• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Why so many 2005's for sale ?

captain one eye

Training Wheels
Hello , I'm new to the site . I currently ride a 1982 Honda CX500 Custom . My Wife and I ride two up and I see we need a bigger bike . I've done my research and I'm currently shopping for a Connie . I test drove a used 05 and immediately fell in love . I was wondering why so many of the bikes I see for sale are 2005's ? It seems like at least 75 % ! Is there a reason for that ? Any problems that model year ? Thanks for this great site ! Captain One Eye

I was wondering why so many of the bikes I see for sale are 2005's ? It seems like at least 75 % ! Is there a reason for that ? Any problems that model year ?
Its the color,, ;) Its proven that its the slowest of all,,,LOL No there is really no issues with the '05. The bike has been built mostly the same from '87-'06. You might be seeing more because they are now 3-4 years old and for some its time for something new. Welcome to the forum !! CT AAD COG #7011-A 2003 Concours-Mary Ann 1995 Honda Nighthawk 750 wifes
2404055870098914013eWgtrD_th.jpg
2032479400098914013vMhfsR_th.jpg

Maybe something to do with being out of the 3-yr warranty? There was not any difference in the models from 94 to 06, except for color. Expect to get replies on ('fastest', 'sexiest', 'chick magnet', 'stealthiest', ) color choice. "Please select one or enter your own!" ;) Welcome to the forum, Captain, from a Honda GL650 owner! ..dz.. 2003 Concours 1983 Honda Silverwing 2008 Yamaha Majesty (new) 2003 Honda XR70 (son's)

+1 on what Dave said. They either hate themselves for not waiting for the most beautiful color of all, metallic nocturne blue, as seen on the 2006 model, or felt they needed to step up to the Concours 14 in order to more easily reach escape velocity. '

I think it's more because there are three kinds of Concours riders: 1. The guys that trade bikes every 3 to 4 years. This is about the time when cam chains need replacing, wheel bearings need replacing, steering head bearings need replacing, maybe a couple of bulbs in the instrumets have gone south, and it just doesn't feel "new" any more. BTW, all the ills I mentioned are easily addressed by anyone with common hand tools and common sense. 2. The Lifer. These are the riders that still hold that Pearl Gentry Gray ("Silverdammit") is the only one true color. 50K miles? They scoff at that. 100K? 150K? Shee-it. That's just getting broke in. They will probably get buried with their ancient road warrior. 3. The Second Time Around: These are riders that purchased their scoots used, for whatever reason: money, they like the color, the seller gace it away, don't want to new C14 and they are finally in a position to buy, whatever. So, I'd surmise the glut of 2005 models you are noticing is likely due to Rider Number 1 and his brethren & sistren. Just be quick though before Rider 2 scarfs them up for parts to keep his '86 running.

Oh, BTW, welcome to the site. Depending on your location, I am sure there is a gaggle of COGers nearby that would be happy to "eyeball" any prospective purchases for you and offer Exepert Advice and Counsel. Seriously, feel free to ping any of us with specific questions. You can send me a PM and that will show up in my regular E-mail. And, uhh...what are you gonna do with the CX?

Oh, you guys that don't have the great '05 color are just jealous! Slowest color, my eye! Coming back from Colorado last year my GPS showed a max speed of 245 MPH! Bet yor Sonis Blue and Metallic Nocturne Blue can't touch that :eg: Flame on!!!! Seriously, I don't know why all the 05's are on the block. Mine is pushing 40K with no issues. Colorado and back to Florida last year and she never bobbled. Maybe it is the new bike syndrome mentioned. I rode the C14 at Canaan Valley in '07 and it wasn't for me. Too much to the sport side of sport touring. And I sure don't need the extra power from a 1400 engine. My C10 is thrilling enough! My $0.02. Eddie Sanford, FL 2005 Concours 1969 Triumph Bonneville AMA# 686667 COG# 7073 CDA# 0136 http://picasaweb.google.com/Eddie753

Coming back from Colorado last year my GPS showed a max speed of 245 MPH! Umm, yeah, I know that trick too. Turn it on with its internal battery and tuck it into your carry-on bag for United Airlines flight 165. ;)

Rich, mine doesn't have an internal battery.;p I think it has something to do with deviating from B1tchin' Betty's recommended route and then rejoining the route down the road. See ya at Fontana! Eddie Sanford, FL 2005 Concours 1969 Triumph Bonneville AMA# 686667 COG# 7073 CDA# 0136 http://picasaweb.google.com/Eddie753

