• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

190/50 or 190/55 why?

timbo

Moped
I'm going to go ahead and get some new tires since they are on sale. I see some of you guys are getting the 190/55 for the rear instead of the stock 190/50. Why is that? What are the advantages? Any negatives?

Larry said:
I currently have a ProjekD tire hugger on my 2010.  Will putting a 190/55 still fit?

A 190/50 tires has a side profile of 95mm. A 190/55 has a side profile of 104.5mm. So the 55 series tire will be approximately 9.5mm (0.374015 ") higher than the 50 series tire.

ok same tire different size one is the 50 and other is the 55 , would one last longer then the other as in center tread ? i have only used 55 on all my bikes so dont no about the 50

tony said:
ok same tire different size one is the 50 and other is the 55 , would one last longer then the other as in center tread ? i have only used 55 on all my bikes so dont no about the 50

I've been told that the tread depth (cover rubber) is the same and that the shape of the tire is different, not the actual thickness.

The owner's manual said not to change from the stock tire size. It may through off the ABS and traction controll. Has anyone found this to be a problem?

The owner's manual said not to change from the stock tire size. It may through off the ABS and traction controll. Has anyone found this to be a problem going to thr 55?

Hey all, I have run several of both on my Connie. I like some things about each, the 55 series makes it way easier to get the bike on the center stand, and decreases the gap between speedometer speed and GPS speed. I know it theoretically turns in quicker, but I live in Florida where thats generally not an issue :'(... what I don't like is that it seems to "flat spot" faster than a 50 series. After not so many miles, there is a very noticeable transition between the center tread and the sides of the tire. I have noticed this on two 55 series Michelin's so far. Not as noticeable a transition on the 50 series tire that is not quite so tall (think of the pointy end of an egg vs the rounded end).

I hope this make sense, there are a couple of us here in the north of Tampa area (where there are some turns ::)) that swap tires alot. We generally put a fresh set on a few times a year to go to N. GA and then try to use them the rest of the way up by commuting them to death. I have about 60K on my '08.

BTW the ABS works just fine with both sizes.