• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Best Wife Ever! Rabaconda Surprise

rlievenski4555

My wife completely surprised and delighted me by gifting a Rabaconda tire changer for my birthday on Saturday. She has been listening and watching me struggle with tire irons and C-clamps the last couple years. Now I can pull my work Pilot 4GTs and add the Dunlop Roadsmart set many have suggested. Can’t think of anything better to do on a sloppy, wet morning of Michigan snow out there. Can’t wait to try it!

Rob

I removed my worn rear tire yesterday and it was a breeze (thanks to the tips from Fred’s video). The portability came in handy as I just set her up in my home office so I had something to do during a boring all-day set of business review meetings.

It so much better than wrestling with C-clamps and tire irons on the garage floor.

I removed my worn rear tire yesterday and it was a breeze (thanks to the tips from Fred’s video). The portability came in handy as I just set her up in my home office so I had something to do during a boring all-day set of business review meetings.

It so much better than wrestling with C-clamps and tire irons on the garage floor.
Did you prep (warm) the tire at all?

I like the looks of this tool. Edit: Also like the idea of changing a tire in-between meetings in my office space!!!

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Did you prep (warm) the tire at all?

I like the looks of this tool. Edit: Also like the idea of changing a tire in-between meetings in my office space!!!

Wayne, Carol & Blue
I typically put the tire in front of my gas fireplace to get it warm. This time, I tried with a room temperature tire to test how it would go and was impressed. I will warm up the new Dunlops (thanks for the recommendation bye the way) when I put them on the rims.

There is definitely a technique to master with the tools and Fred’s advice is very helpful. I lubricated the second bead too much and had trouble with it walking down the rim while trying to get it off. Using the plastic covered tire iron within the initial gap (with a second one starting the bead) solved the problem. I will definitely use a bead holding tool while putting new tire on the rim.

Rob

I've found the Harbor Freight clamps work great as a bead holding tool. $2.99. The plastic over the tips eventually wears, but I just put duct tape on to keep from scratching my rims.

1705190847255.png

Chris