• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

One of these days, I'm gonna catch a charge....

x01660

On a Connie in a neighborhood near you
Dropped my fiance off at work. Came back to find my bike in the street. Checked the camera. Some dude just kicked it in the street.... Like he went in, it didn't tip over, so he went in with a second kick. 15 minutes after I left my house....

20231019_092402.jpg

20231019_092404.jpg

20231019_092411.jpg

-x01660

Do you know who the AH is?

Ride safe, Ted

Pretty sure its a local high school student. And I'm pretty sure it was the same AH who kicked my Vulcan over in the exact same way....

I live between the HS and the Metro stop, so they all come walking this way.... I need to find a better place to put it....

-x01660

I got lucky; since I'm parked on the sidewalk, the Connie fell resting on the saddlebag and the light bar I have installed. Footpeg didn't touch the ground at all. I reoriented my bikes. Now the kickstand for the Vulcan is facing the street. If he goes to kick it again, it should just stop. Here's hoping....

I'm really bummed about my fairings, though.... UGH!!

20231019_103942.jpg

-x01660

Stop don’t clean anything. He touched your left side mirror, call the cops get a finger print - you can catch this guy.

I had some AH’s trying to get my key stove-top key out of the ignition or start my C14. They bent the key but never got either to happen.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Stop don’t clean anything. He touched your left side mirror, call the cops get a finger print - you can catch this guy.

I had some AH’s trying to get my key stove-top key out of the ignition or start my C14. They bent the key but never got either to happen.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Let me tell you about DC cops; I was at a client site 2 days ago, and we hear a big bang. Dude crashed into another car and a concrete barrier, and did some damage to my client's truck. This is on H St NE, where the cable car is located. Dude gets out the car with his daughter, and just starts walking away, leaving his car in the middle of the road, blocking traffic and the street car. I call the cops and start following him on my bike. He eventually sees that I'm on the phone with the cops, and he calls me out. I tell him that he's leaving the scene of an accident, so I'm calling the cops. I can also see across the street that he's high or drunk outta his mind. Slurring words, eyes bloodshot from across the street.

He turns around and goes back to the car. Cop shows up. And complains that since the dude didn't have insurance, he has to write a ticket and do paperwork. Literally what the cop said. Nothing about the run, nothing about DUI with his 7 year old kid....

DC cops are COMPLETELY useless. If its not violent crime, they won't even show up.

And even if they did catch the kid, its a non-violent crime, so the USAO won't prosecute. Mostly because the DC crime lab lost its accreditation. So yeah....

😶

-x01660

Let me tell you about DC cops; I was at a client site 2 days ago, and we hear a big bang. Dude crashed into another car and a concrete barrier, and did some damage to my client's truck. This is on H St NE, where the cable car is located. Dude gets out the car with his daughter, and just starts walking away, leaving his car in the middle of the road, blocking traffic and the street car. I call the cops and start following him on my bike. He eventually sees that I'm on the phone with the cops, and he calls me out. I tell him that he's leaving the scene of an accident, so I'm calling the cops. I can also see across the street that he's high or drunk outta his mind. Slurring words, eyes bloodshot from across the street.

He turns around and goes back to the car. Cop shows up. And complains that since the dude didn't have insurance, he has to write a ticket and do paperwork. Literally what the cop said. Nothing about the run, nothing about DUI with his 7 year old kid....

DC cops are COMPLETELY useless. If its not violent crime, they won't even show up.

And even if they did catch the kid, its a non-violent crime, so the USAO won't prosecute. Mostly because the DC crime lab lost its accreditation. So yeah....

😶

-x01660
Try that in my small town. You break the law. You go to jail. We like it like that.

Try that in my small town. You break the law. You go to jail. We like it like that.

Yeah... It was like that where I was in CA as well.... I'm lucky enough to live in a relatively decent area, and this is just some punk high school student.... That said, it is SUPER frustrating to see crime being comitted in FRONT of the cops, and they just sit there.....

Ah well. 🫠

-x01660

Wow that is unreal. Watching that video was a eye opener. So sorry that had to happen to you.
All that work you have done in the past couple months and something like that happens. Breaks my heart to see that.

Dean

Just thinking out loud here, but have you had any words with someone while working on the bikes? Are they always parked on tje sidewalk? And this is just some stupid ass kid who is fed up of having to walk around both ur bikes Parked on the sidewalk all the time. After all the sidewalk is supposed to be there for pedestrians to use, not for park their bikes on.

I'm NOT condoning his actions, but my 27 years as an Leo, has taught me there ARE reasons for why folks do the stupid things they do to others and/or their property.

Just thinking out loud here, but have you had any words with someone while working on the bikes? Are they always parked on tje sidewalk? And this is just some stupid ass kid who is fed up of having to walk around both ur bikes Parked on the sidewalk all the time. After all the sidewalk is supposed to be there for pedestrians to use, not for park their bikes on.

I'm NOT condoning his actions, but my 27 years as an Leo, has taught me there ARE reasons for why folks do the stupid things they do to others and/or their property.
No words with anyone at all. I'm as polite as they come, SPECIFICALLY for that reason. And DC is a small town.

As for the bike on the sidewalk, its actually not blocking the sidewalk. Its flush with the planter and the stop sign, so it doesn't interfere with the right of way. And EVERYONE parks scooters and motorcycles on the sidewalk in DC. EVERYWHERE. All over town. I even checked with a cop who was out writing tickets. Said he doesn't care, its not blocking anything, and there's a lot more important stuff to worry about than a bike on the sidewalk. His words, lol.

Kid is just a punk. There's a charter school down the street from us, along with the Metro stop that's literally a block down from my place. Like, 300 feet. They all come walking this way all the time. That's city life. At least my rims weren't stolen or tires flattened.....

BTW, don't come to DC if you're in a newer model Honda; your wheels WILL get jacked...

-x01660

Last edited:
Our nation’s capital doesn’t sound like somewhere I would want to visit these days, much less live there.

I was there for work back in 1978.
I went into a McDonalds to get lunch.
Waited in line. Got up to the counter.
None of the teenagers working there would take my order.
☹️

Our nation’s capital doesn’t sound like somewhere I would want to visit these days, much less live there.

I was there for work back in 1978.
I went into a McDonalds to get lunch.
Waited in line. Got up to the counter.
None of the teenagers working there would take my order.
☹️

Its a love and hate relationship. I'm not gonna lie; I LOVE living here, and this is my first time living in a proper city. I'm a SoCal suburbs kid, then lived in Santa Barbara for 11 years. DC has a LOT to offer, between the history, the free museums, the amazing cultural events...

Then today, I watched a lady pop a squat and relieve herself on the sidewalk, right in front of my bike.... The juxtaposition is stark.

As a visitor, you'll be fine. And I HIGHLY recommend coming to see the musems, the Mall, the Arboretum, etc. And the tourist area is SUPER safe. But yeah, the city itself has pockets that are totally fine, then other areas where even I won't go after dark. Like any big city.

All that said, we DEFINITELY can and should do better. When Congressmen are getting carjacked on the way to The Hill, you KNOW its a huge issue.

-x01660

X01660

Oh I understand and agree completely

We visited the museums and monuments when I was there. Wouldn’t take anything for those experiences

X01660

Oh I understand and agree completely

We visited the museums and monuments when I was there. Wouldn’t take anything for those experiences

You're right, though about those teenage cashiers.... I'm in my 30s, so not that old, and I am APPALLED at their behavior and attitude....

-x01660