• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2 minute mod

slybonesjesse

Sport Tourer
Hey Steve, How about some explanation and discussion of the 2 minute mod over here. With pics. Now that I am over the hill I need pics to understand where to shove the foam. 2003 Concours, 56K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://home.comcast.net/~slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

Now that I am over the hill I need pics to understand where to shove the foam.
But you're never too old to have someone tell ya where to shove it ;) Found that out last week. Few more weeks, I'll be having someone take pictures of it as well. I hate doctors.... http://millerized.com/pegs I'll be in the garage
welder.gif
COG 6425, CDA 111 a through g
member8960.png

Millerized said "Few more weeks, I'll be having someone take pictures of it as well." Um, are we talking about the bike or what your doctor did ?

So what are the results from the 2 minute mod. No I dont want a link. Discussion. Completely block right side? Only partially block one side? Was it better with or without the jet kit? 2003 Concours, 56K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://home.comcast.net/~slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

The results are pretty much what I expected - everyone got a boost below 5000 rpm. Those with the jet kit weren't reporting much loss on top, whereas those with stock carbs did. Same with fuel economy - those with stock carbs lost economy whereas the jet kit showed no or less loss. all of this is to be expected, as the blockage is richening the top end, so a jet change is in order to optimise the mod. Today I'm FINALLY going to get my hands on the 98 that I built the jet kit on- It's owned by another Cogger who rides it as a commuter daily, and he's well tuned into the bike. I'm gonna block the intake and turn him loose to report power and economy. I'll adjust his jetting from there and offer something to everyone when I'm satisfied with it. While I have permanently reduced the inlet on Shoodaben, the bike is so far from stock I can't use it to tune a stock bike. The results are the same, but the jetting won't be. BTW, the restricted intake is staying installed on shoodaben, this bike is torquier and faster now than it's ever been, and with the restriction and proper jetting I'm getting the best fuel economy I've ever seen in over 4 years of modding. Steve

Thanks. I believe I read the original idea was a 3"x 3"x 1" piece of foam and completely block the right side. Does it matter if you did 2 - 1.5" pieces and let say blocked the outside part of each side and had the air flow more down the middle. Some tried smaller pieces, like only blocking 1/2 one side. How did that work out? Did everyone go back to the full size? Thanks again. 2003 Concours, 56K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://home.comcast.net/~slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

Can someone point out where this topic started? I searched for 2minute mod, airbox mod, foam inserted, no luck. I'm interrested in seeing what this is all about. thanks rog

This kinda goes back to what I said in my original post on the subject - "let's not get to technical". All I was trying to do was see if the blockage did what I'd been experiencing, that being an increase in low rpm torque. The idea never was to be a "be all end all" modification as originally posted - it was to confirm for me that proceeding with this as a viable engine tweak, when combined with proper jetting . While a blockage of some sort is definitely a help for the lower rpms, it needs to be optimised by rejetting. I think alot of guys have left the foam in, but ultimately I need to offer jetting to go along with it. A big part of the problem here is guys over - anylizing this thing. They really don't know what I'm going after; they just see "blockage" and next thing it's all bout solenoid- operated flapper valves, floding doors, someone even suggested an internal balloon,etc. The fact is that I'm trying to come up with something that works great and is inexpensive. When you start getting technical, frugal and inexpensive goes out the window, and there's no performance to be gained over a simple blockage. So to go back to 1/ blocked, 1/4 blocked, split blocked - it really isn't such a big deal until the jetting is all worked out with a specific airbox inlet size. make sense? Steve

Thanks Steve. Yup makes sense. I agree with the "lets not get too technical" part. I did see where people have gone crazy with all the flappers, valves, etc. That was sorta why my question here. I was not interested in wading through all that and trying to draw up some conclusion on my own. I knew it would be tough keeping track of all that. The summaries provided here are enough. Thanks. Here is where I was getting all technical on you. I guess in my case I was trying to make a 2 x 3 matrix of partial blocked, full blocked on X-axis, AND stock jets, originial jet kit, future optomized jet kit on the Y-axis. -- I see from the inital summary how the full blocked behaves with the stock jets, original jet kit, and will assume the optomized jet kit like you personally have will be perfect. -- I can assume that a partial block will have less effects on a stock kit, and might be perfect for the original jet kit. At least in terms of jetting etc. But this left the nagging question of "Are people reporting any improved torque with a partial blocked setup"? OR Is this a full block or nothing kinda thing. I guess that was the purpose of my follow on question. Sorry for not being clear. I believe I have the answer. Thanks again. BTW, A BIG THANKS!! for all that you do to make our Connies better. 2003 Concours, 56K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://home.comcast.net/~slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

Whether partially or fully blocked on one side, everyone reported better low rpm throttle response. As far as stock jetting vs my jet kit, the stock jetting will show more high rpm power loss due to a WAY overly rich mixture. I expect my kit is going to rich also on top, but because it has smaller mains it won't be AS rich. On my bike, I have to tell you, it has awesome low rpm torque with a restricted intake. I had to reduce my main jets to get the top end back but it really wants to just rev off the tach if I let it - and that's with stock cams. Fact is, the restriction really works, especially for sharpening part throttle response. You go fast without much effort. I'm hoping to get my bike on the dyno this weekend, and hopefully the 98 I built the jet kit on also. Since that bike is stock with a couple of my treaks, i want to see a foam/ no foam comparison. Just have to get it's new owner to sigh the waiver ... (hey where's the "crazy in the head" Icon? ) Steve