• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Wyoming - Snowy Range "loop"

2003wyomech

Big Wheel
If you are in Northern Colorado or SE Wyoming, try this loop for some wide vistas and good curves. From I-80, take the WY Highway 130/230 exit and head west from Laramie, Wyoming. Follow the signs for WY #130 to Centennial, which will take you thru high plains until you're almost to the small town of Centennial. There are "watering holes," restaurant, and small general store there if you are thirsty, hungry, or, say, forgot the bug spray (as I did one trip...and you'll need the skeeter spray..lol). The ride thru the national forest is beautiful and entertaining for a bike that enjoys the twisties. (See the attached photos.) After descending from the summit, you can either head right to Saratoga (western atmosphere, good food, LOTS of 'watering holes"...lol) or turn left to the small towns of Encampment/Riverside (two separate towns, but only 1 mile apart...??...go figure!). From there, you can take WY 230, which heads down to Colorado and turns into CO 127, and then loops back north to Woods Landing, WY. From there, it's a nice ride back to Laramie.

There's a very nice campground in Encampment, the Lazy Acres Campground, www.lazyacreswyo.com. Tent sites, about 6 simple motel rooms, and RV sites. Very nice restrooms, showers, and laundry, right next to the river.

Attachments

• Riverside Run.jpg
    Riverside Run.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 97
  • Break Time on Snowy Range.jpg
    Break Time on Snowy Range.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 88
I kick myself for not having a bike while we lived in Saratoga. 
Another good option would be to turn right at Encampment on 70? going over the Continental divide and down to Baggs.  From there North to I80 or South to US40 in Colorado.
The drive over Snowy Range is absolutely great, but have very good breaks. 
What ever you do, do pass up Centnial and the great "Bull Fries" at the Corral Steak house there.
But, yes you will have to wait till summer because the highway is closed in winter.

Snowy Mtns 2007
Great ride, great roads, do it!  >:D
Edit to add other photos

Attachments

• Wyoming 2007 529.jpg
    Wyoming 2007 529.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 95
  • Wyoming 2007 646.jpg
    Wyoming 2007 646.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 74
  • Wyoming 2007 637.jpg
    Wyoming 2007 637.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 82
  • Wyoming 2007 504.jpg
    Wyoming 2007 504.jpg
    904.6 KB · Views: 81
OK...I'm convinced!  It's right next door...less than five hours...and I've never been there...and I really like the campground's camping rate per person if you arrive on two wheels!  ;)

I and another COGger rode through there on the way to Hill City in '06 for the national, went through just after opening from winter closing. There was a lot more snow laying about, and it was a bit chilly. Stayed in a USF site on the east end. Ice in the morning.

Nice ride. Fabulous scenery. No traffic.