• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

zg1400 carbs same as the C10-1000

Dempster

Big Wheel
Hi, can anybody tell me if a set of C14 carbs will fit the ZG1000? I'm told they are but I need to know based on somebody who has checked or has part numbers available? My bike and manual ( a 1986 ZG1000 ) is hundreds of miles from where I am right now. Thanks for any assistance. Kris

Must be some confusion or a joke... The C14 does not have carbs it is fuel injected. -- Steve Smith, COG #3184 COG Northeast Area Director (somewhere in south central CT)
larryline.gif
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

I'm pretty sure it was a mistype. He meant ZG1400 as the topic heading states. Not that I know what a ZG1400 is exactly... Aging is scary when you start making the same noises as your coffee maker!

I think it's simply they meant ZG1000 A14 (1999) The answer is that the Carb rack on the ZG1000 from A1 to the last model in 2006 is the same and interchangeable throughout the years. Colin
2606714340100596652OGFlOW_th.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong but ZG1400=C14 and both were mentioned. ZG1400 in the subject line and C14 in the post. But I don't want to scare off the poster because I didn't know what an elephant looked like until I saw my first one. So maybe he hasn't seen a ZG1400/C14 yet. <wink>

Hi Mike Yes the ZG1400B8F is a C14 (49 Sate Spec) I guess its possible that he has not seen or read about the specs of it. Bottom line unless you're the likes of Bergman, SISF or RevRider you'll find it pretty hard to fit the C14 fuel system on a C10 LoL :p

I have to agree with you on the three gents you mention as they are special. But I believe those three gentlemen believe in the same as I. "I am only limited by what I limit myself to." e.g. There are no limits. This motto has got me through a lot of difficult situations in life..

Well, in my case I've never thought "im only limited to what I limit myself to". No, in my case I'm just to stupid to accept "ya can't do that". In fact, that's exactly how I did the 1109 block - I asked a fellow who is very knowledgeable in the zg / zx / zrx line of engines if I could put a zx11 cylinder block on a connie. "ya can't do that" was the response. HMMM,,,, Steve

I don't think the C10 will need fuel injection as long as SISF keeps sharing his carburetor knowledge. :) I have to admit this is the first carbed bike in years that hasn't given me a fit because I've learned something new.. Although!! RevRider has rekindled my yearn to Megasquirt my KZ1000ST project.. But unlike him I know just enough to be dangerous. ;)

nope - no makey EFI-c10 for me. Chuck Kimball (rev rider) is on the home stretch of that right now. In my case, though I know oem automotive efi is very reliable, I personally wouldn't want to saddle my bike with aftermarket electronics. The fact is that aftermarket stuff just doesn't have the lifespan oem stuff has. The way my bike is now, the fuel system messes up, I can virtually fix it on the side of the road. Add electronics, and you lose that ability. Sorry, aftermarket electronics just aren't for me. steve

Sorry, aftermarket electronics just aren't for me
This translates to "I'm too much of a woosie" and if I can't fix it with a hammer it can't be fixed. :) Just jokin' Steve. Steve and I spend sometime talking about Injection at the Nation and agreed the candle ain't worth the flame, unless your Rev Rider with too much time and energy on your hands and an inquisitive mind.

Unless you're a blithering idiot like Rev Rider who doesn't have the good sense to know when too much is too much. LOL Actually, the EFI Connie is a reality. It has started and run for about 10 minutes so far before a 3 cent resistor fried and shut down the opto-isolator circuit. I'll be back up and re-experimenting next week to fix that glitch and should be riding it within a few weeks. There are some other little items to iron out like throttle cables and cruise control connections. We're almost to breeze into the 21st century though. But it hasn't been a cheap experiment so far. ;p

My personal accountant will agree with you on EXPENSIVE. LOL!! I get the sour eye when she sees me on the computer with credit card in hand.. LOL! But it's oh so much fun..

Yes Colin, you're right - in my case I'm to much of a woosie because I don't have any background in electronics to carry me through the day. Chuck seems to have that wrapped up, so along with his engine and fueling knowledge, he IS the guy for this job. Waytago, Chuck! Steve

Mike, I have my credit card numbers memorized for just such emergencies, that really helps a lot... that and the fact my wife lives 225 miles away 5 days a week. ;) And I ain't acceptin' that Steve is a woosie even if HE says so. He's just a bit more sensible about which fights to pick. LOL On the other hand, the only way I succeed is by getting in so deep I have to succeed to survive. Jumping in is the quickest way to learn how to swim.......... or drown. I'm dogpaddling fer all I'm worth and hopin' it's enough.

The Fuel Injected C10 is now alive and real in Texas with 438 EFI miles to her credit. And the ZG1400 Throttle Bodies at 44mm are too large to be practical for the ZG1000. I have tomorrow off and there is 70 degree weather expected... I suspect I'll get some mileage and tuning done tomorrow. I should have her wrapped up and presentable by the Wildflower Ride in April.

You're right it was a typo and I meant the ZG1000 Can't believe I didn't check back sooner, but I had already found the answer somewhere else.....Thanks guys.

Hey Way to go Rev Rider! I'm envious of your drive and determination! Good for you, so are we going to see you at the National with your beast?? Let me know when the kit hits the market and I'll put my order in LoL C.

Unless a miracle happens I won't be making the National this year. My bike has permission to go though. LOL I'm over 620 miles on it now and the tune is "close". Power is improved over what it was with the carbs (which I didn't really expect). With 10psi boost it now mildly power wheelies at 7k rpm from a gentle roll-on in second with a little lift on the 2-3 power shift. If you aren't hanging on tight and open it up in the first four gears, you might fall off. In second you WILL fall off unless you're holding on tight... real tight. In first you don't open the throttle that much and let it get into boost good... you just don't.

>With 10psi boost it now mildly power wheelies at 7k rpm from a gentle roll-on in second.... Who said there's no replacement for displacement? :eg:

Sorry it sounds like we won't be seeing you there Rev. Though given the miracle achievement of adding a turbo and fuel injection to a ZG1000 who knows what miracle powers you have! It will be a minor miracle for the CFO and I to get there, it's by far the longest trip either of us have attempted. CP

There really IS a substitute for cubes. :) And Colin, I don't have much power in the miracle working department, but I do believe they happen. I'd love to make the National, but really cannot forsee the possibility.