Rich said : (And, uhh...what are you gonna do with the CX? ) I'm going to sell the CX .I'm going to miss it though . I like the way it chugs along and I don't care that it sounds like a boat motor . I have found a 2001 sonic blue connie near Atlanta that I plan to buy next week . I'm flying down and riding back . I'm a little concerned about riding 7 hours on a strange bike but I'm just going to go for it . I might post my CX on the classifieds if it doesn't sell quickly in front of my house . Thanks again for this great site and especially the great people . Paul

Some people can't handle not blending in. It's not like there are no other blue, black, red, or grey (yes grey) bikes out there. The only problem I have had with my Spectacular 20th Anniversary Edition 05 was a flat that was caused by something falling off an 06 :eg: Respectfully Yours! Wess Heavner COG #8010 CDA #0239
2956721740102653285S200x200Q85.jpg

I don't see 7 Hours on a Connie as a huge deal if your used to the CX and long-ish rides. (I used to have one in the 80's great bike for me at the time) Just make sure that you pull over and find a motel if you get too tired. Better to take 2 days than become a statistic! Hope your going to swing by the National at Fontana Dam! :) Enjoy the new scoot! Colin Prior COG Webmaster Lake Forest Park WA COG#7767 AMA#1081764 ROK#20000617
2606714340100596652OGFlOW_th.jpg

My first ride on mine was a five hour ride home in late April. The only hitch was it was cold but they are a great cold weather bike so really no problem at all.

So how did that seven hour trip work out anyway? This is exactly how I managed to get my hands on my Connie -- purchased it from a shop in DC, took the bus down there a week later and rode it back. No regrets! Eric

My '05, bought new in '06, is also going to turn 40k this week (it shares the mileage with two other bikes, no cage for me). I'm having all kinds of growing pains with it but it's just wear issues and since I am a very slow and new mechanic it takes me forever to fix it, but, I CAN do it myself at home. That's why I love the bike. But I hate the color. Sorry Eddie, I'm painting my Connie the girliest blue you ever saw when I get back from the AMA conference in CO this month. It's gonna be somewhere between "toothpaste" and "Prius" girlie blue. Not quite teal. I may find it fitting to put some kind of flower decal on there as well, to complement the makeup case hard luggage. Barbie bike here we come! (If you ever met me you're laughing right now because you know I'm just not the type to consider eye shadow as riding gear. But I'm serious about the bright, happy blue.)

Jenn....I've got some really cool turquoise peel powder coating that would loooooook goooooood
turquoisepeel.JPG
http://millerized.com/pegs I'll be in the garage
welder.gif
COG 6425, CDA 111 a through g
member8960.png

Little known secret, guys: the 05 color is the only one that's AARP Approved. Gotta admit that I kinda like it, too. No doubt I'd be STYLIN' with white patent leather loafers, ascot & goggles. 23 Skidoo! 01 Conc, Mijami Floriduh OTP 06: http://tinyurl.com/2vk9o2 route map: http://tinyurl.com/4p7pmd
yzdfi9.jpg
yzdfib.jpg
yzdfia.jpg
y6x7zt.jpg

Only one thing I can say for that Paulie: Ugh. :| :) http://millerized.com/pegs I'll be in the garage
welder.gif
COG 6425, CDA 111 a through g
member8960.png

OOh, is a nice blue color, but not quite girlie enough. I'm thinking maybe a Bahama blue, metallic or pearlized. Of course everything depends on what I can technically do, this will be a home job with my top-of-the-line Harbor Freight paint gun, regulator, and filters. On sale! And you thought I liked to shop for high heel shoes.... Seriously, the price of the equipment and the paint is less than half what I'd pay a pro, and ya'll know I love to try it myself. Heading out to CO in the morning, already chewed my nails off I'm so nervous. All my long trips have been COG rallies, this one I'm as solo as I've ever been, nobody there can help me with any bike trouble! I have spare coils and plugs and wires, spare igniter, and spare water pump after the last month of agony waiting for parts. Yeah, COG addy book and tire plugs and air pump too. Tool kit. And a big 'ole hatchet. And a .38. It'll be all good....it's GOLDEN!!!

I vote for the 2001 blue one too! KEEP the CX AND get the Connie and be a 2 motorcycle family! Methinks you will be very happy with it!