• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

DIY Windscreen

croach1776

Tonto
I have a rifle base but need the windshield. They are 95$ from Rifle. I am thinking about trying to
make my own. I hear Lexan is the best material. If anyone has information on how to cut to shape, bend it, drill it and proper thickness, would be much appreciated.

Both Lowes and Home D stock .093 and .125  Lexan, Its about 25 bucks for a chunk big enough to make a new windshield.Dont buy the cheap Plexiglass it cracks and does'nt take drilling and shaping like the Lexan does.

bajasam said:
Both Lowes and Home D stock .093 and .125  Lexan, Its about 25 bucks for a chunk big enough to make a new windshield.Dont buy the cheap Plexiglass it cracks and does'nt take drilling and shaping like the Lexan does.
Don't know how it is in the OPs area but trying to purchase plexiglass for our hospital in Western NC has been near to impossible. All the stores that are still open are buying it to protect their cashiers.

Ya I might order online. I still have the OEM screeen but I like the Rifle base as it allows air flow into cockpit, which is a big bonus here in Houston Tx area. I think I am going to try to make a template of the lower rifle base where windshield mounts and then with that flat against inside of lexan sheet trace bottom of template on cut. That way when I bend the lexan it should mate up well with contour and mounting holes.  Finally could I apply heat to lexan to help bend it to form. Thanks

I'm looking at making a DIY windshield for a Rifle base. It appears 1/8" polycarbonate/lexan is the correct thickness to use?

Are there any issues with the residual stress from using flat sheet causing distress or cracking of the Rifle base? Searching the forum seems to indicate that heat-bending it is not necessary, but it still makes me wonder.

I'm looking at making a DIY windshield for a Rifle base. It appears 1/8" polycarbonate/lexan is the correct thickness to use?

Are there any issues with the residual stress from using flat sheet causing distress or cracking of the Rifle base? Searching the forum seems to indicate that heat-bending it is not necessary, but it still makes me wonder.
I can't remember it being mentioned by anyone. If it's a problem, it gets talked about.