• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 205/55ZR17

warwgn

Mini Bike
I know I know, anyway since I am going down the path and seriously thinking of getting a C14 I am looking into all the goodies n such to put on for type of riding, well someone said I will not want to ride my C10 after I get a 14 so got to think about that. I daily commute and take long trips as much as I can and if I get a 14 and it rides like I think I will want to take even more and longer trips, so that means tires are a big deal to me specifically tread life.

Here we go, turn away now if you wish!!

Darkside! I have done it on my GL1500 and on my C10 now, I love it, ride great for my style and lasts very long, not asking if I should just asking who else has and what tire they used? I found what I think may be a great tire, hence the title to the thread, these are used on Porsches and the like with a 186MPH "Y" rating. Rim size 5.5 to 7.5" the section width is 8.4" and tread width is 7.4" so not positive it would fit but just looking. They also make it in 205/50ZR17 but it does not say the tread width but still has 8.4 section, I would rather go with the taller tire if I can to equate to a little less RPMS at speed. I did a search but could not find any real info on car tire on the C14 other than discussion, kinda looking for inside scoop from any who have done it as to how they fit and sizes.

I have never used a car tire on a bike and if I were to give it thought I don't think I would do it on a bike like  the C14. Remember shape not just profile is very important to how a motorcycle tire performs, they even change rubber compounds within the tread and that shape. I'm like a car tire each part of the tread face from Center to outside is designed to do something a little differently.
It sounds very much like Michelin makes attire very much like this car tire you're looking at specifically for motorcycles the Road Pilot 4 GT it comes in the sizes you need and it just so happens it's a favorite for Concours 14...

Thanks Grant, I understand it's not for everybody and the Road Pilot 4 GT looks like the best option for a motorcycle tire possibly but still just not what I want. Any motorcycle I plan to tour with will get a CT or I wont buy it for touring, just my preference. I have about 50,000 miles on a car tire between 2 bikes and love the way they handle in wet and dry and how they last, plus very easy to plug one if it ever happens and keep on going until I get home with out having to worry about it.

So is there really nobody on this forum who has gone darkside on their 14 that can give first hand feedback on what size fits and if there were any mods that had to be done?

Warwgn said:
Thanks Grant, I understand it's not for everybody and the Road Pilot 4 GT looks like the best option for a motorcycle tire possibly but still just not what I want. Any motorcycle I plan to tour with will get a CT or I wont buy it for touring, just my preference. I have about 50,000 miles on a car tire between 2 bikes and love the way they handle in wet and dry and how they last, plus very easy to plug one if it ever happens and keep on going until I get home with out having to worry about it.

So is there really nobody on this forum who has gone darkside on their 14 that can give first hand feedback on what size fits and if there were any mods that had to be done?
Here's your opportunity to be THE C14 car tire trail blazer! >:D

Bud said:
Here's your opportunity to be THE C14 car tire trail blazer! >:D

:) It's a deal, I will be happy too.............just need to hurry up and get a 14 and it can join the stable next to my C10 that has a car tire. Until then I will keep searching for info but I think it will fit just fine.

I do like the look of it.
mi_pilot_sport_ps2_pdpcrop.jpg

I have a close friend who tried the "dark side" car tire on the rear of his '99 Honda Valkrye.
He ran it for about a year that way.
He said it had it's advantages and disadvantages.

But, after trying it, he has now gone back to a MC tire.

He said for the most part, it was ok. But at times it would feel strange, squirmey, would track strange over grooves in the road, etc.

His main reason for trying it was mileage. The Honda Valkrye rear tire's a nightmare to remove from the bike... a major job. It doesn't have a center stand. Exhaust has to be removed. Bag guards and bags removed. Brake assembly's more complicated than a C14. Take it somewhere and have it done at a bike shop, R&R can add $250 to the cost of the tire and mount/balance. He once spent $450 for this.
Do this every 8000 miles, and you can easily see what an expensive hassle it becomes!

Car tires can also be easier to plug on the road than a MC tire...

But he decided to go back to a MC tire. That told me a lot.

IMHO, the C14 is not a proper candidate for trying this.
Plus, Kawi made the C14 too easy to quickly remove/reinstall the rear wheel.

I could see why you'd wanna try this if it were a Honda...

Douglas said:
Warwgn: Can you take a measurement of your chicken strips for me? You know, when using a mcy tire....

on the front of my C10 right now they .700 and that tire has about 23,000 miles on it. The back is a ct so cant see strips. If you pm me I can text you some pics.

