• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

'05 project almost done - needs a 2000 front fender

Stasch

Not sure where to put this.  It could be in several forum areas.

I've been working on a project and have it together with the exception of one part.  Can you tell which part it is?

More pics here: http://rides.webshots.com/album/582543730MiRkXs?vhost=rides

If you have a 2000 front fender, thats the color I need.  It would keep me from having to paint a good condition '05 fender I have.  What are the chances of finding one?  Not sure, but I have to try.

This is an '05 that had a low speed right low side slide.  I've put an '88 body and cans from another '88, 92 or 93 - can't remember now.  Not sure if it should be called an '85 or an '08 !!  Guess I can't really do either so I'll call it an 88/05 for now.

The project came out well.  It looks great and has had:  valve adjust, carb sync, air filter cleaned / oiled and an oil / filter change.  It runs and rides great. 

The '88 fairing stay was modified to accomodate the '94 and newer inner fairings and gauges.  Guages remain from the original '05 so the mileage is exactly accurate.  All the inner fairing pieces look great - those parts were purchased from other bikes being parted out as the '05's originals were crack and marred.

A personal downside is that I'm conflicted on whether to keep the 88/05 combo with 27,4xx mi. or my 2000 with 64,9xx mi.  Both run flawlessly and start instantly.  I kind of like the entire fairing being red over the 2 tone of my 2000.

This same 'problem' happened to me a couple years ago when I did a similar project involving a '95 with only 11,xxx mi.  That bike came out really well too and I was in the same dilemna. 

That '95 was eventually traded for a '95 GPZ 1100 (ZX1100E).

There is nothing wrong with the 88/05 bike mechanically.  I would be perfectly comfortable keeping it and riding it anywhere and everywhere just like I've been doing with my 2000. 

It has a few minor cosmetic issues or variances - but you have to be looking for them.

- A small BB sized dent on top front right of tank.

- Some scratching in a 1" x 1.5" concentrated area on the left side cover where it looks like the tank was attempted to be removed / reinstalled with side cover in place.  I've seen this on other C10's too.

- The instrument cluster is raised up about 3/8" closer to the rider than stock.  Had to shim it up a bit for it to fit the modified stay, so its not almost flush with the upper inner fairing shroud like other C10's.  It looks good - just not completely stock.

- The '88 body had 50,000 miles on it, so there is some other minor normal wear and age places on the finish that can be expected on a 24 year old bike.  From normal viewing distance its fine.  I'm making note of it, as I'm comparing this to my 2000 which is practically perfect.

This 88/05 will have a salvage title.  The ins. co. totaled it out to its original owner (who bought it new) due to the obscene OEM costs of the complete fairing, mirrors, inner fairing and bag parts.  He elected to keep the bike and the project was born.

If the salvage title keeps buyers away I may just decide to keep it and sell the 2000.

My 2000 has been with me since '03 and has never been down or tipped over - no cracks or issues.  Most of its farkles would be retained to switch over to the 88/93/05 if I kept it. 

Stuff like Audiovox cruise control, Corbin seat, Cee Bailey WS, Kneesaver pegs, passenger floorboards, Shad 42L top box, Hella Optilux driving lights and light bar.

Still have to work a bit on the 88/05 bags - they're solid but a bit faded - need some Back To Black or other sprucing up.

I welcome thoughts and opinions on this, and if you have a 2000 fender laying around - I'm your guy.

If I think of other stuff about the bike I'll add it later.  I have a ton of other pics of the bike finished and when under progress.

The 88/05 looks great. Sounds like a great project. You have probably already done this but just in case check ebay for that front fender.  You might be able to find one in half way decent shape.

Been watching Ebay - The kicker is I'm hopeing to find a 2000 red one which will match. 

There's one 2000 out there but its all scuffed up, holes drilled in the side and so would need paint.

I already have an '05 that I can paint as 'Fender Plan B'. 

Another idea is to put my 2000 fender on it.

I'ld have to fit the earlier version back on the 2000 to replace it - I think its possible.

Or, I could put the earlier version fender on this, but it looses the complete new version look that way.

I'm confused by the title. I have the feeling it's probably suppose to say "85 or 88 C10". There was no 08 C10. If this is the case, maybe change the first post title as to avoid confusion.

Yes I know!  Small play on words, or numbers in this case!

cross the numbers in the two lines:  85 or 08 !

I'll look.  I have a 2000 that is crashed and can't remember if the fender is good or not.  I'll have to get up in the loft tomorrow and check.  I know it's gotta be up there.

Stasch said:
Yes I know!  Small play on words, or numbers in this case!

cross the numbers in the two lines:  85 or 08 !

:-[

I think you should change the title and move this to the emporium.

