• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

1995 C10 Owner from Rendon TX (Near Ft. Worth)

mbrew

Howdy,

I'm Mike Brewster and I just stopped in to introduce myself. I've been studying on these bikes for a while so I've spent a bunch of time here already, but I'm sure I'll have questions as I start to turn my book knowledge into practical knowledge. I also mostly lurk at ADV and I'm fairly active on the Two Wheeled Texans board.

This is the story of me bringing the bike home. There's probably more info there than most will want to read, but there's a picture in there as well. For those with lots of time on their hands there's a couple of links to more info on the bike. As far as I can tell its had at least 4 owners now.

For now it has a fork brace, Throttlemiester (not working), Corbin seat, tank bra and big Givi trunk. Planned improvements are a new front tire, Highway pegs, maybe tip over bars, windshield, lights for the trunk, relocate the helmet locks and I need a left antler plus some small stuff. Long term - who knows?

Thanks for the info y'all have put up, its been helpful.

Happy Motoring,
Mike

Welcome Mike,
As the South Central Area Director I can help you with any questions you have.  You should pop over to cogmos the main members web interface and see what is on the calendar, view our area pages and latest newsletter.  If you can not find your way let me know.  We hope that you will find all of it to your liking and consider joining the club.
Welcome again and see you on the road.

HEY MIKE!
Welcome aboard! I am in the West Mansfield area and on the Rendon side. (off 1187 and 528/broad) This is a great site and full of helpful advice with very knowledgable people. If you work on the bike it will be an invaluable asset. The membership gives you access to tons of documented fixes and upgrades and is a very cheap investment! I would love to get together some time in the near future. Once these yankees  >:D go back to Green Bay and Pittsburg I guess we will have riding weather again  :p You know us Texans just wanted them to feel at home! LOL

I look forward to getting to know you.
Doug and ConRad!

I'm just off 1187 about halfway between 287 and 35. Between Hoots and Rendon burgers. I have a pretty good size shop and have done a few tech days here with the TWT bunch. This weather has sucked - particularly with a new to me bike in the garage. See you around.

Yep.. Know right where you are.. Love them big ol greasy rendon burgers!.. Look forward to getin together once the muck goes away! I guess you just have to be satisfied riding around in circles in your shop till then!  :))

Welcome from El Campo, Mike.  I hope we get to meet up on a ride this year.  There's a number of COGgers in you general vicinity, so you are in good comapny up there.  Have fun, shame yall aren't having the gorgeous day we just had.  70's and sunshine.  I just got home from a spin.  Beautiful.

Rev Ryder said:
Welcome from El Campo, Mike.  I hope we get to meet up on a ride this year.  There's a number of COGgers in you general vicinity, so you are in good comapny up there.  Have fun, shame yall aren't having the gorgeous day we just had.  70's and sunshine.  I just got home from a spin.  Beautiful.

Oh it turned out beautiful allright. Only about 60 and sand all over the roads kept me on 4 wheels for them though.  :-\ 
Hope you were able to get out in it Mike!  :D
Suppose to get nasty again later but we had a great break for the Superbowl set up. Look forward to a good week of the niceness though! I miss ConRad! :'(

Welcome to the COGdom Mike. Your gonna like it here!
Since your a Texican I guess it's ok to invite you.
Come ride Big Bend with us in a few weeks. Last weekend in March.....
Great ride to meet other COGgers. (Most of whom will be other Texicans)

Go to "Big Bend, Ride the Twisties" discussion to find out more. I think it is on the other Forum, but may be some on this one as well.....
The discussions are all running together in my feeble mind.
NOTE: On the other Forum we've been talking to another new COGger in the Dallas area. He's wanting to meet others in his area.
          I'll try to find the notes so ya can talk with him...

Ride safe, Ted

I hate to say this out loud, but I'd try to keep the bulk of the discussion here rather than there since this IS a COG oriented function.  But the main posters in the "other" thread aren't posting here much. 

