• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Wrecked yesterday

pbfoot

Crotch Rocket
Wrecked the C10 yesterday. Rear ended a Vmax going about 30. Went over handlebars and through the windshield.  4 broken ribs, clavicle broken in 3 places. Other rider uninjured. 

Very sorry to hear you wrecked your bike and got hurt in the process.  :banghead:
Hope you heal well and quickly.

Can you tell us more about the accident.

Were you going the 30 or was the Vmax only going 30?
Did they cut you off?  etc.

It might help someone else to avoid what you went through.

I was in an unfamiliar neighborhood following the Vmax rider to his house. I thought our turn was further away but apparently not. He braked hard and turned right. Since we were riding staggered with him in the front left, he turned into my path and I hit him in the side of the rear wheel. I obviously was following too close. First major wreck on a bike in 40 years.

OUCH! DENNIS!

So sorry to hear this.  That wing is gonna hurt for a while... the ribs probably too, but they'll seem better first I'm betting.  I've been the guy hit from behind before, glad that fellow is OK but sorry you're injured. Come to the Wildflower next month and I'll prepare medicinal concoctions for you (Margaritas).  Sorry your summer is starting out on the wrong foot.  If we can help, let us know what you need/want.  :'(

We're almost to the 4th anniversary of my last mishap.  I pray your healing is fast and complete and as painless as is possible.

Thanks for all the kind replies. Doc just said he was going to discharge me. Clavicle will heal on its own with no surgery.

:sorry:
Glad to hear you're doing OK.  Bones will mend and bikes can be repaired/replaced.

Pbfoot said:
I was in an unfamiliar neighborhood following the Vmax rider to his house. I thought our turn was further away but apparently not. He braked hard and turned right. Since we were riding staggered with him in the front left, he turned into my path and I hit him in the side of the rear wheel. I obviously was following too close. First major wreck on a bike in 40 years.

Sorry to hear that!  Heal up quick!  Sounds nearly identical to my accident in 2012 - I also broke my collar bone.  Now I follow further behind - and make sure the leader understands no sudden stops and turns.  Safer to just go by and turn around to come back.

Pbfoot said:

Thanks for explaining.  First wreck in 40 years and probably never happen again but..............

One reason I use an intercom and prefer to ride with someone that has one if possible is so turns and stops can be verbally
communicated.  That has worked out pretty good for me.  Many less surprises when someone says "we are going to turn at the next street" etc.

I know not everyone has an intercom - but hopefully they will become even more common when people see that they might prevent an accident like this.

If the Vmax rider knew where he as going and knew you didn't know the area - I Believe that this accident might not have happened if intercoms were used.
I know you can't change the past - but some may now see the possible value of using an intercom when riding with others.  JMO.

Thanks again everyone. Lesson learned. Connie is going to need a fairing and a fender. Doc says no riding for 10 weeks. :-(

Pbfoot said:
Since we were riding staggered with him in the front left, he turned into my path and I hit him in the side of the rear wheel. I obviously was following too close.

Thanks for sharing the story, it seems the other rider shares responsibility for the accident.

Hope you heal up quickly and get back to riding!

Thud300 said:
Pbfoot said:
Since we were riding staggered with him in the front left, he turned into my path and I hit him in the side of the rear wheel. I obviously was following too close.

Thanks for sharing the story, it seems the other rider shares responsibility for the accident.

Hope you heal up quickly and get back to riding!
  I agree that we were both responsible.

SilverConnieRider said:
Pbfoot said:

Thanks for explaining.  First wreck in 40 years and probably never happen again but..............

One reason I use an intercom and prefer to ride with someone that has one if possible is so turns and stops can be verbally
communicated.  That has worked out pretty good for me.  Many less surprises when someone says "we are going to turn at the next street" etc.

I know not everyone has an intercom - but hopefully they will become even more common when people see that they might prevent an accident like this.

If the Vmax rider knew where he as going and knew you didn't know the area - I Believe that this accident might not have happened if intercoms were used.
I know you can't change the past - but some may now see the possible value of using an intercom when riding with others.  JMO.

And if no intercom....a turn signal is usually pretty effective .

Bummer and hope you heal quickly and the bike?
Really, a rider leading another into a new area needs to be more cautious.
We all make mistakes regardless of experience.

Sorry to hear it.  Hope for a quick recovery.

But hey, on a positive note, just the fact that the VERY NEXT DAY you are able to function somewhat normally....

Guardian angel was looking over your shoulder my friend.

Time to rebuild.  :great:

Graphicjunkie said:
Sorry to hear it.  Hope for a quick recovery.

But hey, on a positive note, just the fact that the VERY NEXT DAY you are able to function somewhat normally....

Guardian angel was looking over your shoulder my friend.

