• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Overflow tubes

Concours750

Big Wheel
My 02, with 65k miles, has begun to drip fuel. Very noticable on Prime. Not so much in ON. Today, I replaced fuel line and clamps with no change. I'd like to learn about overflow tubes and if I can do the installation myself. Search reveals several "hits", but no info I'm looking for. Any pointers? I'm also looking at petcock rebuild kit or replacement. Who has experience with this?  Thank you

Jack

Overflow tubes are 'press fit', and not recommended for a 'back yard mechanic'.  If you have experience with this
kinda stuff go for it... if not, I'd refer you to 'Steve In Sunny Fla' to have them installed, along with a carb service.

Your on the right track with overflow tubes....  but if you've got internal issues with your carbs, you'll only be leaking
fuel through the tubes instead...

Here's Steve's web site if you're interested:

https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/intake-and-exhaust

If you decide to rebuild your petcock, I'd recommend an OEM rebuild kit, and a very thorough cleaning as you rebuild.
Aftermarket kits are hit or miss for others on the forum.  I just replaced mine... easier and faster.

George - is this where the 4mm above the fuel bowl that I've heard of is coming from? will you please change that ?  4 mm is way to low, the fuel will slosh over during normal operation. The proper height should be no lower that 8mm and no higher than 10mm. Plus I haven't used any sealer in years; A precise fit is necessary as todays' fuel is so loaded with cleaning agents it breaks down every epoxy I ever tried years ago, Thanks, Steve

Onager,
I did the petcock rebuilt with OEM kit from Murphs

http://www.murphskits.com/

sent the bowls to Steve (SISF) for overflow tubes.  as Steve mentioned, they need to be press fit.  His work was excellent of course.

-brian

You can try to install overflow tubes but you screw up the float bowls you buy new ones!!  $$  If you already have gas dripping you have other problems. Most likely float needle (needles) are bad and likely a petcock going bad. You are a high risk for hydrolock!!

Might add that our fuel feed setup was a mandate from EPA. Other bikes have similar problems but they don't have a forum as good as COG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W6k3pTdAXw&feature=plcp

Sorry for the gloom and doom but a bent rod is a BAD thing. If fixed correctly hydrolock is kind of rare.

Steve in Sunny Fla said:
George - is this where the 4mm above the fuel bowl that I've heard of is coming from? will you please change that ?  4 mm is way to low, the fuel will slosh over during normal operation. The proper height should be no lower that 8mm and no higher than 10mm. Plus I haven't used any sealer in years; A precise fit is necessary as todays' fuel is so loaded with cleaning agents it breaks down every epoxy I ever tried years ago, Thanks, Steve
Hello Steve,

I installed the float bowl drain tubes in 2008-May-05. Since then both the epoxy and the 4mm height have been working perfectly for me. No leaking, no sloshing.

I trust anyone else who tries the DIY approach will take your reservations into account.

GeorgeRYoung said:
Steve in Sunny Fla said:
Hello Steve,

I installed the float bowl drain tubes in 2008-May-05. Since then both the epoxy and the 4mm height have been working perfectly for me. No leaking, no sloshing.

I trust anyone else who tries the DIY approach will take your reservations into account.

Does the gasoline that you usually burn have ethanol?

I originally did my overflow tubes, as did SiSF using epoxy. Not long after installed, less than a year(?), the epoxy was loose, looking like donuts unattached to anything but still encircling the overflow tubes. Steve used oversize tubes with a press fit to provide well over 100k miles of trouble free operation, so far.

[quote author=SteveJ. . . Does the gasoline that you usually burn have ethanol?
. . . [/quote]My once-a-year trip down the BRP is the a large part of my riding. If the US gas stations there have ethanol, I've  never noticed any impact. At home in Canada, I  have no idea.

GeorgeRYoung said:
[quote author=SteveJ. . . Does the gasoline that you usually burn have ethanol?
. . .
My once-a-year trip down the BRP is the a large part of my riding. If the US gas stations there have ethanol, I've  never noticed any impact. At home in Canada, I  have no idea.
[/quote]
Thanks, and enjoy your weather, eh?

If coin is an issue, the petcock can be rebuilt with a Kawasaki OEM diaphragm for under $20 and the automatic operation is retained. Some opt for the manual conversion, which requires that you remember to turn it off after each ride. The only fully passive hydrolock protection is an overflow tube system.

I'm a dedicated DIYer, but my overflow tube attempt was an epic fail.

Sent to SISF; beautiful work, fast turnaround, and a perfect little drain manifold.

Petcock rebuild is easy.  Be sure that you polish the valve seats.

Describing and DOING the overflows are 2 totally different animals. SISF is no longer doing business due to health reasons, and we ALL wish him well. He served the community for an eon it seems. We LUV YA SISF. Never give Up Bruh.