  All I gotta say is you're awesome Dude!

Mitch, good account of what happened. Feel better and get back on the horse soon.
I also had a situation involving my cop bike going through an intersection, with my lights & siren on, and a vehicle driving right in front of me. What made me a better rider was riding a bicycle 27 miles through a big city to work three or four day's a week. Make eye contact with a potential problem driver and then watch the wheel's as you enter the problem area. It's a skill that I've refined over the years, similiar to looking throught a turn, that might save another rider from what you were involved with.
It's an after the fact thing, but please let us know how the insurance company's treat you. And good on you to contact the fire fighter's that treated you well.

Almost the exact same thing happened to me on my 1200 Sportster. Only thing different was the time of day mine was at 6am. I was about the same distance from my house too. I can't help but blame mine on the ME880's I was running. :-[  The temps were in the 40's and I had just left the house. In any case I should have slowed down more because of the conditions. My Kevlar knuckle covered gloves kept my hand from being broken. Right hand got stuck between ground and lever. Glad you are all right man. Even though your injuries are minor it can still shake you up..

Glad to hear that it wasn't worse. Hope you continue to heal and the insurance works out. Also, great job selling COG.

Gentlemen, thank you all for the great support and thoughtful suggestions.  Will keep you updated as things progress.

I'm glad your not hurt real bad. It sounds like the people involved were really great people. Even the women who caused the accident realized (after a little help), how things were. But it's still a shame that it happened at all! Feel better and get yourself healed up!

Man, glad you're ok, and great account of what happened.  The cop and firemen involved all sound really, really cool. Great when a LE officer rides, especially in the line of duty.  They really know what the rider is going through.  As others have said, glad the injuries are (relatively) minor, and hope you can be back in the saddle soon.

Also hope to see those fire dudes on here soon!  :)

I'm likewise pleased at your OK-ness.  Sorry for the injury to pride, thumb, and bike, but still tickled you'll be back in the pink soon.  You did a great job not throttling the perpetrator and it sounds like the professionals were excellent while the non-professionals were.... pretty non-professional. LOL

Take good care and I hope insurance treats you well.  :)

The Dude said:
Monday 02/07/11
I drop an F bomb as I break and begin to slide.

Wow Dude, glad you are for the most part alright.  It has been a few days and I hope you are feeling better and the insurance does right by you.

I am only going to say this for the good of others.  I worry I will have the same reaction as you in an actual event and chances are you know this bit of information.  I am just telling the people that read this and may not have thought it through.

First off you needed to BRAKE, not "break"  >:D 

Second and most important.  You will stop much faster with the bike upright and you on the brakes.  The bike and you will slide much further if you go down.  The fact that your bike never hit the suv means you could have avoided the entire mess if you had stayed up.  Practicing emergency braking even on wet ground is very important so that your natural reaction to a sudden situation is not to grab to much brake.  Now "I" Need to go practice.

Shadoobee.  Shattered, huh, shadoobee.  Shattered, shattered.  Don't you know the crime rates going up, up, up, up, up!?

Shattered is not exactly a description I want associated with any part of my being as well.  Really glad you are able to tell about it, and that the officer was able to bring clarity to the driver of the SUV also.

Heal quickly, heal well.

Damn, Dude, that's a heckuva tale. :eek: Ya got to deal with some good FD & PD pros, fer shure. And twas some good COG Marketing thar...nice!  O:)

Hope that hand gits back to 100% rat quik.

Great writeup Mitch

Way to go!

I'll give you a call to talk about the bike and an possible replacement for it if your interested.
I have Chris's scoot in my garage.

Cheers

Colin

Paulie said:
Damn, Dude, that's a heckuva tale. :eek: Ya got to deal with some good FD & PD pros, fer shure. And twas some good COG Marketing thar...nice!  O:)

Hope that hand gits back to 100% rat quik.

Paulie you are the living inspiration to anyone who has ever encountered an injury while riding.  In comparison to your moose encounter I feel like a piker. :) Thanks for the support

Colin said:
Great writeup Mitch

Way to go!

I'll give you a call to talk about the bike and an possible replacement for it if your interested.
I have Chris's scoot in my garage.

Cheers

Colin

Thanks Colin.  I feel this settlement will be drawn out and I have ambitions of participating in the Bun Cooler before it is settled.  Let's chat. Let's do lunch. Have your secretary call my secretary.  Seriously Let's see what Chris' family needs for his bike. 

smithr-scad said:
The Dude said:
Monday 02/07/11

First off you needed to BRAKE, not "break"  >:D 

Don't suppose I could convince anyone that the break was a play on word instead of just a foolish mistake?

You're correct Smithr seems like I need to schedule regular emergency braking practice.  Thanks for the support.

Rob said:
Shadoobee.  Shattered, huh, shadoobee.  Shattered, shattered.  Don't you know the crime rates going up, up, up, up, up!?

Shattered is not exactly a description I want associated with any part of my being as well.  Really glad you are able to tell about it, and that the officer was able to bring clarity to the driver of the SUV also.

Heal quickly, heal well.

You're right Rob, my thumbs all tattered. I'd write more but consider the challenger of pushing a keyboard while having one hand in a cast.  The thumb keeps hitting the space bar accidentally and putting in spaces between every other letter.

First she says you are hard to see, then says you were 10-15 away.  Wow, 10 to 15? Feet? That is hardly time to react, let alone maneuver.

Most motorcyclists seldom practice emergency maneuvers until it's a "no kidding" emergency. Two skills, in particular, should be practiced frequently (at least once per week during your riding season and more frequently at the start of the season if you have a "winter" layoff).  Those skills are: Emergency braking and swerving to avoid an obstacle.  Wonder if I need to write an article for CONCOURIER about this?

Mitch - I am glad you are recovering, as you so poignantly stated to the offender...could have had a sheet over you.  And thank Jim for the reminder, as I get my bike ready from it's garaged winter slumber to prep my mind and body for things like this.  Get well.  thanks for the details of your experience so that we may ready ourselves in preparation.  As a friend of mine says before every ride...."may we look out for danger and may danger look out for us."

glad to hear that you weren't injured more or worst. now, it's time to think about a new used or new,new bike! hoping you have a fast healing process!

Mitch... I read your entire account of the incident, before realizing who it was that wrote it. Then, I noticed the photo on the side and said... I KNOW that guy! Pic is of Lola Pass, no? Anyway, it's an interesting, but unfortunate post, but tragic that it happened. Hope you're on the fast track to a complete mend! Brian (If you make the trip east, hope to catch up with you.)

Hey ZigZag,  That'd be me. The Dude.  How are things at the B&G?  Still dispensing a full pour I'll bet. Got a new scoot and the cast comes off Wednesday the 16th.  I'll be 2 wheeling again with a 2004 Connie.

If I make it east well def get together.  Hope all is well.

The Dude.

Mitch. Don't think we have met, but here's wishing that you heal up well. From my experiance (similiar total job about five years back) I don't know as though I would believe the insurance company any further than I could throw them. I got jerked around for months by the gal's insurance who pulled out in front of me (and was cited) and I had to argue with them about everything. Everthing from the jacket that the paramedics cut off of me to the airfare to get home from San Jose. My "wreck" was in the Santa Cruz Mountains. Not to mention the bike they wanted to shaft me on. My first Connie. On my third now, although I still have the one I bought to replace that one. Anyway, I hope everything works out for you. Yes, COG is a great organization of individuals.

DamDan

DamDan, I appreciate your and the other COGers support.  Perhaps we can discuss at the Bun Cooler in May.  Till then ride safe and I'll be doing my best to do the same.