Time to rebuild.  :great:
Absolutely

Sorry for your crash. Hope your breathing returns to normal sooner rather than later. There can be no laughter in your life until the ribs heal so hope the recovery is swift and complete

Just saw your post Sorry to see it.When we look back(20/20 hindsight) as it plays through our mind in slowmo we seem to see it clearer but at any speed it still comes down to IT SUCKS! for Connie and you.Get well soon Brother and get back in the wind my prayers are with you.

Roger

Sorry to hear of your mishap. Yeah sounds like he wasn't sure of the area either, braking hard (no signal or not early enough for you to react). He should of aborted the turn. Well hindsight is 20/20. That is a bummer. Thanks for sharing, maybe raise our preception to avoid similar collision.
Glad you aren't hurt worse. Heal up fast.

My condolences.  As you said, sounds like there was blame to go around.  How did your riding companion make out?  Hopefully you guys are still on good terms. 

Heal quick. 

Hi,
        Thanks for sharing!

Sorry about the wreck! :(

I am actually more aware of other motorcycles than Cagers! :-[

Go figure!  ;D

Attachments

• tumblr_nxniewxX0O1ttclcyo1_500.jpg
    tumblr_nxniewxX0O1ttclcyo1_500.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 137
Now that I have had a few days to think about it, this was 100% my fault. Should have been farther behind and going slower.  Over confidence finally got the best of me. I know my reaction time is getting slower as I age and should ride accordingly.

Sorry to read, praying for a speedy recovery for ya! Your bike can be replaced, no rush on that but take your time for yourself both physically and mentally! Definitely a learning experience even for me.

Pbfoot said:
Now that I have had a few days to think about it, this was 100% my fault. Should have been farther behind and going slower.  Over confidence finally got the best of me. I know my reaction time is getting slower as I age and should ride accordingly.

It takes a big man to admit he was wrong!  (just don't repeat it to anyone else ok!  :-\  )  :-[

Takes a strong person to take responsibility - the kind of person who might heal quickly. 

Hope to hear that you're feeling better real soon.

Went back to work today. Still very sore. Can't lay down since my ribs are broken on my back, so I have to sleep sitting up. Collarbone not bothering me much. Thanks for all of the encouragement!

Pbfoot said:

Sorry to hear about your wreck.  Kudos to you for accepting responsibility for your actions, (or lack there-of).  :great:

I am one of those people that hates being wrong but sometimes, (rarely, haha), it happens. If I rear-end someone it is ALWAYS my fault. More distance = more time to react. If you couldn't avoid it then you were too close, PERIOD.

Heal up fast so you don't miss all the good riding! 

Matt

Another wish for a comfortable recovery. A couple of tips:

1) Avoid sneezing at all costs.
2) Slap someone (with your good arm) if they start telling you a joke so you won't start laughing (hurts as much as a sneeze).

You will thank me later.

Dan

Bigfoot_16 said:
Dan,

It sounds like you've been there and have done that. Ouch.

Unusually hard parachute landing fall cracked a few ribs. Doctor couldn't do a thing, he just said take it easy. I learned the "tips" the hard way.

Dan

I don't like reading these wreck post, but I know how that ,third daybi ever owned a motorcycle I was ran off the road,wasn't injured much more then my pride and scratched knuckles,but I have experianced broken ribs and that is the worse pain.

Bergmen said:
Another wish for a comfortable recovery. A couple of tips:

1) Avoid sneezing at all costs.
2) Slap someone (with your good arm) if they start telling you a joke so you won't start laughing (hurts as much as a sneeze).

You will thank me later.

Dan
  I was told to hug a pillow tightly if I have toi sneeze or cough. Works well. As far as laughing... well lets  just say the comedy gene runs strong in my family.  Everyone seems to be going out of their way to make me laugh.

This was a very unfortunate incident.  There are 2 views to why this happened, and I could argue a case for both, but in the end, it should be filed under the 'shit happens' drawer.

Thing is, Dennis is an excellent rider and one I trust implicitly, and so is the other rider involved.  The Vmax was damaged on both sides and all of it cosmetic, and by cosmetic, I mean that all the damage could be unbolted and replaced.  The cost of repairs to the bike was 12 grand, which is like a kick to my gut because it reaffirms the idea that you simply cannot lay a modern bike down.  The cost of even a low speed minor accident like this, from an insurance stand point, pretty much trashes the bikes involved.  It is the end of their life, and that is scary because shit is always going to happen, and if it happened to Dennis, it can surely happen to me and the rest of you.