I am curious, I had an old friend who road a Valkrye with  a car tire. Road with him in the mountains once with a small group of sport tourers and he road last but we mostly never had to wait for him. That was back aroung 07 have lost track of him since. Name was Bill, lived in Fort Smith. A really cool dude. Same guy?
C14lvr said:
I have a close friend who tried the "dark side" car tire on the rear of his '99 Honda Valkrye.
He ran it for about a year that way.
He said it had it's advantages and disadvantages.

But, after trying it, he has now gone back to a MC tire.

He said for the most part, it was ok. But at times it would feel strange, squirmey, would track strange over grooves in the road, etc.

His main reason for trying it was mileage. The Honda Valkrye rear tire's a nightmare to remove from the bike... a major job. It doesn't have a center stand. Exhaust has to be removed. Bag guards and bags removed. Brake assembly's more complicated than a C14. Take it somewhere and have it done at a bike shop, R&R can add $250 to the cost of the tire and mount/balance. He once spent $450 for this.
Do this every 8000 miles, and you can easily see what an expensive hassle it becomes!

Car tires can also be easier to plug on the road than a MC tire...

But he decided to go back to a MC tire. That told me a lot.

IMHO, the C14 is not a proper candidate for trying this.
Plus, Kawi made the C14 too easy to quickly remove/reinstall the rear wheel.

I could see why you'd wanna try this if it were a Honda...

Lather,
No, this guy's in Oklahoma. Different guy.

He never had a problem keeping up with the group riding a car tire, and he really didn't complain much either. But it sure looked odd following him in the corners... watching it go up on the edge when he'd lean.

I asked him if it caused him to have to use more force to get the bike to corner. He said no.

That's the strangest part... my tires square off from running too much slab vertically, and I can tell a huge difference in cornering with a new set!

Warwgn, I won't be going to the dark side, but have a question.
  Would it be better to go to a narrower, higher sidewall tire? (something like a 185/65-17}
  Reason I ask is, it would have a narrower width at the tread, same approx. OD, and maybe feel less strange when leaned??

Ride safe, Ted

I used to ride a Big Dog Mastiff it didn't have a car tire on it but just the fact it was a 300mm required all the lead I had in my azz to lean it over. That was ok on a bar hopper but I can't imagine that on a corner carving machine. The big wide MC tire required extra effort to lean but at least you weren't trying to force it up on a little ridge and it wasn't squirrely. I can't imagine a car tire on a c14 not robbing it of its handling characteristics.

I am not sure really,  cant find enough info, however I will in that size and see if there is one with the right speed rating. I dont really think it would feel much different though, I am running a 175/70R16. now and it felt absolutely no different as far as leaning transition than the E4 that it replaced. They run 205/55 and 205/50 on goldwings a lot so dont think the width will be an issue, but not sure?

Grant said:
I used to ride a Big Dog Mastiff it didn't have a car tire on it but just the fact it was a 300mm required all the lead I had in my azz to lean it over. That was ok on a bar hopper but I can't imagine that on a corner carving machine. The big wide MC tire required extra effort to lean but at least you weren't trying to force it up on a little ridge and it wasn't squirrely. I can't imagine a car tire on a c14 not robbing it of its handling characteristics.

I dont really know, my personal experience to date and the way I ride make me think it will be just fine for me, but honestly wont know until I give it a try.  I cant say if it would work for peg scrapers and knee draggers maybe not, but then again have seen vidoes of people scrapping the mess out of bikes with a ct on a track so it may be fine too. I am more in line with the touring side of a bike and less on the sport, the C10 is great but old and not as powerful as I would like so the C14 seems like the ticket.

I dont really know, my personal experience to date and the way I ride make me think it will be just fine for me, but honestly wont know until I give it a try. I cant say if it would work for peg scrapers and knee draggers maybe not, but then again have seen vidoes of people scrapping the mess out of bikes with a ct on a track so it may be fine too. I am more in line with the touring side of a bike and less on the sport, the C10 is great but old and not as powerful as I would like so the C14 seems like the ticket.
Over on Delphi Forums there was Darksider forum that was very helpful and had a database with all compatible tires separated by motorcycle make/model as well as recommended tire pressures and everything else super informative. Apparently that database got hacked somehow and the link doesn't work anymore. I looked for you. So, we will have to dig a little deeper to figure out brand, size, etc that works best for Connie.

I ran about 85,000+ miles on my 1600 Classic with CT (Dunlop Sp2000) over several years. Crossed the country many times both by myself and with passengers. I have zero negative experience to report about my use of a CT on my cruiser. Literally zero.

What did you end up doing for Connie?

Hey Heath, I think that person is no longer around. I'm not sure, but I think when it shows "guest" it's someone who did not renew their COG membership.

Hey Heath, I think that person is no longer around. I'm not sure, but I think when it shows "guest" it's someone who did not renew their COG membership.
Thank you, my friend! My expectations for a reply to old threads is usually pretty low.