• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Balancing the RIM internally

kzz1king

I have given some thought to balancing my rims on the inside. Maybe epoxy the weights
Than I would only have to balance for the tire at changes and use less weight. Maybe this is a bad idea or the rims would just come that way?

I have given some thought to balancing my rims on the inside. Maybe epoxy the weights
Than I would only have to balance for the tire at changes and use less weight. Maybe this is a bad idea or the rims would just come that way?
It could be this is not a new practice but I’ve never heard of this and would expect reason being is forces would fling the weights off then you got a very unbalanced tire, possibly even I safely so.

If you want to balance internal I have heard of balancing beads, it’s not voodoo but again have no personal experience with the practice other than conceptual reading.

Let us know if you go the route of balancing beads, I’ve heard of some trying them on the forum and they’ve been pleased.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

It could be this is not a new practice but I’ve never heard of this and would expect reason being is forces would fling the weights off then you got a very unbalanced tire, possibly even I safely so.

If you want to balance internal I have heard of balancing beads, it’s not voodoo but again have no personal experience with the practice other than conceptual reading.

Let us know if you go the route of balancing beads, I’ve heard of some trying them on the forum and they’ve been pleased.

Wayne, Carol & Blue
I am not doing beads. Flinging the weight off wouldn't be good.

Have a question but it's kinda hard to word the question. 😵
The groove in the center of the rim is where the tire bead sets when you pry the other side of the bead onto the rim.
That little bit of relief (from the groove) is what makes it possible to get the tire on.
If you epoxy the weights into that groove, wouldn't it make it harder to install a tire?

Ride safe, Ted

Have a question but it's kinda hard to word the question. 😵
The groove in the center of the rim is where the tire bead sets when you pry the other side of the bead onto the rim.
That little bit of relief (from the groove) is what makes it possible to get the tire on.
If you epoxy the weights into that groove, wouldn't it make it harder to install a tire?

Ride safe, Ted
I pick up what you be dropping 😄.

I've been changing motorcycle tires for 14 years now. The area of the wheel your refering to is called the "drop center". Typical wheel weights are only about 1/8" high, not nearly enough to create a problem for the bead of the tire being able to go into the drop center. Stay away from the balance beads. If your tire/wheel is out of balance 20-30 grams, how do you know how much beads to put in your tire? Also, if you ever get a puncture and have to put a plug in, it will interfere with the beads as they revolve around the inside. They also void your tire warranty.

The only article that I could find where a guy balanced his rims before hand was a racing team to see if the rims caused any problems.

His result was that the tire itself was the biggest cause of the imbalance and it made hardly any difference.

I would recommend that you first balance your rims with weights on the outside, and then balance the tire next. Take the rim weight off and then re-balance to see if there is much difference.

This way you could see for yourself if it is worth it before you epoxy anything onto the rim.

The only article that I could find where a guy balanced his rims before hand was a racing team to see if the rims caused any problems.

His result was that the tire itself was the biggest cause of the imbalance and it made hardly any difference.

I would recommend that you first balance your rims with weights on the outside, and then balance the tire next. Take the rim weight off and then re-balance to see if there is much difference.

This way you could see for yourself if it is worth it before you epoxy anything onto the rim.
I was actually thinking along those lines. Thought I would balance the bare rim and just tape them on mark the location and then see where the combo balances.