• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Commuter boot

Whistler

2019 1400GTR
I need to get new boots. I commute year-round 40 miles one-way. Of course, the boots I have, Bates, are no longer made. Any ideas?

I need to get new boots. I commute year-round 40 miles one-way. Of course, the boots I have, Bates, are no longer made. Any ideas?

I was going to recommend a TCX (formerly Oxtar) model (7100 W I) that I used for my daily commute and long distance riding/touring; can't remember the actual model name. Very comfortable once off the bike for walking. I usually changed mine out for some Dr. Scholl's light weight sneakers once at work, then the boots went back on for the trip home. I occasionally got lazy and just left them on all day; they were that comfortable. The pair I have now I purchased around 2010, and they're still holding up well. No telling how many miles (and footsteps) they have on them.

Unfortunately, I don't see that model listed any longer. So other than recommending a name, not too much help. I also have a pair of Oxtar dual sports boots purchase in 2003, and they've also served me well. Because of that, I would not hesitate to recommend anything thing made by TCX. Very well made and decently priced.

IMG_7770-L.jpg

IMG_7771-L.jpg

I just bought some BMW Comfort Boots. My price after a discount code of PREBF23 was $187. No sales tax. No shipping. I would expect to pay a lot more for a Gore-Tex waterproof boot than that.

1700934081626.png

The outside looks great. The feel when I first put my foot in was wonderful. Walking in them was another matter. These boots do need breaking in.

FWIW, the sole is fairly thick. For me with a short inseam, that was a benefit.

Chris

Thanks Guy and Daboo for the feedback. Last night, I ordered a pair of Tour Master Solution 3.0 WP boots. And, this morning, based on Guy's response, I ordered a pair of TCX X-Five.4 GTX Boots (they were 25% off). Let's see which I like better.

Waterproof.

That was something I forgot to mention, and was one of the must-have requirements for my TCX when I wore out my original Oxtars - which were also waterproof.

IMG_1760-L.jpg

Waterproof and great right out of the box for walking. Fits like a boot/ankle protection/walks like a sneaker. Good with jeans I would have liked these over the TCX boots I wore when the idjut pulled out in front of me. Not sure if the 5 plates and 30+ screws might have been lessened but I like my chances

Thank you for the interest and feedback.

I received and tried on both the Tour Master Solution 3.0 WP and TCX X-Five.4 GTX boots. Both felt bulky to me because of the inner leg boot velcro closure. The Tour Master fit me better of the two. Sent them back to RevZilla. I looked at boots at the local Cycle Gear and came across SIDI boots. They didn't have the one I liked in my size (did try on a larger size) and I found a pair of SIDI Gavia (Gore-Tex) at ChromeBurner and ordered a pair - great fit - just what I wanted.

Happy New Year!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0762.jpeg
    IMG_0762.jpeg
    120 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0763.jpeg
    IMG_0763.jpeg
    120 KB · Views: 23
I wanna bump this, but for a different reason.

I currently have a pair of Danner boots that have been excellent. Obviously not motorcycle boots, but they work well. Can anyone recommend a regular boot that can be used as a motorcycle boot? Or a motorcycle boot that can be walked in for LONG distances? As in hiking? Or am I after a unicorn?

-Z

I am now in the same boat - have to bring along walking boot when I walk more than from the parking lot to the store and back.

There seem to be a few low boots that may do the trick:

Icon Patrol 3 WP CE Boots​

Item: P1031858

Black

I found this company, and I'm thinking I'll spend the money and time to have them make some boots for me.

Specifically, I wanna get this boot and then see if I can get them modified to add some reinforcement where the shifter would hit the boot....

And even at those prices (around $250), that's not bad for a pair of boots that will last 10+ years....

-Z

Not for me...shoelaces on the bike scare me. I had one incident while wearing lace-up boots, when the lace got momentarily snagged on the footpeg. Had the lace caught more, I would have dropped the bike on my leg.
I've used the Cycle Gear boot with the two zippers for a number of years (on my 2nd pair).
I use decent sole inserts and can walk on them comfortably. Not sure I'd want to go hiking in them (OK, pretty sure I would not), but for casual walking when I get off the bike, they're fine.

Not for me...shoelaces on the bike scare me. I had one incident while wearing lace-up boots, when the lace got momentarily snagged on the footpeg. Had the lace caught more, I would have dropped the bike on my leg.
I've used the Cycle Gear boot with the two zippers for a number of years (on my 2nd pair).
I use decent sole inserts and can walk on them comfortably. Not sure I'd want to go hiking in them (OK, pretty sure I would not), but for casual walking when I get off the bike, they're fine.
I have had a couple of scary moments with shoe laces that got caught on the shift lever. I'll pass on any riding boots with laces. I want more ankle protection as well.