• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Windshield - Aeroflow Tall vs. Cee Baily Ultra Tour

kevini

Tricycle
Hello - I'm 6ft with installed AST 2inch pullback and Murph's wedges (ride solo 90% of the time). I despise the buffeting with the stock screen and avoid highway driving because of it. My main goal is to reduce the buffeting, provide protection in winter, and use this screen year round.
  • If in the down position will I get some fresh air in summer?
    • I read the Aero has an air intake - so does it allow more cool air in winter? 

I reviewed most of the previous posts and would like feedback on the two products or offer alternatives. Thank you

I've got the Ultra Tour Extra Tall. I find between the second and third setting I can see over the screen with no buffeting. The Cee Bailey has a space in the middle bottom to stop back pressure. It is not adjustable. I ride with the screen full up when I have the war department riding on the back. I must look through the screen but the air is more stable in the back for her. It's about 1000% better than the stock screen.  I have no experience with the Aeroflow but was tempted to buy that one too. Some folks on this forum whose opionion I respect pushed me towards the Cee Bailey. I'm very happy with it. The only thing I can think off that might bother some folks is that it flops around a bit over 90 mpg, but that really doesn't bother me. :motonoises: Good luck with your choice.

Oh yeah, I'm 6' too but have a real long torso (stub legs) so you might not need the extra tall.

I have used both screens and prefer the Aeroflow.  I am 6'2" and still look over both but the AF reduced the buffeting, both screen up and down.  I can't vouch for the winter comfort as I just put it on in September, however, I don't "feel" any air coming in under the screen so I am expecting it to be on par with the Ultratour, which also has an opening bottom/center to help laminar flow.  I typically don't ride when the temp gets below 45* though.

One of the first mods I made on mine was the Cee Bailey's high dome ultra tour.

I love it.

I'm 6', as well.

Works great in winter, rain... Great in summer.

Best $225 I spent.

At times, I wish I'd bought the smoked tinted one for looks, but I ride at night some...
Might be tough to see through at night?

Takes them a while, they custom make each order as they receive them.

For touring, it really works well.

I'm on my fourth wind shield in 67000 miles. The one I have now is the aeroflow tall and it is by FAR the best I've had. Previous windshields were; stock, vstream and calsci. Aeroflow is made to run at about one inch up from the lowest position. It has NO dirty air and No helmet buffeting period. Still lots of ventilation since its so low. No back pressure either, until you raise it up for rain. Even then its not as bad as the others.

Ok folks..... I (we) need a little more info from you.

Some of you listed your height, although this is good, I (we) also need to know:

-you inseam measurement
-do you have risers or aftermarket bars (if so, how much rise/pull back)
-what helmet you are wearing
-and is your seat at factory height or is it lower/higher (and if so, by how much).

Why, some of you may ask?

All of these (and I may have missed some) will play a factor with where your head located in relation to the shield and the aerodynamics of the air  that is flowing around it.

I'm 5'10" with a 30" inseam. Short legs, longer body so I sit like a well proportioned 6' person. (from the seat up).
I have a Shoei rf-1000 which has been the same with all the windshields I have used.
1 3/4" risers with no pull back.
Russell day long seat. It may sit 1/2" taller than stock seat.
I am using the tall version of the Aeroflow.
I also use Baker air wings to get more airflow to my body, which also virtually eliminates any backpressure. That was not the case with the other 2 aftermarket windshields, I could not get rid of the backpressure they created. I close the airwings in wet or cold conditions and the backpressure is not too bad.

Again, in clean air, (not following a truck) there is NO wind buffeting. Just lots of smooth air which you can still feel if you want to. If you don't want to feel ANY air or rain just raise it up.

Like I said earlier, it is designed to run at 1" up from the lowest position to open the air gap under the windshield and allow for major air flow on the inside of the screen.

Hope this helps.

I added most of information in my original post. 
I'm 6.0 with 33 inseam, AST 2 inch up 2 inch back risers, Phil's wedges, custom Laam about 1 inch up, Shoei RF1000

Slightly off topic, but I don't know how you guys handle summer temperatures with a big shield. Heck, in summer, I'd ride with no shield at all before I'd use my GBMF Cee Bailey shield. In cold weather, I can appreciate a larger shield. But in summer, I gotta have air! The more air, the better!

I suspect that windshield choice is probably the most subjective of all farkles. Besides our physiological differences, we each have our different tastes as to air flow, risers, seat height, etc., etc.

That's one of the best things about a bike: we can farkle it to our own individual tastes and preferences.

32" inseam.
2 seats... Stock, and Sargent low...
Scorpion EXO 700 helmet.
I have 2" risers, with Phil's wedges.

When I raise my CB all the way up, my line of vision is 6" down from the top.
When it's fully lowered, I see 3-4" over it.

When the stock one was all the way up, it equals all the way down on the CB.

Some may not like that. Some may not like how large it looks on the bike.

I do, because I like the protection it offers, both in rain and cold.

Stock shield on the 2011 is taller than previous models, but nowhere near tall enough, or wide enough, to suit me. All the way up, I still experienced buffeting and wind noise.
Calm and quiet with the CB.

Haven't seen what the Aeroflow looks like on a C14. Anyone got a pic?

I added a Cee Bailey's extra tall ultra tour shortly after buying my 2012 C14. I thought I got a lot of helmet noise with it unless I ran it all the way to the top. I'm 6'2" and sit tall in the saddle especially with the custom Baldwin saddle on the bike. Tried various other shields and had settled on a Cal Sci extra wide tall but did not like the way it flexed in the wind. I had a Laminar Lip in my not being used farkle collection so I added it to the CB shield. Guess what? I think that's the answer for me. Can run it about 1/2 up and very little noise. Curious if anyone else has tried the laminar lip on any combination of shield? 

Fork

**Update**

Installed the Cee Baily Ultra Tour and satisfied with the results. The shield is 1 inch above my line of site in the full up position. I do not require ear plugs!

smooth_operator said:
I've got the Ultra Tour Extra Tall. I find between the second and third setting I can see over the screen with no buffeting. The Cee Bailey has a space in the middle bottom to stop back pressure. It is not adjustable. I ride with the screen full up when I have the war department riding on the back. I must look through the screen but the air is more stable in the back for her. It's about 1000% better than the stock screen.  I have no experience with the Aeroflow but was tempted to buy that one too. Some folks on this forum whose opionion I respect pushed me towards the Cee Bailey. I'm very happy with it. The only thing I can think off that might bother some folks is that it flops around a bit over 90 mpg, but that really doesn't bother me. :motonoises: Good luck with your choice.

Oh yeah, I'm 6' too but have a real long torso (stub legs) so you might not need the extra tall.

"when I have the war department riding on the back".....that is the funniest thing I've heard in a long time. Wow, I love it and know exactly what you mean.  Too funny.