• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Why Shinko Verge Tires Wobble ( my opinion ) - Avon AM26 problem solved. PICS !

bearcat

Training Wheels
Hello all,

I came up with an opinion as to why Shinko Verge tires wobble.  I believe it's the rear tire that causes the problem.

These tires have only 1700 miles on them.  They always wobbled on rain grooves and expansion joints. I believe the scalloped tread design was the cause.

SEE PICS: (yellow lines) Where the scallops are.

I replaced both tires with Avon Roadriders AM26. WHAT A DIFFERENCE !  Wobble gone and turn in much better due to correct front tire size.

Connie-1.jpg

Connie-2.jpg

Connie-3.jpg

Connie-4.jpg

Connie-5.jpg

Bearcat said:
I went with the stock 110 /80 /18  on the Avon.  The Shinko was 120/80/18.

Pretty sure it was a 120/70ZR18 Shinko Verge...it’s the only 18 inch option in the Verge...

Another satisfied customer of the AM-26. I have been telling folks for years about this tire and how well it handles. Maybe more folks will give it a try.

Jim Snyder said:
Another satisfied customer of the AM-26. I have been telling folks for years about this tire and how well it handles. Maybe more folks will give it a try.
I passed your recommendation of the AM-26 to a young guy that I met here.  Last time I talked to him, he couldn't say enough good things about those tires.  Maybe I'll try a set of those next time. :great:

Jim Snyder said:

Jim, I ready to replace my Avon storms on my c10 that I got 8k miles on.  I remember you saying you put Avon Spirits on your Fjr. I am trying to decide between the Avon  AM26 and the Spirits for my c10.  So with your experience with both tires what would you recommend?  Thanks in advance.

Dale

ive been running them for years on smaller bikes, never occurred to me to run them on a big old tank like the c10 till I read Jims review.  :beerchug:

My wife's C10 is wearing the AM26's. Very, very good tires. I wouldn't hesitate to put them on my C10,  but I've already done the Mean Streak rear wheel conversion. I do like  the planted feel a good 170/60-17 gives me on the back.

Rideezdale said:
Jim Snyder said:

Jim, I ready to replace my Avon storms on my c10 that I got 8k miles on.  I remember you saying you put Avon Spirits on your Fjr. I am trying to decide between the Avon  AM26 and the Spirits for my c10.  So with your experience with both tires what would you recommend?  Thanks in advance.

Dale
On the C-10 I would go with the AM-26's. They are by far the best handling bias ply tire I have ever used. And they have no heavy feel as many others do. I like the new Spirits on the FJR but I am already getting some cupping.

Jim Snyder said:
Rideezdale said:
Jim Snyder said:

Dale
On the C-10 I would go with the AM-26's. They are by far the best handling bias ply tire I have ever used. And they have no heavy feel as many others do. I like the new Spirits on the FJR but I am already getting some cupping.

Thanks Jim, that's the direction I was leaning.  I appreciate your recommendation!  :great:

Dale

Rideezdale said:
Jim Snyder said:
Rideezdale said:
Jim Snyder said:

Dale

Thanks Jim, that's the direction I was leaning.  I appreciate your recommendation!  :great:

Dale
You will be amazed how well they handle and they track well on the highway. These are not your daddy's bias ply tires. Let us know how you like them.

Did I mention how much I like these tires.    :great:     

I lived with those Shinko Verges for 1700 miles.    ::)

I believe the manual does say 120/70-18 but that would be incorrect for the rim width.
The correct and better handling size is indeed 110/80-18 as is mine and others experience .
I have ridden on Goldwing size tires on a C10 and those tires  handled like a tank.
I think the earlier  years the front rim  was narrower and  the later C10 years were wider
2.5 inches wide and the newer C10's are 3.0 inches wide- is that correct?

Here is a good link that explains it.

http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal/clubstatic.cfm?clubID=1328&pubmenuoptID=34855

Stock C10 Tire Sizes
The stock front tire for the 86-93 Concours is 110/80-18 and fits on a 2.5 inch wheel. The stock size front tire for the 94-06 Concours is 120/70-18 and fits on a 3.0 inch wheel. For both the stock rear tire is a 150/80-16 tire fit on a 3.5 inch wheel.
Fitment Observation
This article is about tire fitment observations for the 94-06 Concours using aftermarket 120/70-18 front tires. The stock Dunlop K700 series tires are radials tires, and the 120/70 front is designed for a 3.0 inch front wheel the Concours has. However this is somewhat unique. And the problem is no one really likes the stock tires very much. Many like to choose a more performance oriented tire. The problem with the performance oriented radial front tires available in the stock 120/70 size, is they are intended to be mounted on a 3.5 inch wheel. If you check the websites for Dunlop D205's, Avons and many other MFG's the 120/70 size is designed for 3.5 inch wheels, with 3.5 inches being the minimum width allowed and 3.75 or 4.0 being the widest.

The first thing I noticed about the Avon AM26 110/80-18  vs  the Shinko Verge 120/70-18 was the turn in.    The Shinko falls into the turn while the Avon is more progressive.

Bearcat said:

I told you you'd like them. For all of the years folks said there were few options for stock size C-10 tires, and Avon had the AM-26's all these years.

Jim Snyder said:
Bearcat said:

I told you you'd like them. For all of the years folks said there were few options for stock size C-10 tires, and Avon had the AM-26's all these years.

You are right, they are great,  They function well and have a nice looking tread pattern, Plus the price is reasonable,  Anyone with a C-10, in the market for tires should get a set of Avon AM26's.