• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

120/90/18 Thoughts or opinions for front tire

herbie

I am looking at tire choices right now, and reading all kinds of opinions. I really like what I read on the Shinko 777. But I have a question, after searching through some retailers I have found out that the 777 for the front only comes in a 120/90/18. Now I know that the 90 will be a taller tire which is okay for me but what I'm concerned about is the tire flex with the taller side walls. Is/ Has anyone running the 120/90/18 front tire? If so can you tell me what you think about it and would you run that size tire again? Thanks

2002 C10

Too tall IMHO. Gonna give you really weird handling.
You can fit the 110/80-18 to the later rim and it sharpens the handling slightly and nearly corrects the Speedo error.

Thank you Boomer I appreciate the input. I kinda had the same feeling about the 90 giving it a funky feeling. I guess I may have to go to plan B, because I really like to have matching tires and I don't want wing tires on it. Plan B Is Avon Am26 tires. I have plenty of time to decide though. Thanks  :great:

I am running one one mine dont like it . it rubbed on my finder and melted the front and back of my finder so now im going to put the stock tire back on

Herbie, I'll ping Jim S. and see if he'll join the discussion.
I think he ran the AM-26 with good results.

Ride safe, Ted

Yes I did have good results with the Avon AM-26's. I always love the threads that say it's hard to find the stock sizes for the C-10. The AM-26 tire has been available for both pre 94 and newer C-10 for years. And  I hate to sound like a broken record but unless you have followed my old C-10 through the twisties on these tires or tried them yourself, don't judge them until you do.

Thanks Kevin, that just confirms it, I'm not even going to try that size.

Thanks Ted for the assistance, I'm sure it will help others as well

Thanks Jim, I read a lot of tire threads and I'm pretty sure it was your post that swayed me towards the AM- 26 tires. I have read of your aggressive riding style  :great: and if it is a good tire for that then it will be a great tire for me. I'm more concerned with grip over mileage, so these tires are on the top of my list.
Thanks all

Herbie said:
Thanks Jim, I read a lot of tire threads and I'm pretty sure it was your post that swayed me towards the AM- 26 tires. I have read of your aggressive riding style  :great: and if it is a good tire for that then it will be a great tire for me. I'm more concerned with grip over mileage, so these tires are on the top of my list.
Thanks all

I ran my tire pressure 38 front 40 rear. Even though the AM-26 is a bias ply tire you would never know it as it rides and handles very well.

A Bias ply tire is fine with me. On my last connie I ran Bridgestone Battlax BT45 V rated bias ply tires and I was very impressed with them. I thought the grip on those tires were great and they did a good job of not following lines or tar snakes. Truthfully I am probably going to buy either the AM-26 or BT 45v tires as soon as the Metzlers run down a little more. Never been much of a fan of the Metzlers but they came on the bike. I'll keep the tire pressures you mentioned in mind. Thanks

I just installd tha avon am26's .. took it out for a ride yesterday. i have the later c10 that is specced at a 120 front. went with the 110. holy crap the difference is night and day. nimble, smooth. I highly recommend it.

took a long ride last night and had the GF on the back. before, if i took my hands off the bars i got the dreaded head shake under 45 mph. was sketchy. NOW, i can take them off at 60 and coast down to 20 no issues. and this is with a passenger (and without, i tried). while the answer a lot is 'dont take your hands off the bars', the point being is that there's a resonance that is removed by going this way tire wise (in my situation). nothing else was changed. the 120 is def too wide for the rim .

for the record, i also did the back tire 1st (avon 150) and it still had the low speed weave. next day did the front, and then it was gone.  :beerchug:

big thanks to jim for replying to my messages.

Geez, don't tell Jim he did good. His head will swell up. {again}  :-\

Glad it worked out for you.

See ya on the road..
      Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
Geez, don't tell Jim he did good. His head will swell up. {again}  :-\

Glad it worked out for you.

See ya on the road..
      Ride safe, Ted

I heard that. I was sitting here at work and my ears were burning. Hey m in sc, Glad the AM-26's worked for you. I ran those things as hard as I ever ran a radial tire and they stuck like glue. They are probably one of the most overlooked C-10 tire choices out there.