• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Reinstalling rear wheel

tubano51045

I got my Connie this last November and it’s my first shaft driven bike. In June, I picked up my first nail while riding. Plugged it and got home. Fast forward, two weeks ago, riding back from Nashville the plug failed and I proceeded to sit on 40 with a flat in the dark for a couple hours. Got the bike to a friends house and went back the following day and proceeded to take the rear wheel off for a new tire. (Btw, thanks for all the threads on trailering a Connie, we did it all wrong at 11pm but were very lucky)

My searching skills haven’t been good enough to find previous threads, but are there special instructions for putting the wheel back on or do I just bolt it back up the way it came off with the proper torque specs?

Thanks for any help!

Reactions: Bud
I did this after my return trip from the National rally. Goes on the way it came off. Make sure to go with proper torque spec's as you mentioned.
Easier with two people to get the rim to mate up with shaft hub.

Here's what the manual states:
•Apply high-temperature grease: Grease Seal Lips
•Apply molybdenum disulfide grease: Ring Gear Hub Splines
•Fit the collars on the both sides of the hub.
•Hold up the rear wheel, and insert the rear axle together with the washer from the left side.
•Slide the rear wheel to the left side. Engage the ring gear hub splines with the wheel coupling hub splines.
•Pull the rear axle little and install the caliper bracket
•Install the caliper bracket bolt temporarily.
•Tighten:
Torque - Rear Axle Nut: 127 N·m (13 kgf·m, 94 ft·lb)
Caliper Bracket Bolt: 64 N·m (6.5 kgf·m, 47 ft·lb)

I like to partially install the axle and push it into the wheel a few inches as you roughly put the wheel in place. After it's in place, temporarily push it all the way thru.
The axle will support the wheel as you stab it onto the splines.
When I stab it into the splines I sometimes set on the left side of the bike. From there it's easier to rotate and pull.

After it's in the splines, you can pull the axle out part way and install the spacer and brake perch.
I push a 1/2" extension in from the right to align and temporarily support them as I push the axle thru.

NOTE: There is a spacer inside the differential that has to go in before you stab the wheel.
Do NOT forget that spacer.

Ride safe, Ted

I like to partially install the axle and push it into the wheel a few inches as you roughly put the wheel in place. After it's in place, temporarily push it all the way thru.
The axle will support the wheel as you stab it onto the splines.
When I stab it into the splines I sometimes set on the left side of the bike. From there it's easier to rotate and pull.

After it's in the splines, you can pull the axle out part way and install the spacer and brake perch.
I push a 1/2" extension in from the right to align and temporarily support them as I push the axle thru.

NOTE: There is a spacer inside the differential that has to go in before you stab the wheel.
Do NOT forget that spacer.

Ride safe, Ted
Hmm, spacer? I think I have one on my bench 😄

I got my Connie this last November and it’s my first shaft driven bike. In June, I picked up my first nail while riding. Plugged it and got home. Fast forward, two weeks ago, riding back from Nashville the plug failed and I proceeded to sit on 40 with a flat in the dark for a couple hours. Got the bike to a friends house and went back the following day and proceeded to take the rear wheel off for a new tire. (Btw, thanks for all the threads on trailering a Connie, we did it all wrong at 11pm but were very lucky)

My searching skills haven’t been good enough to find previous threads, but are there special instructions for putting the wheel back on or do I just bolt it back up the way it came off with the proper torque specs?

Thanks for any help!
No special instructions... I like to have a piece of 5/4 decking under the rear wheel. Gets it closer to the height of the hub( at least on my bike) so I don't have to work too hard lifting it onto the splines. Use good quality lube, sparingly too much and it WILL fling off and eventually make its way to ur rim... dont ask how I know that...lol

Don't forget the cotter pin....