• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Speedometer malfunctioning

cornponious

Greetings. I recently replaced the tires on my 2003 Concours myself. First time I've ever done that myself. After installing the front wheel back onto the bike, the speedometer no longer functions. It will either show no mph, or the needle will bounce up and down. Mind you, for the eleven years I've owned the bike the speedometer has always functioned properly. Clearly I've done something wrong.

I have disconnected and reconnected the cable several times, both at the speedometer and at the wheel, just to ensure both ends are connected properly. They SEEM to be, and yet the speedometer still is not functioning properly. Would anyone have any suggestions? I sincerely appreciate any input.

(most probable) The speedo drive is probably not mounted correctly on the wheel. You must install it with the ears in the slot on the wheel.
If done incorrectly you may have bent the metal ears when you installed it.
Did you remove the inner cable and inspect it? Often, they break internally, or the ends break off.
Lastly, is the cable routed correctly? Very common to route it incorrectly.

(most probable) The speedo drive is probably not mounted correctly on the wheel. You must install it with the ears in the slot on the wheel.
Did you remove the inner cable and inspect it? Often, they break internally, or the ends break off.
Thank you for the reply. I will inspect and report back.

Yup, that's the problem. Luckily I had a spare part. I've just mounted it and the speedometer is now working properly. Thank you for the enlightenment.