• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

wiring up coo case to tail light on 2011 c-14

srkeet

Big Wheel
??? Hey Coggers,
I'm new to this forum and already see what a great asset y'all have in Fred H!  He helped us immeasurably on the Goldwing  site!
I just installed a Coo case 50 with a tail light wiring loom.  I saw that Squid had a nice article last year(?) on installing the very same model.  Squid hooked up only the blue wire coming out of the tail light.  There are THREE wires coming out of said light. Coocase's instuctions say to hook up TWO wires when there three going to the taillight.  Did Squid only get the case's brakelight function, or did he get the running light function?
I don't know a Canbus from a Greyhound, but it seems one would have to tie in the 2 nonground wires from the taillight to the Coo's wiring to get running/brake light function. What say y'all?
My C-14 is a 2011 black beauty, more than enough for an old, ex Goldwinger!
Thank you!
Sr. Keet

Did you get the adapter to join the light signals from the bike?

going into the tail light on the bike are two wires, pink and orange, if I remember.  My coocase came with a joiner that has a resister in it, so those two wires from the bike become one wire going into the coocase.  The other two wires on mine are for the remote release.  Those two are wired direct to the battery and neutral post with a fuse.

Hope this helps.

When I bought my Coocase, the included wiring did not support both tail and brake lights.  Later, they started including a 4 wire pigtail, that uses a resistor inline to connect to switched power for the tail light, and a second wire that bypasses the resistor for connecting to the brake light wire. 

I didn't like their solution, as this would allow it to back feed power to the brake light circuit through the resistor.  They should have put a diode in the circuit as well.  I don't have tail lights connected on my Coocase, but may still connect them some day.  If I do, I will add the diode.

As for your question, if I understand it correctly, the C14 does not use CANBUS.  The 3 wires are tail light power, brake light power, and ground.

You can connect the Coocase lead with the lump and black shrink wrap to the tail light wire (red w/ blue stripe, just red after the connector), and the other to the brake light wire (blue w/ red stripe, just blue after the connector).  Ground is black w/ yellow stripe (all colors are from 2010, but should be the same on the 2011).

I connected the power wire to one of the fuse box wires.  I did all of this over a year ago, and don't remember the wire colors or connection points, but it wasn't difficult.  Everything was under the seat, so easy access.

If you have a more specific question about a given connection point, post it, and I will try to find an answer for you.

Thanks, guys.  With the Canbus thing out of the way, my wiring-challenged self will get in there and tie in Coo's 4-way pigtail to the running and brake lights of the Conquer. These Posi-taps look like a great way to go.
Beware of methed-up morons texting!

sr keet