Rev Ryder said:
I hate to say this out loud, but I'd try to keep the bulk of the discussion here rather than there since this IS a COG oriented function.  But the main posters in the "other" thread aren't posting here much.

Here Here!! This is THE official COG site!

Sorry I missed making it up for the meet and eat Mike! Hopefully since the weather is supposed to be  beautiful this weekend we can get together..

In principal, I agree with both of ya'.
But if you look at both sites, there is more discussion going on there. I have no idea why that is??
I've been reading and replying there as that is where the discussions I'm interested in are taking place.
I promise to do better in the future..

Sure gets confusion sometimes!!

Ride safe, Ted

There is a good deal of friendly crossover and some really strong Coniacs and great people on both sides.  :) I started out there when researching before getting my 06 and have put most my eggs here in support of their efforts to solve the issues and grow the base. Mostly it's my desire to avoid all the negative and socio-political type talk that has sealed my support here.
The other side WAS this side before breaking away from the club to stand alone. It has time and followers on it's side thus the bigger base + loyal followers from being the initial COG forum. There is great information there that is not here and here that is not there.  :-\
If they could have come to real terms like adults it would have been best and conciderably less confusing.  :eek:

Instead I try and enjoy them both for their strengths.. I hate politics, they make me argumentative against my will!! or because of my will... Hmmmm

MBrew, are you free during any days? Perhaps in the area lunchtime Friday? Kitty will be at school and I would be free to get together.
Saturday is possible also if not but I have music practice 10-12 or so..

I'm mostly retired - not necessarily by choice - so I'm available most days. I'm anticipating pulling off the front wheel on Friday for inspection/balancing and probably adjusting the head bearings. Friday evening, I'll go to "Ice Cream Bikes" up in N. Richland Hills. I have no current plans for Saturday now, but I'll probably be itching to get at least a short ride in.

If you haven't checked on the Ice cream bikes thread, its on the part of the forum where the Tuesday night thing was. Don't bother reading the whole thing (like you could) just get the address from the first post and then go to the end. People usually start to commit at some point during the day on Friday if they're coming.

Cool deal.. (Ice cream!) I will watch for the time on that run.  Will you be doing the work at the shop I suppose? I would be interested in coming to meet and wrench with ya. I am back home about 8am or so and would love to join you. There is some good info on the site here for head bearing set up. Hate to hear of the unrequited retirement relationship. I spent 5 months prior to landing my current job and was semi-retired doing odd jobs for family and friends. Saturday is suppose to be beautiful.

connie_rider said:
In principal, I agree with both of ya'.
But if you look at both sites, there is more discussion going on there. I have no idea why that is??
I've been reading and replying there as that is where the discussions I'm interested in are taking place.

Because until recently, the software on this site was nigh unusable.  This upgrade is awesome.  But people are creatures of habit.  The other site was usable and active for years.  So people got in the habit.  IIWII.

Good point.
I tried this one previously, but was not using this one at all.
Then fairly recently I saw the new upgrades.
I hope it's use will continue to grow.

Ride safe, Ted

It will grow best if it is used as the primary venue and not as an afterthought or "also-ran".  I have tried to reduce my posts on the other forum in favor of this one hoping it would help a few folks also make the jump.  Hasn't worked I don;t suppose, but there are those who would follow if this became the place where rides and activities of all sorts were being discussed and not "yonder."

Mike!
It has been great getting ot know you and thanks for allowing me to come hangout and play like a wrencher. I look forward to getting together for some rides and meets. I expect we can tear into mine before much longer.

I have seen quite a bit of new activity here. A number of new faces and some with few postings that have been around for a while. I use to be able to get through my "unread posts since last visit" link in fairly short order but it takes a while now.  :))

I enjoy the Two Wheeled Texan site for local activity but they are heavily geared toward dual sport and a bit chatty off topic. I can hardly do the other cog due to such a heavy presence of political and other opinion based dribble posting. Mostly I can fall into the trap of fighting opinion with opinion and it is a good exercize but fairly pointless (in my opinion  >:D ) especially on a family motoring site..

I am excited with the growth and look really forward to meeting more riders of this great machinery..

I enjoy the Two Wheeled Texan site for local activity but they are heavily geared toward dual sport and a bit chatty off topic. I can hardly do the other cog due to such a heavy presence of political and other opinion based dribble posting. Mostly I can fall into the trap of fighting opinion with opinion and it is a good exercize but fairly pointless (in my opinion  ) especially on a family motoring site..

Yeah, we have some of that (Political and other opinion based) here too.
I generally try to ignore most of it. But occasionally I like to stirr the Pot jest for practice..  C:)
On the chatty off topic stuff I guess I'mm guilty, but it's really fun picking on Jim and Rev....  >:D

Glad you two were able to meet up. There is another guy in that area trying to get in touch with other COGgers. Goes by the name Brain Deaf. He's on the other site.

Colin, well done on the site. I like it!!

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
I enjoy the Two Wheeled Texan site for local activity but they are heavily geared toward dual sport and a bit chatty off topic. I can hardly do the other cog due to such a heavy presence of political and other opinion based dribble posting. Mostly I can fall into the trap of fighting opinion with opinion and it is a good exercize but fairly pointless (in my opinion  ) especially on a family motoring site..

Yeah, we have some of that (Political and other opinion based) here too.
I generally try to ignore most of it. But occasionally I like to stirr the Pot jest for practice..  C:)
On the chatty off topic stuff I guess I'mm guilty, but it's really fun picking on Jim and Rev....  >:D

Glad you two were able to meet up. There is another guy in that area trying to get in touch with other COGgers. Goes by the name Brain Deaf. He's on the other site.

Colin, well done on the site. I like it!!

Ride safe, Ted

Thanks Ted! I will try and look him up!

Without a doubt Forums all have "other than focus" discussions, as well they should! I partake and stir up a bit myself! And if your not careful I will smite you!  :p Oh Yeah... we did away with that!  ;D

I like the jesting and fun side of it and my concern and draw here isn't a complete lack of other points of discussion rather the way that pretty much all on this form have (or at least prtend to have! >:D ) respect for other members and visitors.
The moderators have done a great job of keeping it more than civil and allowing fun "until someone gets hurt"  :p

Believe me! I am here out of self preservation and for my mental health. (Scarry Thought HUH! :-\ ) I had to turn off the radio when I started my survivalist/ammo bunker complete with remote weapons in preparation for the coming US invasion from within and without! I bought a CONCOURS instead!  8)

doug

Lets see if I can make this response PC.
It is more active over there because that site was built up over several years with the support and for the betterment of COG.  It was originally registered in our name.  When the guy running the site became unhappy with events within the club he took over the site as his own but never let anyone know he was not working with COG anymore.  This action is still under review, as it were, since the site still flies COG logos in some areas and other issues.  The owner refuses to allow the forum to be part of COG again so we had to launch our own.  The forum built into the member service site we use was poor so not that long ago we had to switch to this software.

smithr-scad said:
Lets see if I can make this response PC.
It is more active over there because that site was built up over several years with the support and for the betterment of COG.  It was originally registered in our name.  When the guy running the site became unhappy with events within the club he took over the site as his own but never let anyone know he was not working with COG anymore.  This action is still under review, as it were, since the site still flies COG logos in some areas and other issues.  The owner refuses to allow the forum to be part of COG again so we had to launch our own.  The forum built into the member service site we use was poor so not that long ago we had to switch to this software.

Well put Bob  :D And a fabulous job of it has been done!
The other side was where I first found a forum involving the Concours and I shortly afterwards found home!
It was a matter of quality that had me buy in here.
I hope that's not too un-PC..