I'll change title, but its not for sale yet - I'm gathering opinions and asking about a fender.

Who dink around with paint when you can get a new one for less than $75.00 plus shipping?

Exactly.  I haven't found one yet.  Do you know of one (a 2000) available? 

The paint and color specific primer for red may be almost as much as this or more to get it matched correctly.

I have an '05 fender which is beige ('pearl luster wrong color for 88 or 2000 something') but that's not going to look good without . . . . . . paint.

Rev Ryder said:
I'll look.  I have a 2000 that is crashed and can't remember if the fender is good or not.  I'll have to get up in the loft tomorrow and check.  I know it's gotta be up there.

Oh man, that would be great.  This is encouraging.

I do already have a WTB in the emporium - not much action on it.

This thread seems to be showing some potential though.

I'll climb up there at lunch and see. If I do then maybe this thread can go the way of the dodo.  It IS out of place and I'm surprised a global mod hasn;t moved it yet.  I'll let you know some time this afternoon.  I know I have one that is in primer somewhere... well, I think I know.  :-[

Yeah, WillyP already suggested its in the wrong area.  Maybe I kinda skewed things by having a dual purpose to the thread.

My WTB for fender wasn't going anywhere, and this new thread had a bunch of other stuff about the project and asking for opinions.

Gimme a 2000 fender and I'll go away!  :))

Dangit!  I cannot find it.  Either it was broke and I pitched it with all the other smashed up parts, or it's under my nose and I can't see it.  I did find the primered one, but it's not a Connie fender at all, it's a ZZR1200 fender.  Kinda like a Connie, but different.  I'd forgot about it being one to go with my ZZR forks I have on the shelf.  I'll look some more tonight after choir practice, but it ain;t in the loft apparently.

Here's a pretty slick looking 2006 fender for AUCTION on eBay for $34.99 and $13 shipping.  THe guy says it's an 86 he thinks, but...
Regardless, that's a good deal IMHO.
ONLY 2 HOURS LEFT so if you;re interested...

http://tinyurl.com/85eun9h

I went through the same thing with my 1998. I bought a complete fairing from an 86 (I was told, but I think it was an 88). The front fender did not fit, so I had to buy a newer one and paint it along with the gas tank. Some of the fairing stays and parts did not have the same tabs, so had to modify it somewhat. It was a fun project.

Then I got the C-!4......

And it turned out well!

Rev Ryder - Thanks for checking for me.  I already have an '05 fender in great shape - looks more and more like I might be painting it.

gsun - both projects look really nice.  I have a couple questions on your paint for the C10.

- Did you rattle can or spray gun?

- Where did you get the paint that matched?

- If ColoRite, did you use their recommended primer for red overcoat and did you use their finish coat option?

Answered in a PM.

You can see the paint differences in the picture that I mentioned. The front fairing was painted and the rear was not. I had the tank painted to match the front. Didn't want to spend too much by painting the rear.

Stasch,

The bike has come along really nicely.....summers almost here...paint the fender and have it done and overwith. Stick with the bike you have, you already have it setup so well and you know it like the back of your hand!

BTW, what kind of nav system was that you had setup on your tank bag?

Stasch said:
Who dink around with paint when you can get a new one for less than $75.00 plus shipping?

Exactly.  I haven't found one yet.  Do you know of one (a 2000) available? 

The paint and color specific primer for red may be almost as much as this or more to get it matched correctly.

I have an '05 fender which is beige ('pearl luster wrong color for 88 or 2000 something') but that's not going to look good without . . . . . . paint.

Yeah, all you have to do is click the link in the post and you'll be on the page to buy it from Ron Ayers.  If you buy paint from Color Rite you'll spend more than you would for the new fender.

Charlie, 

You're right, 3 rattle cans (color, required primer for red, and the clear) would be over $100, plus the work to paint and make sure its right - and ever present chance for problems.

I had checked Bike Bandit and they wanted $155 plus shipping.

Kawasaki wanted $175 plus shipping.

When you said 'new one' earlier in this thread, I was confusing it with used ones that would need paint what with all the other convesation going on, especially at only $75.  That relative cheap price didn't even register.  Didn't click the link either.

So with high hopes I clicked the link.  Fenders range in cost from around $75 on up  . . . . depending on color. 

My hopes were cruelly dashed on the rocks of despair (ain't that poetic?) to learn that the 2000 Candy Persimmon Red fenders are $140 plus shipping, not cost efficient for the project.

I am considering modding the pre '88 fender that matches in color already, with the stand 'fork brace' bracket from the '05 and call it good. 

Still keeping my beady little eyes open for a used 2000 one.  That would be the best scenario.

When I got my tank and front fender painted, it cost $400.00. But, it is worth it. think of all the money you wasted on things like food, rent, etc.