• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

1000 mile report

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeeVing

I have about 1000 miles since Ivan's flash on my 2015, hope I can relay some (long winded) observations to anyone trying to do research on getting a flash.
    I have dealt with Ivan's for tuning of other bikes, and those results were each stellar. Here are some observations on the C14 flash as of late 2017 for slip on exhaust:
      I noticed improvements in several areas in how the bike runs right away, and others over time. Out of the gate I noted the bike runs cooler, smoother and much more relaxed than stock. Tighter exhaust note. It reminded me immediately of a well tuned carbureted bike. The throttle dials in power linearly with AUTHORITY and allows you to dial down power to closed throttle linearly and almost seamlessly. On and off throttle is drama free across the rev band and like I said , very carb like. Excellent. The bike runs cooler, tighter, and takes less throttle to get up to speed. Steady state cruise is quite a bit smoother than stock, and the engine maintains the same type of feel as when accelerating. The engine is happy at a wider range of speeds now where stock it seemed to get a little wheezy in the extremes of the rev range (below 2500 rpm and over about 8k).
    The heat the bike throws is less in all situations. The feeling of mechanical strain from the engine is less. This is hard to describe, but I am less aware of thrashing, heat and strain coming from the motorcycle since the flash. For me, it was a distraction on the Concours that I was not aware of until it was gone.
    Right away I noticed an obvious increase in torque in the lower half of the rev range. Over time, though, I have noticed that there is more going on than just more power here. It pulls and modulates and even sounds like a different machine. I noticed it less when riding alone, but 2 up and loaded it's a bit of a transformation over the stock bike. The torque is scalable with the throttle, there is no waiting for the engine to spin up. This area is a real departure from stock. I'm curious how Ivan does this. I spend most of my time below 5k rpm, and the the ease with which the bike operates in this range makes revving it optional. Ivan, if you can comment on this I'd like to see what you have to say about this.
    Above 5 or 6k the bike spins up more freely and has less objection to speeds north of 130mph. Before the flash the engine felt a little strained at higher speeds. There are no such issues now.
There is one downside I have noticed and that my fuel consumption. The mileage is suffering for me because it's hard for me to control myself to ride at reasonable speeds. (This is a 'me' problem, clearly.) At normal speeds mpg often shows in the 50's 2 up, which is better than it was stock, but I have been having too much fun to measure it. I'm going to need to work on my impulse control.
    Overall, I dont think I would want to own a C14 without the flash. It has meaningfully improved how the bike runs in every riding situation I have encountered over the last 1000+ miles. I appreciate the flash more the longer I ride with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.