• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Battery not charging

Massy

Training Wheels
I just replaced my battery because it would hold a charge, but have no come to find that the new battery won't charge. Does anybody know what typically would fail to cause this? Is there an easy fix to it? I feel the charging is failing because I returned from 18 miles at 40 - 50 and when I pulled into the garage my low voltage light was on. I had the rpm up to 2k and it made no difference. It's a 2006 with 12k on it. For now I will put the Ctek charger on it when I return in th evening. I use the bike for commute to work 4 or 5 days a week. Joe - Jensen Beach, FL

It is simple enough to check if it is charging. Remove the Ctek, and attach a voltmeter directly to the battery. The start bike and measure voltage at idle, and at higher revs. Just for completeness, measure battery voltage with bike off. Report your findings... Battery voltage with no load (bike off) should be approx 12V. When running (higher rev) the voltage at the battery should be approx 13.8V. If the voltage at the battery is the same running or not, then there is a charging system failure. Bad alternator, regulator, or wiring problem are possible culprits. Not sure if there is a fuse or if the J-Box comes into play without checking the manual... maybe someone else here can chime in. Good luck

Battery connections is the biggest culprit here. Loose that is. Make sure your connections are tight. Especially if you have recently changed batteries. Also of note: An engine should run (once started) even if the battery is disconnected. The bike will run purely off the generator. Now that is assuming that the charging system is intact, operational. IF it is not the bike will INSTANTLY die once the battery is disconnected.

The Clymer and Kawasaki workshop manuals give good instructions on checking the Alternator including the coils and diodes. Harbor Freight sell cheap meters for $4.50 a good buy for toolbox.

How many volts should the alternator put out when running? My battery(new) won't charge. 2002 1000 concour. Baffled. Just bought new gen. Still no charge. Help!! I want to ride!!

How many volts should the alternator put out when running? My battery(new) won't charge. 2002 1000 concour. Baffled. Just bought new gen. Still no charge. Help!! I want to ride!!

When the motor is running, you should get about 13.5 volts measured at the battery

As always, make sure the cables / battery post are cleaned and the connections are tight

You can do a pretty thorough investigation of this problem with a volt meter and the instructions in the service manual

Clean the connection coming from the alternator. They can corrode and cause issues.

Another "newbie" question. I bought a used generator for this 2002 Connie. Installed and running, no voltage. Taking the cover plate off, how would I test the generator to see if it's the whole generator gone out or just the regulatior?