• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Zx-14 header diameter....

huero

Training Wheels
Does anyone know the header diameter for the zx-14 vs the councours. I have searched and found the size difference for the outlet. But, i cannot find the actual header(downtube) diameter.

Is the zx header bigger?

Thanks
Huero

I guess really what i am wondering is if the performance gains come from bigger tubes. Or, if the gains come from no cat's in the header.

Thanks again.

Any of you guys with a zx-14 headers have a set if mic's and could measure the diameter?

Thanks

You have to talk about year ranges of ZX14. Pre-2008, they had one tube diameter. 2008+ they had a slightly bigger diameter, possibly to make up for sticking a cat in the collector starting in 2008.

I will say this, when I put a Brock's Performance dual exhaust on, which doesn't have a cat in the collector, the bike's horsepower took a noticeable increase. Of course, it flowed so much better I HAD to hang a piggy on it. Nobody was flashing new maps to ECUs of ZX14s in 2008, at least that I knew about.

So you probably want to stick to finding a 2006 or 2007 exhaust system, which may not be easy to do. But eBay is a likely suspect.

I have an aftermarket ZX14 single exhaust on my 2008.

I can check it if thats what you are asking about,

Not sure if stock is what you are after.

Hey thanks fellas.
I was under the impression that the difference in between the 06/07 header and the 08 and up was just the diameter of the outlet. I just wanted to know if i should save all my pennys to get a full exhaust. Or, if i should by the zx header and and after market slip-on.

Arata, which exhaust do you have? I would love to kniw the diameter. I think this could also help me make up my mind on this.

Thanks again guys,
Huero

I bought a used Orient Express/Sato Ti system cheap on eBay.

It took some work because it was a high mount pipe.

Others here have done the same thing with ZX14 systems and had an easier time than I did.

There are screaming deals to be had on ZX14 pipes.

I haven't measured the pipe diameter, but I had an Area P system at the same time, and the head pipes were visibly larger.

I'll try and find my calipers and get you a diameter measurement.

Arata, Thanks a bunch!

A fella over at bikeland measured his stock zx-14 headers at 44mm. I just measured the stock c-14 header at 34mm. Seems like a considerable difference to me. I would like a more free flowing header but imdont want to sacrifice all the low end either.

Thanks,
Huero

I just measured my Muzzy header (made for a ZX-14) and it was 42.6 mm.  This was taken down low where the pipes start to bend just underneath the radiator.

I have to assume you are talking about the outlets from the collector.

OD for the 2006-2007 outlets (without a cat in the header) is roughly 50mm.  Newer headers (with a cat in the collector) are 54mm.

The issue most will find will be in adding slip-on mid-pipes and mufflers- unless you take an 06-07 header to an exhaust shop to expand the diameter of the outlets, most aftermarket systems won't fit up properly.

/r

Allen

Just measured a set of ZX14 headers that were delivered 30 minutes ago.

42mm at the tip of the header where it bolts up to the engine
38mm for the pipe below this
51mm at the other end where it will connect to the midpipe

Now I'm a little confused as to what year these are from.  I was told 2006, but the headers have crossover pipes that only appear in only fiche part directories from 2008 onwards. Mine looks exactly like the 2008 model pictured.

Attachments

• fiche-header.jpg
    fiche-header.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 114
Glennn,
I believe  they all have the crossovers. It the addition of the catalytic converters on 2008 and up. If you look in the outlets and there are no cats then is and 06' or 07'.

Thanks for measuring,
Huero

I went with the Muzzy full system.  Pricey, yes ...but, a very nice hookup.

If I were going with the ZX14 header, I would not worry much about the cats in the tubes.  I believe there are 2.  I do have a brand new set, but have not looked at it in a bit of time.  Anyway ... I was going to hook up the ZX-14 header and then have aftermarket cans connected.  ZX-14 cans are cheap, but look like crap.  Way too big and chromey deals.  Heavy, too.

Using ZX-14 header and some aftermarket cans like Area P, Muzzy, or Hole Shot is a good way to go.  Less money, too.  I'd have the ECU re-Flashed and have the center stand modified. 

There are several threads with photos showing the ZX-14 mod.  Check 'em out. 

Huero said:
It the addition of the catalytic converters on 2008 and up. If you look in the outlets and there are no cats then is and 06' or 07'.
Ahh ok, definitly no cats in these headers so should be what he told me then  :great: