• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

ZX14 front rim?

motor659

Bicycle
Well I was getting my girl all polished up and fluids changed for the new riding season when I noticed my front rim was bent! :-\. I didin't see it before I put the bike away last winter. The bend isn't that severe but I had been toying with the idea of replacing the rim since my run in with 'Rocky Raccoon' last spring. The raccoon ran into the front wheel when I was at speed and bend my rotor. I replaced the rotors but I now have a slight pulse up front. The factory rotors were already replaced once for being warped at about 7K miles......ANYWAY.....

I need to know if the front wheel from a ZX14 will fit onto our C-14. From the pictures they look identicle 8). I have found several for sale on ebay for around $200. A C14 rim for about $330. I know new it's going to run me around $600 for the C14. This was an unexpected expense so I'm trying to get a quick fix so I don't have to shelve the bike for a month of so. Thanks boys...

Motor

If you go to Ronayers.com, they show the front wheel for the C14 (all years) and the 2006-2008 ZX-14 as part #41073-0105-795.  The later model ZX-14 front wheels are black and have a slightly different part number.

The Pope is of course right. :)

Check the bearing numbers, the main number (left of the dash) should be the same.

I just had my front rim straightened after a nasty encounter with a pothole.  I checked on the price of a new C14 rim at the local stealer and he handed me a business card for a place that does rim repair.  He said he had no association with the company, Wheel Collision Center, in Bath, PA, 

www.wheelcollision.com

The company rep had stopped in at the dealer the week before.  I gave them a call and ended up taking the rim to them since they are only about 35 miles from me.  Two weeks and $206 later, I got my rim back, completely straightened.  I did not have them refinish the surface as it wasn't badly screwed up.  When I took the rim back to the shop for remounting the tire they could not believe how well it came out for as badly bent as it was.  They said the rim showed absolutely no sign of being out of round on the balance machine and it balanced up perfectly.  I can provide before and after pics if anyone is interested.

I wish you would provide those before and after pix, Bob.  I'll bet there are already a few people thinking about repairing that bent wheel sitting in the back of the garage.  Sounds like you had a great experience with these people.  I'm hoping you got to meet the young lady on the website!

Perhaps Cap'n Bob (not you, Bob) could put this into the Vendor Directory?  I've already got it bookmarked.

ChipDoc said:
I wish you would provide those before and after pix, Bob.  I'll bet there are already a few people thinking about repairing that bent wheel sitting in the back of the garage.  Sounds like you had a great experience with these people.  I'm hoping you got to meet the young lady on the website!

Perhaps Cap'n Bob (not you, Bob) could put this into the Vendor Directory?  I've already got it bookmarked.

I will post them up later tonight when I have access to my camera.  I am very satisfied with the end result.  As to the lady on the web site.  Unfortunately, NO.  Had she been at the location, I'd still be there! 

ChipDoc said:

I clicked on the link. Right off the bat I liked the home page.  :)  I'll add it to the directory.

Always trust the POPE!!  O:) ! Hahah! Thanks for the input guys. I would consider getting it straightened out had I not had my run in with the raccoon. It hit the front of my bike so hard that I think that it bent more than just the rotor upon impact, maby wallowed out the bolt holes a bit that still causes me issues..

Motor

For those of you up in my neck of the woods we have the Wheelmaster for your bent rims.  http://thewheelmaster.com/

I couldn't miss a softball sized rock on my Shadow one morning and bent the front rim pretty badly.  It was a chromed steel wheel and he straightened it so well that you couldn't tell it was ever bent.

Bob said:
ChipDoc said:

I will post them up later tonight when I have access to my camera.  I am very satisfied with the end result.  As to the lady on the web site.  Unfortunately, NO.  Had she been at the location, I'd still be there!

Here's a before and after picture.  Unfortunately, I did not get an after picture before I had the tire mounted.  I really didn't think about it until I went to reinstall the wheel.  However, this should give a good idea of the results.

Attachments

• bent.jpg
    bent.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 103
  • Fixed.jpg
    Fixed.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 97