• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2 drops in 12 months and bonehead bonus

goldylox

Well, I was prepared to beg for mercy...but my practical spouse reminded me - everyone drops sooner or later!
My sad story(s), sorry no pics:

Part 1 - In June 2013 I found a nice shortish route (~4 hrs) north of me near Baltimore, MD
http://www.sundaymorningrides.com/road/4613696/detail "Monkton Run" (this is about the most I get to ride 95% of the time)
Have you every pulled up to a 'Stop' sign on a cambered back road where you are on an incline, and you want to turn right sharply. My error was vainly hoping I could slow but roll through, and then that damn car appeared and I had to come to a full stop and...you know when everything goes slomo and you see your steed crumpling below you as you vainly try to resist gravity's pull on 600 lbs of steel, rubber, plastic and fluids?  :(
It's immortalized on my GPS now as a 'point of interest.'

Part 2 - In September 2014, I had just returned from a parent-teacher meeting at my daughter's preschool (she's 4) and was stowing Connie in the driveway. As I have been experiencing more recently, I was having trouble getting it up on the centerstand. I have oscillated over time between having no problem and a bear of a time. This was the bear type.
After three unsuccessful attempts I rested and thought "I'll give it one more try and then call it a day." One too many.
Slomo camera please...as I watched it capsize away from me, I got a nice gash on my left shin from the footpeg and to seal the deal, completely snapped off the right footpeg. Got to order two replacement parts for $110, thank you very much, only to peek at what is involved in removing a footpeg and immediately went in search of a stiff drink (okay, well not really, I was just completely deflated since my wrenching skills are marginal at best).  :truce:
I will now search the archives to find the collective wisdom about changing out footpegs without removing the swingarm (uhhh...is that even possible???)

Bonus Epic Fail from the Silverdammit National Rally.
It started all so innocently. I thought on the morning I was leaving, "Hey! All this stuff is not fitting in my duffel the way it did coming down. Oh well, it'll be fine..." Finished loading the bike with my handy dandy ROK Straps and headed up Route 26W a few miles to catch I-81 back up to Maryland. A minute after I got on I-81 I looked in my mirrors and thought "Huh! What a great view behind me! Nothing flapping around, nothing blocking my vision..........?!!!! #@%^&*!!!"
I made the quickest U-turn safely manageable and went back down to Rt 26 and sure enough, 1 mile before I had gotten on to I-81, there was the remains of all my duffel bag contents strewn on both sides of the road. After a good "pressure treatment" by probably 50 semis, at least 100 other vehicles, and what have you, not much was left of my clothing, sleeping bag, tent, folding chair, toiletries, snacks, Thermarest, two books, house/office keys, etc. Lucky for me, my water bottle, rain gear, and other essentials were in the saddlebags. To his credit, a gentleman driving a pickup truck saw me attempting to collect stuff and offered to help, then backed up from the entrance ramp to go on the overpass to see if he could help me track down things I couldn't see from the ground level. I appreciated his thoughtfulness, but it only meant finding yet more stuff that was completely destroyed and not worth retrieving.  ???
I collected a bunch of things just out of desperation, and then basically left a pile of junk on the roadside after I realized it was a complete loss and I probably could have just kept going and not worried about it in the end. Things like this keep me humble, at least most of the time.  :'(
I figure my replacement cost was probably about $500  if I was lucky.

Alright, that's enough for the confession box tonight.
Keep the rubber side down, and your boots on the pegs.
Over and out,
Doug

Wow Doug. I hate that for you. What an incredible string of sucko events. Hang in there. On the other hand, your write up was great and that Sunday Morning Rides site is worth a posting all by itself. Hope you have better luck, but post up when you need some help with stuff like foot peg removal and someone on here will know how to do it. Hang in there!
Ron

In a way I'm kinda jealous - I've been on parts of Monkton Run and that is some beautiful country!  I know exactly what you mean about having to stop on a cambered road.  And I gave up on the centerstand years ago.  I drive it up on a 2x4 if I need it up for service - much easier to work the centerstand if the rear end is up a little.

And each of those stories qualifies you for the award, even without the additional sympathy you drew from the duffel bag story.  And so it has now become my sad duty to confirm you as the 529th recipient of the uncoveted Connie Droppers Anonymous Award.  You have yet another tale to share around a Rally campfire.  My sincerest condolences!

The five most recent unfortunates:
0525 C14 Ahmet Beyhan
0526 C10 Brian Frankenfield
0527 C10 Frazier Johnston
0528 C10 Catrinus Wallet
0529 C10 Doug Belling

Funny how it was mentioned that all of the drops were C-14s and suddenly we get a lot of C-10 drop reports...  :(

Doug,
Let me know if/when you need a hand with the peg replacement and/or anything else.
Matt

I'm down by UMD College Park.

Doug,
I would have laughed at you, but that was exactly the way I had my 1st drop... there was even sand on the low side of the cambered road near the stop sign.
Sorry about your gear, that would stink. Call me an optimist... better on your way home than on your way there, and you got to meet a nice person that offered to help.

Jorge

Poor Doug dropped his Connie, 'tis a tale of woe...  :-[

Not once but two times, he complaineth, and so...  :-X

He's awarded one CDA, for her getting so low...  :truce:

For the ravish of the peg, that failed at the blow...  :(

Adding insult to injury, his duffel didst go...  :eek:

To the ditch, what a *$%@#, quite a banquet of crow.  ::)

Sorry 'bout yer luck pal.  Welcome to da club. 
No puling the swingarm to change pegs.