• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

08 Connie instrument vibration/rattle at 3000-4000 rpm

shadow1100

Tricycle
I have an 08 Connie 14, when I am riding at cruising speed (3000-4000 RPM) my instrument cluster emits a loud vibration/rattle.  I took the windshield and front and side fairings off last weekend to search for anything that could be loose and tightened everything up that I found.  The results were not effective, it still rattles, while I ride if I press on the speedo/tach the noise goes away.  It sounds like it is inside the instrument cluster.  Is there anyone else who has had this issue, and is there a fix for this.

Thanks guys,

Steve J

My 09 has this too ... as did my 2002 Honda Nighthawk.  i just assumed it was a trait of the in-line 4's.

A lot of C14's get the buzz. Guys have fixed it with some sort of insulation between the plastic parts around the dash components (in different spots). It usually is a trial and error fix!

i noticed a week after picking my bike up from the dealer that some of the plastic was not assemble correctly on the dash.
so i took it apart and re-assembled correctly ... or so i thought ... it looks right now ... but after this is when i started to notice the buzz.
:-[

Yea, mine has it too.  I took it in fr servicing and they tightened everything up and it went away for a little bit but returned so I have just been dealing with the annoyance for now. 

tighten the nuts that hold the instrument panel.  they are rubber isolated and either came loose, or work there way loose.  thats what solved it for me (after some frustrating attempts to fix it!)

tjhess74 said:
tighten the nuts that hold the instrument panel.  they are rubber isolated and either came loose, or work there way loose.  thats what solved it for me (after some frustrating attempts to fix it!)

thanks i will look into that.

Don't know if this will help you, but here goes....I ride a 2009 C14 ABS which after a week of bringing her home from the dealer began having an annoying vibration/rattle at 2K-4K rpm.  After checking the fairing and instrument cluster I happen to look down at my front fender and noticed two of its retaining screws were missing.  I rode to the local hardware store and installed two hex head screws in place of the missing screws.  Long story short....No more annoying vibration/rattle.  Needless to say, I checked all the screws on the bike immediately thereafter...

My '08 Connie developed this annoying problem recently.  This morning, I removed the windshield and the black panel under it.  That gave me access to the rear of the instrument cluster, I loosened the bracket holding the dashboard to the bike, three 10mm bolts under the black panel, and two under the side cockpit covers at each end of the dash, that gave me enough wiggle room to get to the three studs with 8mm nuts holding the instrument cluster to it's back panel.  I was then able to separate the instrument cluster from its extremely thin foam pad.  I cut a piece of rubber small enough to fit between the studs on the back of the instrument cluster, and slid it in to give the cluster some padding between it and its back panel.  Kawasaki uses rubber grommets for "rattle control".  The larger piece of rubber has stopped the rattle, at least for now.
:)