• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

16K Valve Adjust

slybonesjesse

Sport Tourer
Like many I have realized that after about 30K miles I found the valves were not changing much anymore. And had recently decided to switch to a 12K valve adjust interval. I have been a littke slow getting to that. Just go er done today at 16.5K. I thought the valves on the Connie were supposed to tighten up over time? I ask because mine were loose as ever. .005-.007 is the spec for the intake and .007-.009 on the exhaust. I have in the past been setting on the loose side at .007 intake and .009 exhaust. The exhaust on #1 was the only one that was a little tight at .005. The remaining ones were all still on the loose side. In fact this adjust I tightened them up to .006 and .008. Exhaust on #1 I loosened to .008 Anyways at a 16k+ interval I was expecting a bit more variances. 2003 Concours, 56K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://home.comcast.net/~slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

That's good. Getting ready to do mine as well, last was at 23.5K I'm now at almost 40K, have her striped down to just removing the valve cover, can never get that cover off. I'm at almost 17K so curious to see we're there be as well. Paul (Dawg) will be over to assist with the rest.

it's been my experience that the exhaust valves tighten and the intakes loosen. from what i understand the combustion process and the exhaust valves opening causes the valves to grow. this was the case when i checked my 04 at almost 19k. i got the bike with 14k. after looking in the book and reading here, my best guess was the valves MIGHT have been adjusted at the 6k interval by the "stealer" . the exhaust valves were tight. i didn't measure how tight but i think like 4 of 8 were tighter than 0.007" same with the intake only they were loose. i tried to compensate for this in my adjustment by going with 0.008" on the exhaust i made it a loose fit but 0.009" still wouldn't go in. so what i was trying was to stay loose to the middle of the range. if that makes sense. same with the intake, i used 0.006" only this time i went tight to the middle but it was still loose when i tried the 0.005" so i knew i wasn't to tight. i wont be able to tell until i go back in but it seemed like a good idea to me. hope i didn't make that too confusing.

My last adjustment interval was 25K+ miles. I adjust to .007" and .009" to give the maximum time before valves would be tighter than the minimum spec. I've found that after the first 20K or so miles on a new motor the valve clearances stabilize. Other folks experience backs that up. I remember one guy on the micapeak list (his name....?) went much farther between adjustments than I just did and the valves were still within spec. If you don't spend a lot of time above 6K - 7K RPM then the valves clearances will likely be quite stable throughout the life of the motor.

I thought the valves on the Connie were supposed to tighten up over time? I ask because mine were loose as ever. .
As you put more miles on the engine you will probably find less of a change in the valve clearances. If you want you might want to keep track of which valves got looser, thightened up, etc. on a sheet a paper. Then the next time you do a valve adjustment you can see if you have any type of pattern w/ certain valves.