• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

17" MS rear wheel conversion

John_Atkinson

Can anyone direct me to the site(s) for the Mean Streak wheel conversion?

Also, any words of wisdom from those who have taken the plunge?

thanks in advance,
JA

As a full member go to the Resources drop down, then to the tech pages. Go down and there is an article for both the 17 rear and 17 front wheel conversion. It will give you what has to be done to the wheel to make it fit a C-10. I have seen several posts with people using the 17" wheel and brake swaps from other bikes for enhanced performance. The search listed above can be your friend.

Most of the tech pages are old but so our are bikes. Some of the information may have newer information that can be found by searches.

Tech pages are your friend. I printed out the maching part and handed it to my machinist. Worked out perfectly.
Only word of advice is look out.🤔😋😋
You'll love it. Ran mine for a year with a Shinko 777 on it and made a slight difference. Wore that baby down and just installed front and rear radial Dunlop Roadsmart III and hot damn. What a huge difference it makes. Can't wait until I do the front wheel 17" conversion.

Attachments

• 69CF2D57-30BB-4D93-A43A-696F4EC1907A.jpeg
    69CF2D57-30BB-4D93-A43A-696F4EC1907A.jpeg
    203.2 KB · Views: 148
Wow, never realized that folks ran a belted on a 17".
Assumed that all who went to 17", did so to allow a better choice in radial tires.

Look at the image; The 17" belted tire is "considerably" taller than the 16" belted.
And, both are considerably taller than most radial's would be.
But, there is 1 sized radial available, that also has a larger diameter.

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
Taller is a cheaper 7th gear mod aye? Wonder what it is like with a 7th gear mod? RPMS at 80MPH say?

Last edited:
I follow you.
I just didn't think of the belted tire when discussing tire diameters for the 17" wheel.
My OOPs..

Here are the Radial sizes I was thinking of.
170/60 (Shorter than OEM Radial tire), vs 160/70 (Taller than OEM Radial Tire)

Size comparison; (Select "Overlay" to better see the difference in diameter)
https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=170-60r17-160-70r17

Possible tire; https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/metzeler-roadtec-z6-sport-touring-tires?sku_id=454515

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
when i did my MS rear conversion i too went with the roadsmarts. big difference. i went the 160/70 route for 2 reasons. slightly taller for slightly fewer rpm on the slab and b. higher weight rating. my poor C10 thinks its a truck for all the stuff i pack on it for trips.

did you see the article on Brittany Morrow in the AMA journal. atgatt folks. poor kid....
-tdbru

I went with the PR4GTs, but only available in the 170/60 size. Love them in the rain, with a fresh cleaning of the windscreen and face shield on the helmet with lemon pledge I can ride confidently and have great vision in heavy rain.

With the lower profile tire my speedo is indicating speed by about 3-5mph over actual speed by comparasion to GPS and the trailers the police setup to show your speed. Next time I ride with the GPS I will have to equate rpms to actual speed and post. If any of you that are running the 160/70 could do the same it would be interesting to see the differences in rpms and indicate if you have the 7th gear mod, which I don't have.