• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Winter glove solution

amdonim

Bicycle
I've always hated winter gloves. I have a nerve issue in my elbow that makes it hard to grip through the thick insulation, and my fingers still end up cold anyway. I was thinking of just using my summer gauntlet and purchasing a heated liner. Anyone tried this or have thoughts?

I'm  looking at the Warm and Safe liners for the same reason.  This part of Europe doesn't get cold enough to put on anything really heavy, so I thought I would try the liners.

consider heated grips or electric gloves.  you should not have to wear anything extremely bulky to keep hands warm.  I went the grip route.  I usually wear my leather gloves with them.  I find a layer of leather keeps wind out nicely.  if it gets below 40, I add a synthetic liner to the gloves to have an extra layer.

We have a frost warning for Friday night, and I'm planning on an early ride Saturday morning, so I'm going to use that as an opportunity to to test my insulated Bilt gloves vs. my uninsulated Joe Rocket gloves with an insulated liner. I figure I'll try one approach on each hand and see which one stays warmer. But hopefully my next bike will have heated grips.

I too have damaged fingers on the left hand, the index and forefinger will get cold and go numb  long before any  other extremity, the best solution I have discovered is  electric gloves, and the aerostitch "lobster claw" glove covers.  the gloves will keep you warm and the covers will ward off wind and water.  I have never found a truly waterproof glove in 40 years of riding, some hold out better than others but after a few hours in the rain they all fail.  the glove covers dont give up.
http://www.aerostich.com/clothing/gloves/rain-glove-covers/aerostich-triple-digit-covers.html

I use the firstgear/warm-n-safe electric gloves,
http://www.warmnsafe.com/the-rider-classic-style-mens-heated-gloves/
the firstgear gloves you can find on the shelf at cyclegear are essentially the same glove if not the exact same model. and it helps to try on a pair live as it were.

I should also mention my brother is a big fan of the Hippo Hands. They look dorky as heck, but he says nothing keeps his hands warmer.

One other approach I once used was to rubber-band a chemical hand warmer to each palm on a particularly cold morning before I had other, warmer glove choices. A little hillbilly, but it worked well enough.

Thanks for the advice, I guess I'm just going to get a new set of winter and summer gloves. Alabama weather is so unpredictable, and with my fairing gone I'm noticing I'm getting cold fingers even in the 50s.

Bunch of pretty good ideas but like the OP originally asked, has anyone tried the electric liners?  I just ordered a set of silk liners for when it's not cold enough for the electric  stuff.  Also have the warm and safe electric liners on order.... :motonoises:

Sorry for talking over you, Anthony...guess you already made your decision.  I was writing my post at the same time you were writing yours.

bajakirch said:
I should also mention my brother is a big fan of the Hippo Hands. They look dorky as heck, but he says nothing keeps his hands warmer.

One other approach I once used was to rubber-band a chemical hand warmer to each palm on a particularly cold morning before I had other, warmer glove choices. A little hillbilly, but it worked well enough.

Hippo hands have been long gone for almost a decade, but you can make your own easily, and make them to fit your bike...
I may make a set...
As for the chemical hand warmer packs (hot hands), I've slipped them down in my insulated gauntlet gloves, on the backs of my hands, as that's where all the larger blood vessels supply blood to the hands... and those work well for many hours, and even when they stop working, the package plastic adds to the wind protection, and you can get almost a full day ride at 35* out of them.
BUT, I also have a Gerbing inner Jacket.. and that allows me to ride in mid 30* temps, without needing hand warming additions...below 30*, my hands get cold after about an hour...

I dread the temps coming in a month here in Ohio... summer was not long enough... :'( :'( :'( :'(

I wanna ride in the morn, and I love riding in 50* temps, but it ain't gonna last.... :mad:

I ended up buying a pair of battery powered gauntlets. I was worried they wouldnt have the power, but the review on Revzilla were pretty good. We'll see once it gets cold.

Amdonim said:
I ended up buying a pair of battery powered gauntlets. I was worried they wouldnt have the power, but the review on Revzilla were pretty good. We'll see once it gets cold.

Please post up as to how they work out, when you get a chance. 

AmphibSailor said:
... I just ordered a set of silk liners for when it's not cold enough for the electric  stuff.  Also have the warm and safe electric liners on order.... :motonoises: ....

When I get my liners (electric and the silk ones), I'll do likewise.  :beerchug: