• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

1983 GS1100E Vs. 2002 V-Rod

Bud

One of the bikes I wish I never sold was an 83 GS1100E.  Blue it was.  Used with 4,000 mi for $2750 in 83.  It felt like a 750 as far as weight goes.  Man what a bike.  Here's proof of what a beast those 1100E's were!
https://youtu.be/mB7U8tZFpBo :motonoises: :motonoises:

I had a red 82 GS1100E which looked like the one being raced. 

Had some serious old school kick to it.

In 83 they started welding the cranks due to some twisting in the earlier years.

The Suzuki's were great bikes except the motor is almost two feet wide. :-[  Last year I sold my 83' GS750ED after I got my 84' Sabre.

Kelly E said:
The Suzuki's were great bikes except the motor is almost two feet wide. :-[  Last year I sold my 83' GS750ED after I got my 84' Sabre.
It's all what you're comparing it to.  Compared to the CBX's, they were skinny!

Kelly E said:
The Suzuki's were great bikes except the motor is almost two feet wide.

Air cooling and hanging stuff off the end of the crank definitely fattened 'em up.

suzimotor.JPG

I bet the bottom end was as wide as a CBX's.

cbx.JPG

Bud said:
Kelly E said:
It's all what you're comparing it to.  Compared to the CBX's, they were skinny!

jambing in that second set of valves is why the engine appeared so wide..
advertised width was still just 30"

my 78 KZ1000B Ltd, had an advertised width of 2" wider tho.. (32" w) I think that was because of those rediculous 'Brahma Bull Pull back bars... which came off and were replaced by 'normal'  (Daytona bend) bars as soon as I bought it in '79...
and the super small tank on it gave it the appearance of being huge at the time... and it was not a 4 valve per cyl engine..

both weighed the same also... surprisingly....

clearly 'wider' across the bottom than either Conni...

Attachments

• DSCF0050 midi.jpg
    DSCF0050 midi.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 108
I had the first year 1980 GS1100e, red, standard styling.  I liked this style better than the change in 1982, same motor though.  I've had a lot of bikes and this might of been my favorite.  In the early 1980s it was the king of the hill per quarter mile.  I was 20 in 1980 and I remembering getting Cycle magazine and the quarter mile times were what interested me the most.  Now rarely do they publish quarter mile times. 

There is a 1982 GS1100 (don't know if it is a e or?) at a local bike shop. it only has 26000kms on it and they are asking $3500 CDN. Seems like a good price to me. It's a beauty and if I had the room and time to ride it....

Got back into big bore riding after a few years off riding 250's and 600's.
1983 GS1100ED. Loved that bike. Rode it all over northern New England and had a blast. Once I fixed the dreaded rectifer/ regulator and the stator issues ;), it was great.  :))
It was only due to lack of weather protection that I got the Connie over her.
Great bike and made many a long friends due to the GSResources forum :beerchug: :great:
assortedpics060-1.jpg

The sportier V-Rod (w/ inverted forks, mid-mount pegs and shorter bars) was a hoot to ride. Of course, Harley loves to kill anything "performance"-focused. Cough cough FXR cough Buell...

That said, the bike I'd love to own from back in the day is a bone-stock ZL1000 Eliminator.