• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Windshield removal /Riser Install question

jagman

Moped
I had the dealer do both of these things when I took it for the first service, (remove the risers and add the Cee Baileys WS.)  My, what I'm sure are very simple questions, are:

-Since I will likely experiment with various WS's as I do with all bikes, and didn't swap this one out, I'm wondering if the back bracket on the WS is attached with an adhesive of some type.  I used a 4mm allen to remove the screws and the front bracket came off but the WS was firmly still in place.  There was a rubber washer behind bracket on the back and what appeared to be so kind of adhesive so I didn't want to force the WS off.

-For the handlebars, how do you remove the black plastic bolt covers on the six bolts securing them to the bike.  I know, lame question, and it seems obvious that it's pop a flat head in and pop them out, but there isn't a good place to get under them and not wanting to ding them all up trying to dig them out should I decide to put the risers back on at some point.

Thanks

Added risers 3 weeks ago on my 2010 C-14, I used a very small flathead screwdriver to pop up the caps. Installation took about 30 min and reinstalled the caps. Which I could have gotten another inch rearward with the risers. I am short at 5'9" and short arms.

There shouldn't be any adhesive on the shield, mine didn't have any when I changed my stock shield, just rock it back and forth a little to break the seal.

yup, i agree w/ joe in calif. i routinely remove my shield for cleaning, and have a NC Vstream for winter riding. there is no adhesive from factory, so remove all retaining bolts and give the shield a shake. if that dosent work, GENTLY pry with a small screwdriver. if in fact you discover some water head at the dealer put tape on it, grab a BFR, head to the dealer, and have a come to JESUS meeting with the service writer.  :rotflmao:

Cap'n Bob said:
The rubber gasket on the lift arms is probably sticking to the shield!

It was, a well as the entire plastic bracket :-[    Thats why I didn't see the THIRD screw on each side. 

Thanks for all response to this seemingly  lame question.

I'm another newcomer to this model. I'm playing around with a few things as well. I've juswt last night experimented with the murph's 1 5/8 risers. I have one bad shoulder that has had some troubles. I dont mind it without the risers so far too much...it does bug my bad shoulder a bit on longer rides.
tonight with the risers it is better and a more relaxed position for me. They say the  police versions of this bike come with 2 inch risers,...that may be more than I'd want,but i think these ones are staying, for now anyway. It is only a 10 minute switch with these ones, so not a big deal to go back and forth to try it without again later.

Ive got the two inch risers on mine, and kinda wish i could get a little more height out of em. I know there are more add ons that i can use, but enough has to be enough. I'm currenty saving my money for a cruise control system. I have a Throttle Miester but i dont trust a locked throttle.

If you only removed the 2 bolts holding the outer covers on each side, then you have missed the single bolt underneath! Yes, the shield could have stuck slightly to the rubber gaskets, but if the dealer recently changed the shield this is unlikely.
Make sure all the bolts are out before applying force.

I am a newby and I am wanting to add to my 2011 c14. I am looking at fenda extenda, do you have to remove the fender to install and is this a necessary add-on? Looking at Throttlemeister Cruise, are there any other options? Lowering my front footpegs, I am 5-11 and I am going to install MCL handlebar risers, do you think I need to lower pegs? I am looking at Cee bailey bag liners, any comments on bag liners for long travel? Any ideas on tunes while riding? As for a windshield for a 5000 mile trip I was thinking of the Cee Bailey Euro. I have only 400 miles on my bike and I am thrilled with my purchase. The handling is incredible in the curves. I have a Harley Streetglide on steroid's so I purchased this bike for longer trips. Any comments or help is deeply appreciated.

Yup, you gotta pull the front fender off the install the extender. Not a big job, just be careful not to break the clips holding the hoses and wiring. Lots of other options to the Throttle Miester, including but not limited to the Go Cruise, CCS cruise control, and other products that a simple google search will locate. I have the Throttle Miester and it works great for superslabs with no traffic.

I installed Murphs lowering pegs and bar risers. The only complaint with the lowered pegs is a lot of scraping during low speed manuvers. (The kind of stuff motor cops do) The bar risers are great, but i wish they were a little bit taller. As a reference i am 5'11", 32 inch inseam, and approx 215 lbs.

There are literally too many options for a windshield. I have the Vstream by National Cycle that i use for winter riding, and it absolutely throws the wind over my body and makes it quiet enough that even with my two bro's racing pipe i can hear the tires on the road. I dont even need to wear ear plugs it is so quiet.

This may also help if you didn't notice it.

http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,27354.0.html

streetglide said:
I am a newby and I am wanting to add to my 2011 c14. I am looking at fenda extenda, do you have to remove the fender to install and is this a necessary add-on? Looking at Throttlemeister Cruise, are there any other options? Lowering my front footpegs, I am 5-11 and I am going to install MCL handlebar risers, do you think I need to lower pegs? I am looking at Cee bailey bag liners, any comments on bag liners for long travel? Any ideas on tunes while riding? As for a windshield for a 5000 mile trip I was thinking of the Cee Bailey Euro. I have only 400 miles on my bike and I am thrilled with my purchase. The handling is incredible in the curves. I have a Harley Streetglide on steroid's so I purchased this bike for longer trips. Any comments or help is deeply appreciated.

Thanks RDM for your help.
Wow Capt Bob, this took a lot of work to put this together. Man I think I hit the jackpot with this list. Thanks a mill.