• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Riding Gloves

GRR125

The best lightweight riding gloves I've ever owned are a pair of Thurlow Deerskin gloves, that I bought from his factory, maybe 40 years ago. I've never been down wearing them so can't attest to their real protection, but independent studies have reported deerskin among the best leathers for abrasion resistance. I've treated them with leather stuff and re-did the black die to bring them back looking fresh again. They are in about the same condition as when new, so they have held up very well.

Sadly, Thurlow went out of business quite a few years back so that source is no longer available. I recall that Mr Thurlow passed away 20 or more years ago and his daughter closed the shop.

Looking for a new pair of work gloves, I was surprised to run across of excellent-appearing deerskin gloves at Home Depot. Yes, they are bright yellow, but in my use doing chores around the house, they are comfortable and seem to be quite good quality, so these might serve a reasonable replacement. And at about one third the cost pf the Thurlow gloves - $25! I've seen numerous current ads for Thurlow-replacement gloves for $100 and up.

Yet again, I saw a similar pair of yellow deerskin gloves at Harbor Freight for $16. Certainly a better deal for working in the yard, but I don't know that I'd trust those on the road.

Gary

The best lightweight riding gloves I've ever owned are a pair of Thurlow Deerskin gloves, that I bought from his factory, maybe 40 years ago. I've never been down wearing them so can't attest to their real protection, but independent studies have reported deerskin among the best leathers for abrasion resistance. I've treated them with leather stuff and re-did the black die to bring them back looking fresh again. They are in about the same condition as when new, so they have held up very well.

Sadly, Thurlow went out of business quite a few years back so that source is no longer available. I recall that Mr Thurlow passed away 20 or more years ago and his daughter closed the shop.

Looking for a new pair of work gloves, I was surprised to run across of excellent-appearing deerskin gloves at Home Depot. Yes, they are bright yellow, but in my use doing chores around the house, they are comfortable and seem to be quite good quality, so these might serve a reasonable replacement. And at about one third the cost pf the Thurlow gloves - $25! I've seen numerous current ads for Thurlow-replacement gloves for $100 and up.

Yet again, I saw a similar pair of yellow deerskin gloves at Harbor Freight for $16. Certainly a better deal for working in the yard, but I don't know that I'd trust those on the road.

Gary

My grandson bought a pair of deer skin gloves at Rural King. I’ve been wearing them to rebuild a deck at the lake house. VERY comfortable.
Very comfortable. I’ll check

I just bought a pair of deerskins from Rural King last week that will replace some I've had for close to 10 years. I almost bought the Buffalo gloves, they were more a work glove and were a bit thicker whereas the deer was supple and thinner for what I like. Only problem? China for deer, the Buffalo was India. I looked and looked but could not find non-China deer gloves that weren't $100.