• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Wyoming Rides

jdcjdcjd

Bicycle
I am opening this topic in hopes that we can all get some new ideas for rides in Wyoming.  Two of my all time favorite rides are in Wyoming.  One is the Chief Joseph Highway between Red Lodge and Cody.  I rode this two summers ago and the road was in pristine condition; miles and miles of high speed sweepers as well as some 20mph peg scrapers.  And spectacular scenery also.  The other is Highways 487 and 77 south of Casper.  What is so cool about these highways is there is very little traffic (not a typical tourist route) and there is miles and miles of arrow straight sections that will allow you to go as fast as you dare!  Lots of antelope herds are out there also. The country side can only be described as desolate (think Fort Sedgwick in Dances with Wolves) , but it's a very peaceful drive and beautiful in its own way.
Again, I  hope we can get some replies with more ideas for rides.

I see like 4 members in Wy. and no two of those are closer then 60 miles from one another.  Check your directory though and maybe contact them through that.  Not everyone uses the forums.  We are still working on my map so it could be wrong on the numbers.

A few years ago I rode from my home in western Nebraska to western Montana.  Most of the trip was through Wyoming and I enjoyed every bit of it.  The topography varied greatly from one end of the state to the other.  On some roads like Highway 26 from Torrington to Shoshoni (with the exception of the interstate) were sparsely populated and it was not uncommon to see no one in front or in back of you.  Unless I'm having mechanical trouble... I like that.

One section of road that stands out was Hwy 20 between Shoshoni and Thermopolis.  Some of that road parallels a river and a railroad track (on the other side of the river).  It was very picturesque and memorable.

I also enjoy the roads up around Devils Tower.  It's probably not the roads as much as seeing that monolith appear on the horizon.  One note: avoid near or during Sturgis.

WY AAD Keith put on a road ride Oregon Trail ride a few years ago.
Keith worked for the BLM in the 80's to identify and log the remaining parts of the trail. We walked into an area (leased public grazing land) a few hundred feet from the road to view wheel tracks in the sandstone.
Casper has a fine trail museum , National Historic Trails Interpretive Center, as it was near where the trail separated into 5 major trails. Oregon, Bozemon, Mormon, Calif, Pony Express.
The paved hwys cross the trail at several places.
I enjoyed it a lot.
Some drive by and just see a lot of dry high elevation desert.

I'll start posting any rides we organize here in Colorado on this Forum, too.  I've tended to use concours.org because it's been the default info-place for COG in Colorado and I just never got into this one that much.

I have been the Colorado AAD, but am now involved more heavily in trying to get NTOC going.  (NT-Owners Club, to go with my current ride, a 2010 Honda NT700VA)

We had a Wyoming ride just a month ago.  Three of us from Colorado met Harry Martin in Wheatland and then rode WY-34 up Sybille Canyon to Bosler Junction and into Laramie for lunch.  Then Harry went back through Medicine Bow and the Shirley Basin, while Rick Hall, Steve Cook and I came home on US-287 to Ft Collins and our various  home-places.

Attachments

• Phil-downs-Rick-and-Steve.jpg
    Phil-downs-Rick-and-Steve.jpg
    596.1 KB · Views: 99
Photo album of the 2005 Oregon Trail ride hosted by Keith Collins.
http://good-times.webshots.com/album/565548218OSmGLO

Good rides in north central Wyoming
    Hwy 16 between Buffalo and Worland...Ten Sleep Canyon and good mix of scenery , arid in the lower elevations, mountain running and canyons added in.

Hwy 14 and 14A between Ranchester and Cody...good day ride makes a circle route...14A is northern route passes thru Powell and the Bighorn mountains...at Cody turn back east on 14 back to Sheridan, 14 runs thru Shell Canyon, lots of twisties !

While you are in the area, you have to run up to Red Lodge MT and run the 212 Beartooh Pass into Silver Gate MT just outside of Yellowstone. Probably one of the best rides in the country !

Fireman:  thanks for the info.  If I had to ride one loop for the rest of my riding life, it would be from Cody up to Belfry MT and over to Red Lodge.  Then over Beartooth pass down to Highway 296 (Chief Joseph Highway) and back to Cody.  Spectacular!  Hope to take that loop this summer!