• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

17” front wheel on early concours

I’m trying

Second post here.

Sorry if this has been covered, but all I see in the tech section is the 17” front conversion for 94 and up bikes.

Is there a tech article for converting an 86-93 front end to the 17” wheel.

If not what is required from the newer bikes to do this upgrade? Complete front end? Triple trees only? Forks only? 

I don't think it's easy on the early model bikes...it is on the later model bikes...but, you can put the later model front end on your bike.

Start with the '94 and newer forks...they will slide right into your existing triple tree...but, they will require the newer model brake rotors, to match the 17" wheel you will choose...and calipers...to bolt up to the newer fork legs...along with a fender to match the 17" wheel of your choosing...ZR750 Zephyr...ZX6D (I think)...or, other...then, add in an axle to match the wheel...a speedometer drive...and, I think you'll be all set...

Feel free to ask questions...I made this conversion to my '88 a few years ago...and, would be glad to answer any questions you might have...see this link...http://forum.cog-online.org/tiressuspension-c10/'97-forks-and-wheels-on-an-'88/msg175657/#msg175657

Good luck!

Thanks.

I was thinking it had something to do with the caliper mounts on the for legs and rotors.

If I can avoid having to replace the triples it seems like a simple project. It’ll give me a chance to rebuild fresh forks too. The ones I have now ride well but have a lot of initial dive under braking.

Anyone selling 94+ front end components?

I’m trying said:
Thanks.

I was thinking it had something to do with the caliper mounts on the for legs and rotors.

If I can avoid having to replace the triples it seems like a simple project. It’ll give me a chance to rebuild fresh forks too. The ones I have now ride well but have a lot of initial dive under braking.

Anyone selling 94+ front end components?

When you do the new forks, install Race Tech cartridge emulators and tighten them about 3 turns tighter than delivered, 1.0 kg/mm springs, 15 wt oil and you will have a very stable, not harsh, controlled front end.  It will then show you how bad the rear is.  Replacing the rear shock oil with 15 wt fork oil is *surprisingly* good, too.  I installed a Hagon rear shock.  It was a little harsh unless 2-up, but I liked it.  I wore out an R1150RT with that setup in N. GA. 

Go with 4-piston calipers.  They feel better, but won't feel like they are much more powerful until you REALLY need them.  Larger diameter discs won't hurt, but the increase in brake torque is negligible. 

Have good 18" front tires gone away?  110/80-18 and 170/60-17 are the sizes used on ST1100s, Triumph Trophy 1200 and a bunch of Ducatis.