• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

06 C10 Highway speed wobble and shaky

Hey, I have a 06 c10 and I have a high speed shake (greater than 90mph) and a scary wobble if following a semi or other bigger vehicle. The bike has 20,000 miles, forks rebuilt with 15w fluid, wheel bearings good, and new tires have not changed the issue. it also does not track very good going down the road and feels like it pulls/leans to the left. Any ideas???? Thanks.

Following....
I have the same problem.... not quite as server as yours... but....

My 06 gets the "wiggles" occasionally above 60 mph... it's often much worse on interstate - ( wind currents and grooved pavement exacerbate).
Increasing pressure in rear shock helped a lot ( Thanks for that suggestion at the Cumberland rally last year Ted!)

I also just redid my forks and rear shock fluid with 15 weight. A brief test ride on the interstate indicated it that helped a lot...but not completely
Per suggestion from Ted about raising back end, I think I might try dropping front end a 1/2"...
I'm vertical challenged anyway / would like to have more of my foot on the ground.

Now..... There's been lot of discussion on here over the years about steering stem torgue and bearings.
I've checked for play in the steering stem etc.... but if lowering front end doesn't help I think a tear down / new bearings may be next

It's frustrating for sure... good luck and keep us posted if'n you don't mind.

Best Regards
Bob

Mine had these issues early on along with headshake tendancies on 50->40 mph decel.

I changed tires from the stock OEM dunlops, changed out rear shock oil and keep rear shock and fork settings from being too soft, changed fork oil to 15W (to replace the OEM fish oil) and adjusted steering head bearings to resolve it. Each step got it better and Its been rock steady for 15 years.

I run tire pressure at 40 psi front and 42 rear. Too low can also play into this.

What windshield are you running and do you have a tail trunk?

Does the wobble diminish if you take the saddlebags and trunk off?

Steering head bearing... theres a thread for checking for too much play and a procedure for adjusting them in the c10 technical section of the forum..

Stock windshield with crosswind will accurate the loose play at the head bearings...

I'm 5'10" ran a rifle screen 19" I believe and a givi trunk and never had 'wobbles' at 80mph...

Ok, thank you! I will give those things a shot this weekend. It's got a stock windshield and it is more pronounced with the top case on. Any suggestions on what to run for pressure in the rear air shock? I'm 190lbs.

I run about 30-35lb psi and use the #3 damper setting for solo riding.

For reference, I am 55 lb heavier than you.

I've noticed some instability following semis with the air scoops installed. I replaced those with the winter fairing extenders which don't really make riding any more uncomfortable when it's hot. Those little air scoops - regardless how they're installed really amplify turbulent air from trucks temporarily in front of the motorcycle at speed.

Several years ago we started seeing reports of an extreme wobble.
In most cases it was after someone had changed the rear tire.
The suspicion was that on the available radial tires the sidewalls were not stiff enough.
Most that had this issue replaced the rear radial Tire with a belted tire and the issue went away.
I don't know of anyone that figured out what caused it, nor the ultimate fix.

I saw the issue on a Buddy's C-10 when following him near a semi truck.
The wobble was visible and looked very scary!
We think the issue was caused by the huge windshield he had on the bike.
In his case, a belted tire solved the problem, but we wanted to know what was causing the issue.
After checking is bike out, we came up with some thoughts.

There are more possibilities than I know, but here are several things that could help troubleshoot or (mebbe) fix the issue.
1) Remove the windshield and try a stocker.
2) More air pressure in the tire. (initially go extreme and try 50# and see if it effects the issue)
3) Install a belted tire.
4) As Murph sed; Try a fork brace.
5) Check for slack in the steering head bearings. (tighten the bearings)
6) Check the rear swingarm for loosness.
7) (Another possibility) Worn Steering head brings could also cause this. (Change the bearings and bearing races)
ie; ** Worn bearings develop grooves/detents in them where the bearings normally set.
,,,, (If so, gusts from a Semi would force you to slightly turn the bars).
,,,,,,,,,,With the bars slightly turned, the bearings would try to go back into their slots/detents (could cause oscillation/wobble)
8) (Most probable) Bike color. (get some RED spray paint)
{Sorry, I couldn't help myself}

Last edited: