• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2 knees and 2 shoulders replaced

nomoreusmc6802

I'm a new guy to the forum. Just bought a 2005 C10. I tend to like older bikes and have been off work for 7 months. So the cheaper C10 was a great option for me. I stole the one I found. Even with the unintentional gas cap rebuild.

Now I am looking at the bike, and seeing if there's any thing I can do to make the bike more comfortable for me. I've had 18 knee surgeries on my right knee and 7 on the left, my left shoulder reconstructed. First week of July I'm getting my right shoulder reconstructed\replaced and first week of January I get my left knee replacement. So I am looking for options that are going to make my life easier.

Disclaimer - I have only ridden the bike to 20mph because the tires are so terrible.

Bike has (pretty sure) murphs pegs and murphs handlebar risers. And a top case. Looks rock stock after that. I have already ordered a +1 tall and +2 wide windscreen and tires. Not happy with the tire selection but I can fix that this winter after I heal up. But are there any other input on parts that will make my ride more comfy?

Alot of people ask me why I don't stop riding, and the simple answer is, I can move with out much pain. It's more than just freedom and wind for me. My Harley just isn't as comfortable as I wanted. Forward controls and swept back bars and risers almost made it worse. Then I did a buddy a favor and rode his Suzuki bandit to a barn while he rode his Connie. I found the "standard " ujm position was much more comfortable for me. Almost no knee pain, and then there's the power and revs I have missed. Got to love a sport bike, spent my first almost 20 years on Gixxers and bandits and I moved to Harley when I got a job building custom Harleys and custom Harley parts. That's when I decided to try out other brands which is how I ended up with the Connie. Growing up with dot head and srad Gixxers I like a heavier bike and I like to go long distance, the only thing I wish she had was EFI.

If anyone needs help with a big twin Harley or high end tig welding I would be happy to help.

The C-10 has all kinds of possibilities to make it more comfortable to you.
{{Handlebars/pegs/seat/ride height/etc...}}
Your ability to do TIG inceases those possibilities.
May be best to wait until after surgeries to see what changes are best for you?

NOTE: Where are you located? You could go t o a COG event to see what others have done and see if those mods are more comfortable for you.

EFI has been done on a C-10. They discovered that the EFI made it more powerful and adjusts the torque curve.
But the EFI install is pretty difficult and expensive. (Rev Rider is the person that could give you details on how to do it)
After you try the C-10 and if you get to the EFI point, a better option {than adding EFI} would be a C-14.
The C-14 already has EFI, lots more power (50+ HP increase), improved shocks, etc.
They also have lots of mods available for ride comfort.

Ride safe, Ted

I'm a new guy to the forum.
Welcome to the group!
But are there any other input on parts that will make my ride more comfy?
Riders here come in all shapes and sizes.
For me, with hardly any legs and 27" inseam, getting on or off the bike is a real challenge, so I remove them obstacles to get better contact with the ground. Some riders have legs longer than my body, and so they suffer from lack of leg room. I can ride all day and not get any cramps cause I have a lot of leg room. I stick with stock wind shield as it works for me.

Maybe you can list your dimensions to get some good feedback.

The C-10 has all kinds of possibilities to make it more comfortable to you.
{{Handlebars/pegs/seat/ride height/etc...}}
Your ability to do TIG inceases those possibilities.
May be best to wait until after surgeries to see what changes are best for you?

NOTE: Where are you located? You could go t o a COG event to see what others have done and see if those mods are more comfortable for you.

EFI has been done on a C-10. They discovered that the EFI made it more powerful and adjusts the torque curve.
But the EFI install is pretty difficult and expensive. (Rev Rider is the person that could give you details on how to do it)
After you try the C-10 and if you get to the EFI point, a better option {than adding EFI} would be a C-14.
The C-14 already has EFI, lots more power (50+ HP increase), improved shocks, etc.
They also have lots of mods available for ride comfort.

Ride safe, Ted
Thanks Ted, I am in swmo between Springfield and Joplin. Id love a c14 but not in the budget but when I go back to work (hopefully) the c14 or the BMW r1250rt will be on the menu! But the lack of electronics it one of the things that attracts me to the c10. I think I would enjoy esa, abs, traction control and everything else, but the c10 is so simple (in my limited Connie experience). I think I either want an easy to work on dinosaur šŸ¦– or I want all the toys with a warranty so I don't have to deal with it! Lol šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Welcome to the group!

Riders here come in all shapes and sizes.
For me, with hardly any legs and 27" inseam, getting on or off the bike is a real challenge, so I remove them obstacles to get better contact with the ground. Some riders have legs longer than my body, and so they suffer from lack of leg room. I can ride all day and not get any cramps cause I have a lot of leg room. I stick with stock wind shield as it works for me.

Maybe you can list your dimensions to get some good feedback.
I'm 6'1 about 230lbs. 36in inseam. Always ride with gear (helmet, jacket, jeans, boots, and gloves) if it makes a difference

Between Springfield and Joplin....hmm.. I'm probably just south of you. I don't have a Harley but have a friend that has one, so if he needs any work done on it I'll keep you in mind. Also, I'll keep you in mind if I need any tig welding done. Thanks.

I follow you on the budget. Just saying that a change to a C-14 is better than doing the EFI conversion.

At your height, the height of the bike should be fine. Raising the bars seem to be the best option for your shoulders, and would possibly help legs to due to more upright seating position.
An EZ/cheap method is bar risers.

Or you could do a conversion to tubular bars and get whatever shape/height you want. The adapters are getting hard to find, but possible.

Foot pegs can be lowered if you want with a kit from Murph's and (I think) Goldwing pegs. But it sounds like your comfortable with the footpegs you have now?

Those of us that like to tinker love the C-10 because it's so EZ to modify to our wants.
(I have a C-14 but kept my C-10 for just that reason).
Being a tinkerer, it's been modified a LOT.

Get more specific in your question and almost anything has been done. We can steer you to the answers.

As your near Ark. we'll be at Greenbriar Ark. next week for the Horseshoe Mountain Rally.
Come see the group.
(We'll talk to anyone).

Ride safe, Ted