The was a really sobering event for me because under normal circumstances, I would have been the one following the vmax and Dennis probably would have been on my back tire.  But, as fate would have it, I missed this one.  Seems I live a charmed life, given the incredible amount of time I sit in that saddle, when it comes to accidents and this makes me nervous - like, the more miles I add to the odometer, the more my chances increase on wrecking my bike.  Almost like I am overdue, as it is.

I brought Dennis's bike to him and I can tell you this much - had he not gone through the windshield, the damage to his bike would have been minor, but as it is, the whole top fairing assembly was trashed in a way I have never seen before.  Who the hell flies through a fairing?

Sheez, I am so glad I missed that.

I am so sorry, Dennis, that happened.

It is really big of you to take the blame, but I don't feel it was entirely your fault.  I do feel, however, we need to establish some rules and protocols for riding in the future.  As it is, we simply jump on these inherently dangerous machines and just go, and maybe that is not the best way to do it.

I agree that inter bike communications would be a big step in preventing something like this.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Feel better bro.  Been there done that.  But to this day I have no idea how I made it through my worst get off without any thing breaking.  Had a textbook left Turner cut me off back in 2001.  Luckily we had secured from warp speed due to lots of activity on the lakeside road we were on.  Tried to turn behind him but hit the double yellow and lost the front end (probably should have letoff the brake).  Bike center punched the car and somehow I missed (my buddy Scott swears I went over the trunk all I know I started tumbling then landed on my back and started sliding.....stiches slide real good!).  Bike totalled and I got off with bruises and a right calf that looked like Popeye's forearm.  Man I miss my VFR... :'(

Terry,
I did mine (most recent of many that is) 3 years and 355 days ago today.  I know how that yeller stripe is when on the binders hard.  I went from skidding to stoppy-ing over by crossing the stripe.  I'm as good as I'm ever going to get from that one.  But time is making the memory less painful. LOL

Dennis,
Glad you're doing as well as you are.  Yeah those ribs are gonna hurt fer a while.  Stuff happens fast, but heals a lot slower.  Hang in there bro.

Thanks again for all of the good wishes. Here it is the fourth week after the accident already. Only managed to work 6 hours on the 16th. Tried again the following week and decided I would heal quicker by staying home. Plan on returning to work next week. Still in a lot of pain and still can't lay down yet so sleep is hard to come by. I am at least getting a little exercise by walking the dog. Bike is dismantled and awaiting arrival of parts. Ride on, everyone.

You suffered a debilitating injury, no pill can can instantly heal you. Glad you are making progress. Will a recliner act as a place to sleep? Work will be a significant milestone to achieve. Never thought I'd say that.....

Diz said:
You suffered a debilitating injury, no pill can can instantly heal you. Glad you are making progress. Will a recliner act as a place to sleep? Work will be a significant milestone to achieve. Never thought I'd say that.....
Recliner is comfortable for 45 minutes. Presses on my rib cage and makes  everything hurt. Was able to lay on my right side for several hours last night. I am getting there.

Diz said:
Any update? Been able to listen to jokes yet?
Doing well. Been back to work building 3D printers for 3 weeks. Collarbone knitting well, ribs not too sore. For an OG (53), I feel blessed. Worked on the bike last weekend. Got the 93ZX6D front fender on, parts swapped to new/used fairing. Tomorrow I will put it all back together and go for test ride. I figure with the bike being 3 different colors everyone will give me a wide berth and the likelyhood of a repeat performance will be lowered. ;D. Thanks for the prayers and well wishes. Glad to be a member of COG and look forward to many more years here. Take care and ride on.

Pbfoot said:
Diz said:
Any update? Been able to listen to jokes yet?
Doing well. Been back to work building 3D printers for 3 weeks. Collarbone knitting well, ribs not too sore. For an OG (53), I feel blessed. Worked on the bike last weekend. Got the 93ZX6D front fender on, parts swapped to new/used fairing. Tomorrow I will put it all back together and go for test ride. I figure with the bike being 3 different colors everyone will give me a wide berth and the likelyhood of a repeat performance will be lowered. ;D. Thanks for the prayers and well wishes. Glad to be a member of COG and look forward to many more years here. Take care and ride on.

Glad to read you are doing better, can't believe I miss going to work,but today not feeling much pain and maybe a healing miracle has occurred, or that Norco is working better ,actually been internet bike shopping

Glad to read you are doing better, can't believe I miss going to work,but today not feeling much pain and maybe a healing miracle has occurred, or that Norco is working better ,actually been internet bike shopping
[/quote]  Did you crash? What happened?

Pbfoot said:
  Did you crash? What happened?
[/quote]yep last saturday, rear ended while stopped at redlight.

FTB530 said:
Pbfoot said:
  Did you crash? What happened?
yep last saturday, rear ended while stopped at redlight.
[/quote] Crikey! Tis the season. Hope you feel better soon!